Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

(URGENT) White smoke after hitting bottom of the car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(URGENT) White smoke after hitting bottom of the car

Alright, so first things first. I'm freaking out.

So this weekend (only once) and just in the past few hours, my CB7 being spewing out a ton of white smoke (I really mean a lot, I'm hoping I'm not getting poisoned or something). I immediately turned off the motor and began to have a panic attack. I opened the hood, looked under the car aaaaaannnnd nothing. So I did what any other stupid kid would do and start the engine again and drive around for a bit. That was really stupid of me, I'm sure the EPA is after me know because i spewed a whole bunch of white smoke everywhere. Now this happened after two things. First, my car is lowered (that's how I bought it, but thank goodness it's on adjustable coilovers) and I was coming into the parking garage my friend let me park in. Of course (being the part of LA I'm in) its after a steep driveway. So I try my best not to scrape but the car scrapes and I'm like whatever just park. That was last night. I go to move the car tonight and it took a little bit to start and that's been happening ever since I got the car but it starts. I let it warm up a little and I start to move it. As I move it, I hear a pop and I look in my back mirror and I see white smoke. In my head I'm just thinking NO NOT AGAIN. I think back to Saturday morning where I scraped a speed bump after dropping my brother off, then letting the car start and on the way home after getting off a light, white smoke shows up. After these both events, I let the car sit for ten minutes. SOME HOW THE CAR DECIDED NOT TO SMOKE WHITE AND RUN FINE.

After parking the car in a different garage (with no steep ass driveway), I let it run while parked and look around. Nothing. Running fine and just small amount of white-ish smoke which I think is condensation. I rush back to my room and look on the forums. Find some thread about a user who had somewhat the same problems as me. Read some more and I think it may be my valve seals. Then I look more into it and I remember how my car also stutters occasionally at a constant 25 mph and see that the problem could be ignition related.

As for the smoke. It smells like burnt cotton. Like for anyone who vapes, just imagine the smell of a dry hit. You hate it, I hate it. I put my hand against the exhaust and it didn't feel sticky so I guess it's not coolant. I check the temp gauge and it's not overheating at all.

This car took me 80 miles and back just this weekend without problems, but letting it sit is weird. Here are some pics of the smoke at idle and the last one is it after sitting for a bit.

P.S. Forgive me for the super long post. I wanted to be as detailed as possible. I really like this car, it's nostalgic for me and has a lot of parts I could never even afford. Thanks for anything

Thanks (again) for looking
    Last edited by blind_peach; 08-24-2017, 08:04 PM.

ok, first off, and I say this truly hoping to help, could you try to cut down on the extra stuff and just explain the issue/question? It's a pain to have to sift through the story to find the plot, if ya know what I mean.

So you did not notice this smoke until you scraped/hit something or did it happen out of the blue? I'm assuming you aren't throwing any CELs since you haven't mentioned them but if you have one, even if it's been on before this started, check the codes again. It looks like this is limited to your exhaust which kind of narrows things down.

Follow the path of induction from air filter to exhaust and think of all the areas where there is an interaction between fluids or where fluids could leak into the combustion process. Check all of your fluids and if you can do so avoid driving the car as much as possible.

Comment

Yeah, sorry about the long winded post. I'll make sure to get to the point. I don't have any check engine lights but I'll see if I can pull some codes (there's a chance the guy who had it before me did something, it is LA). I'll make sure to check the fluids tomorrow when I can.

Comment

Alright so I checked my fluids and it seems only my coolant is a little low and a little cloudy so I'll think about flushing the system soon. I had to drive somewhere but for some reason, the car didn't smoke at all. No overheating, nothing. I plan on going to a mechanic saturday

Comment

Originally posted by blind_peach View Post
          Alright so I checked my fluids and it seems only my coolant is a little low and a little cloudy so I'll think about flushing the system soon. I had to drive somewhere but for some reason, the car didn't smoke at all. No overheating, nothing. I plan on going to a mechanic saturday
          I wouldn't do anything to be honest. "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I also think the scraping has nothing to do with your smoking issue. I think maybe the car angle had something to do with it where coolant leaked by some seal somewhere and was introduced into the combustion chamber. Sounds like it semi-sealed itself back up and now you are good to go again.

A mechanic will suspect the head gasket and want to take the head off to replace it which will cost a lot of $. or they'll drain the coolant and oil to check for cross contamination. There's a kit you can buy to tell you if you have coolant in your oil (even if it is small amounts).

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            I wouldn't do anything to be honest. "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I also think the scraping has nothing to do with your smoking issue. I think maybe the car angle had something to do with it where coolant leaked by some seal somewhere and was introduced into the combustion chamber. Sounds like it semi-sealed itself back up and now you are good to go again.
            Hmm yeah that sounds really plausible. I guess it's best if I just raise the car a tad or just make sure I don't scrape when I go over bumps and stuff. But, do seals just happen to leak it the engine gets hit?

Comment

when i first got my car it had a coolant line going from the thermostat housing to intake that literally blew off, was shooting coolant everywhere and when it hit the block, header, downpipe etc it had white smoke (steam) going everywhere.... maybe you have a coolant leak leaking on something hot? thats why when you start your car cold it dosnt steam as much... also if your leaking coolant you can get air in your system and thats not fun. trust me.

Comment

It could b possible that I'm leaking coolant but I wasn't able to find any signs of it anywhere. What I did notice is that there's a rattling noise coming from somehwere around the exhaust. I remember the seller telling me about how some weld is bent or something connecting to the exhaust is loose but I can't remember

Comment

What did the smoke smell like?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    What did the smoke smell like?
                    "burnt cotton"

Comment

Just think of that really, like there's no other way I could describe it

Comment

maybe he ran over a bag of cotton balls, and it got stuck on the down pipe.

Comment

That would make much more sense then what I'm currently dealing with

Comment

lol...i think the general rule is..

blue smoke=burning oil
                            thick white smoke & burnt cotton candy smell=burning coolant

So most likely your head gasket is going soon Link

So keep an eye on your coolant level. If it's dropping you know where it's going to...

Comment

Got it. I'll try and flush the coolant system soon and replace it with new coolant. Here's hoping it's not leaking or something

Comment

Working...
                              X