9mm vs 45, Glock vs XD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigpoppa694lyfe View Post
    You can't hold the gun and see how well it fits you grip? Id never buy a firearm i couldn't at least hold and rack the slide a few times first.
    You can do that anywhere you can buy a gun.

He's talking about shooting it first.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Find or make a friend that has access to the different guns your interested in, and ask them if you shoot those guns at a range if you pay for your own rounds, and clean them afterwards.

Recently I got to shoot off several different handguns.

.22 Revolver
      9mm Glock
      Colt 45
      Desert Eagle

Between all of them, I preferred the .45, and if you can't take someone down at close range with 6 shots, you might as well take the oncoming beating. Otherwise if I wanted RPS I would find something that takes a clip.

9mm has stopping/disabling power, while still providing a chance to have a livable life afterwards (depending upon where shot) for the afflicted.

A .45 will mess things up pretty bad for the person on the other end of it regardless of where shot, still survivable but will be seriously regretting their actions that led up to that point for the rest of their life.
      Last edited by cloudasc; 10-08-2013, 03:27 PM.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
        I'd stay away from Ruger as my buddy had one and after he had clean it, and loaded it to put away, the safety malfunctioned and put a bullet through his dishwasher and into the metal drum of the washing machine. Luckily, the drum stopped it from going into the adjacent apartment.
        I'll just say I have serious doubts about "the safety failing". YOU are always the final safety on a gun. Sounds like your friend was relying on a mechanical safety and not being as careful as he should have been.

Anyhow,

I'd lean towards the .45 camp. It's a fantastic round with a lot of power behind it. You can often find extended magwell magazines for slightly more capacity (8-9 rounds in a 1911) which should be plenty.
        Originally posted by sweet91accord
        if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
          I'll just say I have serious doubts about "the safety failing". YOU are always the final safety on a gun. Sounds like your friend was relying on a mechanical safety and not being as careful as he should have been.

Anyhow,

I'd lean towards the .45 camp. It's a fantastic round with a lot of power behind it. You can often find extended magwell magazines for slightly more capacity (8-9 rounds in a 1911) which should be plenty.
          x2, sorry but also why would you clean it and then store it loaded....

Not good for the magazine anyway....I can understand keeping a loaded mag around but an actual loaded weapon i.e. duty carry, is unnecessary.

Comment

Glock... 40 cal. In my experience ammo price is within a few dollars at least in what i buy which is .380-.45. My 556 ammo gets expensive

Comment

I've talked to a SWAT officer who'd been shot about pistol calibers....he said "nobody care's how big the bullet is, all you care about is you got shot and you don't want to get shot again!". Point is anything 9mm-.45 is fine IMO. 9mm is easier to control, cheaper to shoot, and holds about 2x the rounds a similarly sized .45 magazine will hold. Remember you're not an assassin and your goal is not to "eliminate" but rather to "STOP" or "prevent". A 9mm will do the job just fine. People don't just keep running when they get shot like in the movies. Even a 9mm will knock most people down simply due to the shock of the bullet through the body!

As far as brand, Glock, XD, S&W, Ruger, Kahr are all quality weapons. You want to find one that fits YOU. It's comfortable to fire, handle fits your hand, you can control its recoil, you can conceal it on your body (if for carrying). Definitely test fire the guns before you buy!

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
              x2, sorry but also why would you clean it and then store it loaded....

Not good for the magazine anyway....I can understand keeping a loaded mag around but an actual loaded weapon i.e. duty carry, is unnecessary.
              Agree on your first point. Not so much the second. Don't want to start an argument but an unloaded gun is nothing but a paperweight. Loaded=chambered. I have a pistol, shotgun, and rifle. All 3 are always loaded (chambered and SAFE) unless I have company I don't trust with firearms OR children visiting.

That being said the best most effective safety is the one between your ears. "Unloaded" firearms kill more people in accidents than "loaded" ones. Always treat your gun like it's loaded (because it SHOULD be) and you will think twice before pointing it anywhere OR putting your finger on the trigger!
              My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post

That being said the best most effective safety is the one between your ears. "Unloaded" firearms kill more people in accidents than "loaded" ones. Always treat your gun like it's loaded (because it SHOULD be) and you will think twice before pointing it anywhere OR putting your finger on the trigger!
                Not sure how someone can be injured/killed with an unloaded weapon lol.

I think you mean a weapon that is "thought to be" unloaded, but actually is loaded, which would in fact make it loaded.

A weapon that has a round chambered, is considered duty carry and unless locked with a trigger lock, really isn't safe unless handled by someone who know's what they're holding.

Since you can't babysit that weapon 100% of the time(unless its locked behind a safe or it actually is a service weapon), then having it loaded at all times is just asking for a problem at some point.

Yes, a weapon unloaded is a paperweight, but a well thought out hidden magazine that is loaded and takes less then a 2s to load, is much better then just keeping it loaded at all times.

Again, this is just my opinion. Like you said, an unloaded pistol is a paperweight. So if it is indeed, unloaded, then it is harmless to the wrong hands.

