Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring is here! My back yard is a lake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring is here! My back yard is a lake...

My back yard floods every time it rains. A full third of the space is regularly covered in water, rendering it useless. I've ruled out the idea of building a garage back there. It's annoying!

So I'm finally trying to come up with a way to correct the issue.

My problems are:

1) the flooded area is in a low point, about 100 feet from the street at the front of my property. Draining to the street would require pumping the water uphill quite some distance.

2) Of the two neighbors behind me, I am only on speaking terms with one... and his driveway goes to the edge of his property line. I couldn't ask him to allow me to plumb a drain through his property if I wanted to, because I'd have to dig up his driveway to do it! The guy on the other side, I've never spoken to... and he doesn't seem to care about his property. I don't imagine he'd be very accommodating.

3) Simply adding fill dirt to the area would only displace the water, and would likely get me in trouble with the neighbors... so no go on that one.

My only thought right now is a French Drain setup, using a perforated pipe buried in a ditch, and covered with an attractive rock bed. It may work. It may not. It'll take in the water, but it won't be sending it anywhere. There's no way to drain it, so all I could hope it would do is help the water soak into the ground faster. It's entirely possible it won't do anything at all!

You guys occasionally surprise me with your knowledge of stuff like this, so I figure it's worth asking. Anybody have any ideas? Any experience with this sort of thing?

Here's a picture of the flooded area. (it's rather huge, so I only included it as a link.)
    https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...81376272_o.jpg

Dry Wells
    This is an ideal solution for a yard with major drainage issues. As the name suggests, it is a well which stores the excess water during times of flooding. Once the water collects in the well, it will be let out into the soil slowly over a period of many days, thus avoiding instantaneous flooding. Tubes and pipes may be affixed to the well to facilitate the flow of water into and out of the well. You can also divert the water to some spot outside your yard depending on local regulations. Dry wells must also be situated at a much lower level than the house itself
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

I'll look into that. Thanks! Seems to be a similar idea to what I had on mind with the French drain, but perhaps more effective...

Comment

Put the house up for sale, list as lake front property, add $100,000 more, then buy a house next to a real lake.
        Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Where do the gutters on your house drain to? Can you tie into whatever system that is?

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
            Put the house up for sale, list as lake front property, add $100,000 more, then buy a house next to a real lake.

Originally posted by Chrisisiced View Post
            Where do the gutters on your house drain to? Can you tie into whatever system that is?
            They drain into the yard. :-/ Actually, that's something else I need to address! Gutter drainage, and sump pump drainage.

Thanks to Lummie's suggestion, I'm researching NDS dry wells, as well as their "ez-drain" product (basically a french drain in a box.) Looks like it won't be terribly cheap, but it seems like I could do a good job of installing it all myself.

Comment

Could you send it to your front yard instead of the back?

Comment

Most of the gutter water does go to the front. It's not the main reason for the lake, though. The lake is about 75 feet away, so it's unlikely the gutter water is an issue at all, really.

I'll probably create drains at the downspouts at some point.

Doing a drain for my sump pump as well. (I say that as my pump turns on... stupid rain!)

Comment

I deal with alot of these issues at work, i would definitely look into a drywell. You will need a large amount of stone but it will be cheap and your best bet.

Comment

I had this issue in my front yard and it was mostly due to the steps not being angled away from house and gutters draining into the stairway area.

I had a company come out and replace the stairs and landing as it was ruined from years of snow and salt and in the process they buried one of the gutters under the stairs and it now drains out in the grass.

Im thinking I am going to bury the 2nd gutter as well.

Comment

Check out NDS's EZ-Drain. $50 for 10 feet.
                      dig down, bury the EZ-Drain pipe, and run your gutter down into it. It will drain the water into the subsoil, and keep your grass dry.

I'm planning on doing that with my sump pump.

Comment

Do you know if you have drain tile around the footing/foundation of your house and where it may exit your yard?

Ran into this very situation with a buddy of mine. The water would run down the hill from his neighbours into his front yard and pool there for days.

We put in a french drain sort of system in his front yard and tied it into the existing drain tile surrounding the footing/foundation of his house. His drain tile exited out the back of the house, through the back yard and into a stream. Now all the water drains into that and runs out with no problem. Even with a flash rain storm or heavy spring thaw he has yet to see any dramatic water level increase in his sump. His basement actually flooded the spring before we did the work. Hasn't since!
                        Last edited by GhostAccord; 04-24-2015, 10:26 AM.
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I'm not sure about my place. To my knowledge, there is no drain in place around the foundation.

Comment

you live in the hood. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175 View Post
                              you live in the hood. LOL
                              he lives in a blue collar neighborhood, i live in the HOOD.
                              CB7TUNER.com
                              Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X