Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

92 accord paint price, lol wut.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$1300 will get you a full color change in florida

$5500 is ferrari prices man
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

If its going to be a race car, you could do a roller paint job. I definitely wouldn't spend much money on a paint job
      92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
      2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
      2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Bro at the shop I work at here in Cali we charge 1200 to sand and spray it. That's not including dings and dents. Its also a three stage process for the most part... In most cases there is no need to take it down to bare metal. Removing the clear and a sealer over it would be fine.. As long as there is no rust or flaking.. But 5500 is on the high side.. 1500 to 2000 would be in the better price range...

Comment

The cost of painting a car varies depending on shop and the amount of prep work. If the shop is charging 5K, are they remvoing dents, fixing any rust, sanding, prepping, and getting a very rare paint color/scheme? $5,500.00 for a paint job seems very high. As wha tmost of the others have said, it this isn't going to be a show qaulity car, 5.5K is very high, there are places that can do it for a fifth of that price. If qaulity isn't a concern, just go to Maaco and get it painted! Maybe 600 tops but be warned, thier paint jobs are no better than an amatuer with a spray gun. I would suggest doing it yourself, for all the prep work and paint you'll maybe spend $3-$400 dollars. My brother and i painted his 98 integra for well under $500. Came out pretty decent, by no means was it a professional looking paint job but for day to day use, it's fine. My reccomendation is to do it yourself. It's good experience to paint an entire car yourself. If it looks crap at the end, take it to a shop, at least you'll get a ball park price as to why the prices vary so much in painting a car.

Comment

He said without repairs... so I assume that means no repairs of dents, rust, etc... Sounds like that's just prep and paint, and he'll be doing most of the prep himself.

As said, that's Ferrari prices right there! I love my CB7, but there's no way in hell I'm putting $5500 worth of paint on it.

Comment

The paint is the cheap part of that quote. Most body shops charge 45 - 60 an hour for labor, so imagine you are having them do everything for you; as in you drive a complete car into the shop, and drive it out complete with fresh paint, no dents, etc. You can see how the bill can get that high. The paint materials themselves only cost the shop a couple hundred dollars, they have a contract with a major paint supplier to stock it and pay wholesale bulk for the stuff.

If you aren't comfortable painting the car yourself, disassemble and prep the car for paint, then bring it to them. If you aren't comfortable with prepping the car, at least pull lights, windows and trim off the car, and bring it to the shop. If you find the right production body shop that doesn't mind doing side jobs (what business doesn't like money???) you can get a screaming deal. Of course look over the collision repair jobs going out the door to determine if this is the place you want to spend your money!
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Maaco is a pretty good paint job usually if you prep yourself. If you do your own sanding in my experience the job can look factory quality. I don't believe they sand at all which is the main reason the Maaco job may look thin or well hard to describe but I'm sure you've seen them before. I had my bumpers, hood, roof and trunk sprayed after sanding they look shiny and clean. My fenders and doors however where not sanded when sprayed by Maaco and they are too thin with paint to even wax/polish or anything to make them shine.
                If your car has any rust you might as well fix the dings and rust yourself . If you mess up sand it off its not that big of a deal. You can use products designed to stop rust to help but short of cutting the rear fender off and welding a new one on our friend Rusty will return within 2 years no matter who fixes it. If you have rust on doors, front fenders anything removable get one from the junk yard that doesent have rust/dings before you paint. Don't forget to do stylish shaved antennae, moulding and custom foglamp enclosures if you are going to now is the time.
                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Maaco will do any prep you pay them for. If you bring a beater in and say "I want the $200 paint job!", you'll get the $200 paint job.
                  You CAN drop $3000 at Maaco very easily, and the results will be good. Maaco doesn't use the best paint, and "real" shops can have much better quality paint... but as long as you find a Maaco with a good prep/paint guy, and a nanager/salesman that isn't 100% shady (the first guy that I dealt with was... didn't screw me, but he got fired for screwing many others.) you can get good results.

Comment

maaco quoted me 500 for a stock paint job without any clear (granted me do the prep work). i had my 240 painted from them, lasted me for 4-5 years until painted over it.

maaco might have a bad rep but it all depends where you go and who paints your shit

6 months waxed

2 years

right before the new paint ... circa 2010
                    Last edited by evilbender; 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I was thinking of painting the wagon on my own.
                      Might try it durring the summer. Just got to read up on it, really understand what goes into it yet.

Comment

it cost me 600 bucks a had a minor dent repair.but i had a re-spray of the same color so i didnt have the jams painted. for the same color with a clear coat it should cost about 1000 to 1200. if you take the car completely apart there are some advantages:
                        1) the paint shop wont break your (fill in your cuss word here)_____ like most do.
                        2) you get to know your cars parts better
                        3)cost
                        but then again you should pay a good amount for a paint job. take into consideration that its like a tattoo its permanent until you get it covered.

Comment

Agreed, I had a quote done for my truck and it was the bed and the whole outside for around the same price. I would knock down the paint to primer and do some touch up primer when you burn through. It seems impossible not to burn through somewhere. And if you hit it with primer don't grab the duplicolor, a good base will make all the difference. My first shot I didn't knock down the primer I sprayed and it looked like orange peel.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199548

Comment

I've got a car from our shop at the body shop....the quote was $35,000 for body work alone.....no paint......it's been there 9 months. Ive taken cars to macco....$400 later it's back. Lucky for me our two closest maccco's are really good. Iam not going to say you get what you pay for, because I know more than a few people who will do everything pretty reasonable ( 1 has magazine covers) just look around.

But for a race car.....sand that bitch and roll it.

Comment

i did the prep my self with a lil help from my hubby but mostly me,
                              he just got in the way lol but any how i did the prepping and fixed
                              any dents that i could because they will charge an arm and a leg for
                              each dent they see. After prepping i took it to my local shop went with
                              a purple look for about 600 the paint still looks new i have it since 2011
                              very happy with it. just go to different shops and compare prices. The first
                              shop they also wanted to charge 5k i was like no thank you and left but it did
                              come with a life warranty so if it chipped or cracked you can always get it fixed,
                              i opted out : )

Last edited by $oy-Cabrona87; 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

i got paint priced for my '93 CB7, the burnt orange paint they ran with the Fit ans Si's only cost me $400. And that includes prep, paint, gloss, and detailed finish.

Comment

Working...
                                X