I do realize not everyone lives in my neighborhood or walks in my shoes, so I guess if someones circumstances makes it necessary for them to keep a round chambered at all times, then who am I to say to the contrary, I just don't think it's safe practice.
                Last edited by Ralphie; 10-08-2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I always carry mine with a round in the chamber, whats the point of not? IF you always treat a gun like its loaded then its no problem and no one touches my guns without my supervision.

I like glocks because they always go bang, and no safeties. I also have a colt .45 3in for carry and a kahr pm9. I say pick whatever feels good in your hand but also remember that you might later on consider something compact to carry.
                  H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                    Anyone been on reddit? Let’s do this like ELI5 (Explain like I’m 5)

I’m now in a position where I can buy myself a pistol, and it’s time to do some research.
                    I’ll be at it all day, but I’d like to hear some opinions here too.
                    .45 vs 9mm, and why?
                    What do you prefer for makes? I’m gravitating towards XD or a Glock, but I’m up for suggestions.

If needed, please ELI5 your ammo explanations.

Edit: I have several long guns already, but no handguns.
                    I am familiar with all the aspects of long guns.
                    Hand guns are a lot more subjective IMO. The biggest thing is that you feel comfortable with it. Adjustable backstraps help, but are no guarantee.

I personally like the XD a lot. I also like the XDM, which would be worth the look since it has a higher grade barrel and some other meaningful changes.

In the end you just have to try them and see which suits you best. Try finding a range that has the ones you are interested in to rent and then put 2-3 mags through each. That should help you resolve which ones you like.
                    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
                      I always carry mine with a round in the chamber, whats the point of not? IF you always treat a gun like its loaded then its no problem and no one touches my guns without my supervision.

I like glocks because they always go bang, and no safeties. I also have a colt .45 3in for carry and a kahr pm9. I say pick whatever feels good in your hand but also remember that you might later on consider something compact to carry.
                      I also always carry with one in the chamber. In my .380 I have a 6 round flush mag, or a 7 round pinky extender, so at most I have the amount of rounds in one 9mm magazine on me spread out into two magazines.

Also, not starting a debate on this but theres been studies done that leaving a magazine loaded won't wear it out. Springs get worn out from "work" or compressing and compressing.

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
                        I also always carry with one in the chamber. In my .380 I have a 6 round flush mag, or a 7 round pinky extender, so at most I have the amount of rounds in one 9mm magazine on me spread out into two magazines.

Also, not starting a debate on this but theres been studies done that leaving a magazine loaded won't wear it out. Springs get worn out from "work" or compressing and compressing.
                        I took my CCP class by the top distance pistol shooter in Idaho and a very highly ranked course shooter and he always carries loaded and ready to fire. He said in a real situation where you are evaluating the 3 rules: Is the danger immanent? Is there risk of serious bodily injury? Is it my only option? you may not have time to load the gun, and the most likely issue is unless you are experience in that situation i.e. military or police, you are likely to fumble.

I also agree on the mag storage, sitting doesn't cause a well designed spring to wear it, it's only cycles. Not many spring nowadays are implemented into any kind of machinery where regular use will cause yielding, they only fail from cyclic fatigue.
                        '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

My bad I talked to him and he said the decocker failed not the safety. He was being careful as his entire family was opposite of the direction the barrel was pointing.

As a seasoned gun owner once told me, Murphy's Law loves guns.

Comment

Man you guys should really read more often lol.

I never said a weapon should NEVER be loaded.

If you are "actively" carrying it, whether for work or for CC purposes, then obv it should be loaded and a round chambered which is why we call it "duty carry".

If you are STORING the weapon, as his friend was, then it should be unloaded. Not many armories I know of store weapons loaded.

Doesn't mean you can't have a loaded mag on hand(and yes it doesn't really wear out the spring, but thats not a big deal anyway), im just saying storing a weapon in your house with a round chambered imo isn't the best practice.

Do what you will, but unless that weapon is attached to you at all times, day and night, every minute and sec of every day, then there is a time frame where it will be unsupervised and it only takes a minute to get a hold of it and have a misfire.

I will always advocate for safety, Im not saying anyone in here is wrong or trying to hang anyone out to dry, so don't take it personal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                              Man you guys should really read more often lol.
                              If you are "actively" carrying it, whether for work or for CC purposes, then obv it should be loaded and a round chambered which is why we call it "duty carry".

If you are STORING the weapon, as his friend was, then it should be unloaded. Not many armories I know of store weapons loaded.
                              I misread, my apologies. I am in complete control of my weapon with no one else having access (unless in a struggle situation) when I have it +1. If it is anywhere out in the open with myself or my wife being the only ones to get to it than it is unloaded with magazines in hidden locations.

FWIW I had an XD-40 which I absolutely loved. I also had a Beretta .45 but I perferred the XD (personally I feel caliber irrelevant) over my Beretta.

Comment

FYI, I don't STORE my guns loaded....my 10/22 is stored in its case unloaded (with 5rds in the Ruger 10rd magazine inserted into gun, so rack bolt and gtg!).

That's the only gun I store, the pistol, high-powered semi-auto rifle, and shotgun are all placed strategically and always loaded(chambered) UNLESS I have incompetent people over (ignorant adults or children, etc).
                                My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Working...
                                X