Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

92 accord paint price, lol wut.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 accord paint price, lol wut.

What is the average you would spend on paint?

I looked at my local body shoppe, and they want like $5,500* to do a complete paint job.

I want to have the car completely sanded down and painted matte white. The car is black, and it started out red.

I would just take apart the entire car, and bring the body/chassis to the paint shoppe, and have it painted. Would it be that easy?

I don't care to have the highest quality paint, because I am just going to be scratching the hell out of it, because I will be using it in AutoX.

* w/o repairs.
    Last edited by acidfocks; 01-31-2013, 01:01 AM.

If you prep it for paint yourself, it will cost a lot less. All you really need to do is scuff the paint well enough for primer to adhere.
    92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

I'm no paint expert but just doing minor touch ups on the body and getting a respray of the stock color was around 12-1300 for me, and that was at Maaco. Now if you're talking about getting the whole thing sprayed a new color even with the bare chassis I would think that alone would drive up the price a good amount. Then add in the matte paint which I'm sure is going to be more expensive and it'll probably come out to that I would think. If I remember correctly, reading some quotes on here people were saying between 4-5k. Don't quote me though.

If you're going to drop some money on some paint at least make it look decent though. Even if it's for autox, or else it'll just look like a doodoo primer car.

^That's an option too.

The Facebook group

Comment

A place that charges $5,500 for paint is a business that deals mainly with insurance companies where they can charge a premium and get away with it.
        1993 Accord LX Coupe 5spd

Comment

im looking at the local tech college they have an auto body course and they use the car as a learing tool nothing goe's out the door without the shop teachers approval. n i planned on attending for auto body next year. but dosent cost nearly as much because they are using the vheical as a learning tool so labor is generally very low cost

Comment

Originally posted by ninethreecoupe View Post

If you're going to drop some money on some paint at least make it look decent though. Even if it's for autox, or else it'll just look like a doodoo primer car.
            Well, the thing is I know that the car is going to get SOME damage. I don't want to waste 7k on a nice ass paint job that will only get ruined over time. Plus the track, if its fresh tar, then it will surly eff up the paint.

Comment

you get what you pay for when it comes to auto body. i learned that the hard way.
              COUPE K24

Comment

Go to macco if you don't care about the it that much get the cheap special and thing that will cost will be the bodywork
                MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
                1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Originally posted by ssondubs View Post
                  A place that charges $5,500 for paint is a business that deals mainly with insurance companies where they can charge a premium and get away with it.
                  I went to a place like this to get a quote for my RSX, it came with some pretty messed up paint. It's mainly the driver door and rear quarter, but there are tiny dings I also want fixed. They said they usually charge $600 per panel and wanted $4,000 for about 3/4 of the car. The print out they gave me included $400 to replace one of my headlights that has broken tabs (common with these cars). I can get a pair of Depos for $160.

On the other hand, I got my wing painted at Maaco. $150, and there are a handful of imperfections in the paint. While I was there I asked him about the rest of my car... "oh, I can do this whole side of the car for $600." Yeah, no. They're independantly operated, so each shop is going to show different quality, but in general they are known to be as cheap as their prices. I wanted to see my local shop's work for myself and it didn't pay off.

Insignificant side story: I went back to pick up the wing, but they were behind and it was still drying. He asked if I wanted to take it then, even though it was still a bit tacky. I told him no (yeesh) and I was leaving town for most of the day to help work on a friend's truck. I don't know if it was the note of being mechanically inclined or if he normally does this, but he took me back through their network of a shop to see the spoiler. Someone had actually brought a newer BMW to Maaco for a major rear-end re-spray. I cringed to myself seeing something like that there.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Maaco is not bad here but they preped and painted a friend of mine's EG for about a grand and it turned out great. I guess you get what you pay for but that's a lot OP.
                    10th Anniversary Accord.
                    05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

$5,500 is an absurdly high price. If you were building a serious show car, and getting some fancy paint... perhaps. But for a matte white paintjob, where you brought the stripped chassis to them? No.

I've had good results from Maaco, honestly. I keep my cars outside, since I don't have a garage. I drive them hard. Therefore, it's stupid for me to even consider a fancy paintjob! I've gotten my CB painted at Maaco twice (and only twice because the rust repair they did didn't take... and it's failing AGAIN the second time.) I got the $500 job at half price both times.
                      Keep in mind, all Maaco shops are independent franchises. Some are good, some suck. Mine is good (for paint.) I've seen bad ones. I've also seen bad $4000 paintjobs from "real" shops. Do your research on what shop you choose, and look at other cars that have similar work done.

If you're going to be towing the stripped shell to the shop, they really only have to spray it. Not even a whole lot of masking necessary. Prep work will add to the expense, so as said, anything you do yourself will make it cheaper.
                      I don't suggest stripping it down to bare metal, though. Only bad things happen to bare metal. You'll want to sand the old paint down, but not off. I'd ask whatever shop you go to what they would suggest you do. Their first response will likely be for you to leave that to the professionals, but if you're persistent they'll tell you.

If you're looking to build a race car, I'd suggest NOT getting a very good paintjob. It's very easy to destroy a car's paint on the track. Rubbing other racers, accidents, running off the road, getting hit by flying debris (dirt, car parts, etc...)

Comment

Originally posted by acidfocks View Post
                        What is the average you would spend on paint?

I looked at my local body shoppe, and they want like $5,500* to do a complete paint job.

I want to have the car completely sanded down and painted matte white. The car is black, and it started out red.

I would just take apart the entire car, and bring the body/chassis to the paint shoppe, and have it painted. Would it be that easy?

I don't care to have the highest quality paint, because I am just going to be scratching the hell out of it, because I will be using it in AutoX.

* w/o repairs.
                        5k is way over priced in my book, I personally have always painted my cars and its only cost me about $500 in materials ( paint, and clear coat ) but it also depends on the color of the paint too I know red is the most expensive color and I believe white and silver are the cheapest but im starting to get off topic. Since u said you dont really care for the paint quality there's 2 steps you can go, first sand it down yourself and have it prep for paint and the go spend like $100 at walmart and spray paint it, yea that's the ghetto way and Ive tried it and it was well ok...ish but what I recomend is to go out and rent a sprayer and if paint it your self with that its much cheaper and its a learning experience, but if you decide to do that, read up on how to spray it correctly so you dont have "holidays" or running paint.

Comment

this should work for what you are wanting: https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

5500 is about right, if you bring the complete car to them and they do all the work. Its alot of labor to disassemble the car, sand it down to metal and paint it.

If you disassemble and prep the car yourself, then bring it to them, 1K to 1500.

If you paint it yourself in your garage, maybe a couple hundred for materials. I've painted a couple of CB's in my garage using single stage paint, came out great and was inexpensive (200 - 300)
                            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Have you considered getting it vinyl wrapped?

Years ago I used to manage a auto body shop, I'd quote completes(no jams) about $3000. I wouldnt touch a car thats had so many color changes because new paint is only as good as whats under it and we provided lifetime warranty so I think that shop gave you the $5500 quote to get you to leave. All the labor and paint times are computer generated per part so its pretty straight forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X