No announcement yet.

cp[mike] : 1999 Honda CR-V EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My friend used to have a Focus, and it decided to snap a connecting rod at idle, waiting to enter a car wash. Cars, at least in my experience, do things just to spite mechanically-inclined owners.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
      sometimes i feel a little bit like maple
      Nah, Maple wouldn't just have it break. He'd be driving off-road and a stray turtle would kick up into the motor and then it would break. Then when he went to replace a part he'd pay $4,000 for it, then try to sell the old part as a brand new piece, then use the money to go out for the night, where he'd end up passed out somewhere with full photos of the night.

$250 is cheap money to replace everything that went wrong in there though, I must say.

Comment

^^^ LoL thats maple

and my guess is over tightened tensioner.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
          Nah, Maple wouldn't just have it break. He'd be driving off-road and a stray turtle would kick up into the motor and then it would break. Then when he went to replace a part he'd pay $4,000 for it, then try to sell the old part as a brand new piece, then use the money to go out for the night, where he'd end up passed out somewhere with full photos of the night.

$250 is cheap money to replace everything that went wrong in there though, I must say.
          Yeah, it ended up being cheap, and the whole time I was working on it, it FELT like an H22 (being a DOHC honda engine) but I kept really appreciating how much easier it is to work on! Its like the accord engine, but even simpler. No EGR, no IAB, no VTEC, no balance shafts. Most of my time was spent carefully grinding the valve seats, had I brought it to a machine shop for that, I could have had it done in a day / over the weekend, but I like to do things myself, especially if it saves money.

That's totally maple, though. I guess you're right, I think I'm safe lol

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
          ^^^ LoL thats maple

and my guess is over tightened tensioner.
          Besides a defective belt, that's pretty much the only other thing it could be, so you might be right. Though I was very careful with the tension - I've done at least a few dozen successful tbelt jobs over the years and never heard of something like this happening, but you never know. I guess the real reason doesn't actually matter at this point, but I would like to know the cause, if it were something I missed or did incorrectly, I would like to improve from it, but alas I will need to just chalk it up to the luck of the draw.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

drove from CO, to NY, and back to CO without any problems. was even loaded up with 200 lbs on the roof (recommended rack limit is 75 lbs) and the only effect was decreased mileage, assuming from wind resistance, but that could also be partially due to crappy gas.

anyway here's a shot from the trip while it was loaded up. It contained a bunch of personal belongings, plus an H22 longblock, 8 wheels, and 4 tires. solid!

Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-04-2016, 08:31 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

Do a little better on gas this time? What kind a mileage do you get in normal driving? My daughter is looking for something that she can put her 10 ft kayak on/in instead of my 93 LX wagon - just curious about the mileage of the CRV.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

btw, that hitch sticks out like a mofo

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                  Do a little better on gas this time? What kind a mileage do you get in normal driving? My daughter is looking for something that she can put her 10 ft kayak on/in instead of my 93 LX wagon - just curious about the mileage of the CRV.
                  I get low-to-mid 20's usually. Not even as good as accords can get. It's been pretty consistent across the various motors / rebuilds so I know it isn't going to be getting any higher. During this trip I was getting 17/18mpg. I dont drive it THAT much usually, so I don't need anything with super efficient mileage - the usefulness of the style of car is worth it over a normal accord or civic, or even a newer CRV. Just this morning I was pulling in to work and a coworker was admiring the car saying "wow CRVs really aren't the same car anymore, my wife's is a useless bubble"

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                  btw, that hitch sticks out like a mofo
                  yes it does, and its really annoying, and i stub my shins on it while im accessing the trunk. the hitch is seized into the receiver, and the lock pin is seized across them. I've been working at it with penetrant, sledgehammering, and occasional attempted twisting of the pin. I could always cut/drill out the pin, torch the receiver, and slide hammer (or chain to a tree) to get the ball out, but it's easier to just leave it hahaha. Maybe someday i'll bother.

Current cars:

Comment

Is that the curt roof basket? I plan on getting the same one for mine, but im trying to find a factory roof rack to bolt it on to lol.

And my hitch is the exact same way. Completely rusted together and it sticks out hellafar

Comment

Originally posted by Theos92VR4 View Post
                      Is that the curt roof basket? I plan on getting the same one for mine, but im trying to find a factory roof rack to bolt it on to lol.

And my hitch is the exact same way. Completely rusted together and it sticks out hellafar
                      Yeah its a CURT 18115, with the 18117 extension piece in the middle (so its the full length of the car). Nice unit for the price, and very useful.

I occasionally come across OEM roof racks in the junkyard, recently sold one on FB to the CRV group (they are cheap). If i come across a 1st gen rack, do you want me to get it for you?

Current cars:

Comment

Yeah its a CURT 18115, with the 18117 extension piece in the middle (so its the full length of the car). Nice unit for the price, and very useful.

I occasionally come across OEM roof racks in the junkyard, recently sold one on FB to the CRV group (they are cheap). If i come across a 1st gen rack, do you want me to get it for you?
                        YES PLEASE!!! I have been looking in the local yards around here and I have yet to find one.

Comment

Recently installed hood damper struts and replaced the original ones for the hatch. I updated the mods list. Here's some recent pics!

Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-17-2016, 01:00 AM.

Current cars:

Comment

Is that a World Sport exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                              Is that a World Sport exhaust?
                              it's actually a Yonaka. got it for $205 shipped, so it wasn't anything super fancy but it's a quality piece for the price. It's a little bit droney on the highway but overall its a pretty deep, smooth tone.

Current cars:

Comment

it's actually a Yonaka. got it for $205 shipped, so it wasn't anything super fancy but it's a quality piece for the price. It's a little bit droney on the highway but overall its a pretty deep, smooth tone.
                                That's a great deal! Beats the pea shooter, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X