Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Tranny. What parts and other things to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Tranny. What parts and other things to do?

I just ordered a synchrotech tranny. ON sale for 20 percent off for Halloween and free shipping. What other things should i do while changing tranny. Some things i already know. Like change rear seal, clutch and intermediate shaft seal. My flywheel is aftermarket and doesn't have the 15btdc markings on it. Which is annoying. Should i change this also. Anything else. I am attempting to do this myself. Any advice on that also?
    What is a good daily driver clutch kit. EXEDY 08805 Stage 1 Organic Clutch Kit or EXEDY 08014 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit or something else?
    Last edited by zedjr10; 11-01-2018, 12:16 AM.

For a daily I’d go with Excedy OE, LUK, or Sachs. New flywheel & pressure plate bolts. People will say you can re-use them, and many have with no issues, but they’re torque to yield bolts and they should be replaced. A lot of people also go with an OEM throw out bearing because they’re higher quality than most of the kit bearings. If it were my car, I’d also be replacing the master & slave.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
      For a daily I’d go with Excedy OE, LUK, or Sachs. New flywheel & pressure plate bolts. People will say you can re-use them, and many have with no issues, but they’re torque to yield bolts and they should be replaced. A lot of people also go with an OEM throw out bearing because they’re higher quality than most of the kit bearings. If it were my car, I’d also be replacing the master & slave.
      The slave i replaced a year ago.I think i'm going to go with the exedy 08014 clutch kit and EXEDY FWHDA01 flywheel. Am assuming it has the advanced timing marks on them unlike the one i have now. The LUK LFW118 flywheel only weighs 3 lbs and exedy wieghs 18lbs. What is up with that. I would prefer the exedy stage 1 clutch but need to cut down on some costs here.
      When people say rear main seal, are they referring to the axle seals? Am a little confused on this.

Comment

The rear main seal is the seal that goes to the rear end of the crankshaft, its a brown round seal right behind the flywheel. Keep oil from spilling out around the crankshaft
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
          The rear main seal is the seal that goes to the rear end of the crankshaft, its a brown round seal right behind the flywheel. Keep oil from spilling out around the crankshaft
          So it should really be called the crankshaft seal, right?

Comment

There are two crankshaft seals. Front and rear. Front is behind the crank pulley, rear is in front of the flywheel/flex plate.

Edit: there’s no way the LUK flywheel is 3lbs. That’s a misprint or a bit of wrong info by the seller. The heavier flywheels are better for daily driving, and there’s really no point in having a stage x clutch setup if you don’t have the power to necessitate the upgrade.
            Last edited by F22Chris; 11-01-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
              There are two crankshaft seals. Front and rear. Front is behind the crank pulley, rear is in front of the flywheel/flex plate.

Edit: there’s no way the LUK flywheel is 3lbs. That’s a misprint or a bit of wrong info by the seller. The heavier flywheels are better for daily driving, and there’s really no point in having a stage x clutch setup if you don’t have the power to necessitate the upgrade.
              I am even thinking about not replacing the clutch and flywheel as it works fine but the clutch is crappy quality. 100 dollar duralast one put in about 8k miles ago. I found the lbs on luk, it is 18 or so. Same as exedy's. LUK's is 37 dollars while exedy's is 67 dollars.

Comment

Has anyone used Duralast clutch from autozone? How long do they last? I have 8k miles on it about. I am thinking they last no more than 30k. Where exedy have read can last 100k miles. Is this true? As duralast is mostly crap on most things. It is a 35 dollar clutch sold for 100 dollars. I have a cheap flywheel also. Any thoughts?

Comment

I'd get an OEM flywheel resurfaced and run an OE Exedy kit and call it a day. No need to over think this if it's a daily.

How soon do you plan on being back in there?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
                    I am even thinking about not replacing the clutch and flywheel as it works fine but the clutch is crappy quality. 100 dollar duralast one put in about 8k miles ago. I found the lbs on luk, it is 18 or so. Same as exedy's. LUK's is 37 dollars while exedy's is 67 dollars.
                    If the clutch is crap, this is the time to replace it. I highly doubt Duralast makes it, though. They likely buy someone else's and repackage it. That's what Exedy does with the J-series Hondas. LuK makes all the OEM clutches, and others just buy from them and put it in their box. Go look at the product photos for an Exedy clutch for a 2003 Acura CL Type-S 6-speed on RockAuto.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                      I'd get an OEM flywheel resurfaced and run an OE Exedy kit and call it a day. No need to over think this if it's a daily.

How soon do you plan on being back in there?
                      I get my rebuilt tranny in 7 days. I might end up paying someone to do this job. My duralast clutch is doing fine. Just duralast ussually isn't a top quality product as far as longevity goes. Probably an a1cardone repackaged part. U know the rule, don't fix what ain't broken. I mean if those clutches are known to not last long at all then i'd definitely want to replace.

Comment

It is just too easy to do it while you have the chance, so why not?

You will have a new rebuilt trans, new clutch, flywheel.

I would get something better than a Duralast clutch..

You said it yourself that those clutches aren't that great..
                        Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                          It is just too easy to do it while you have the chance, so why not?

You will have a new rebuilt trans, new clutch, flywheel.

I would get something better than a Duralast clutch..

You said it yourself that those clutches aren't that great..
                          Am Definitely leaning that way as a exedy clutch set and LUK flywheel is 125 shipped. The math sais do it, unless i am doing it, haha. LUK clutchset is 12 dollars cheaper. I have read LUK is as good or better than EXEDY. True? This duralast set is only 8k miles but chatters during winter cause of warped flywheel or leaking seal.Which is annoying. I sort fo got to take off flywheel to get to seal and vice versa. I tell my wife i am keeping this car forever. So what ain't broke may break soon.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
                            Am Definitely leaning that way as a exedy clutch set and LUK flywheel is 125 shipped. The math sais do it, unless i am doing it, haha. LUK clutchset is 12 dollars cheaper. I have read LUK is as good or better than EXEDY. True? This duralast set is only 8k miles but chatters during winter cause of warped flywheel or leaking seal.Which is annoying. I sort fo got to take off flywheel to get to seal and vice versa. I tell my wife i am keeping this car forever. So what ain't broke may break soon.
                            $12 cheaper..... this isn't something you want to cheap out on. Same with the parts required here, ie: clutch release bearing should be OEM.

Unless you like things breaking early and doing the job twice.

Comment

Just got my new tranny today. Synchrotech rebuilt. 550 dollars and free shipping. What a deal i thought. Now i am starting to wonder more if this is something i want to do myself in a flat parking space. I do plan on pulling the old tranny open and seeing why i have no fifth. I bet it is the shift fork.

Comment

Working...
                              X