INT: DIY carpet shampooing without a machine/vinyl cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: DIY carpet shampooing without a machine/vinyl cleaning

not much of a diy, but i made it to link people to due to the number of pm's i get asking me about carpet cleaning ect.

note: all supplies in these diy's where bought at kroger

materials for carpet
    liquid tide
    medium/stiff bristle brush and a slim stiff bristle brush
    terry towels
    empty spray bottle

first, take your tide and pour a small amount into your spray bottle. you don't need that much because the detergent is super concentrated. use your better judgment. then fill the rest with water and shake. here is a pic below of how much tide i use.

here is a before pic. it's not that dirty, but i just did some work on the inside that made some stains on the carpet.

step 1: vacuum carpet. spray entire carpet with tide water mix and spray directly on spots. take your scrub brush and scrub the area til it looks clean. it should look something like this after scrubbing.

step 2: use your terry towel to scrub further, wipe away dirt and stains, and to dry the carpet. rub hard and a lot like when you dry your hair after a shower.

step 3: revacuum carpet. when you scrub, it will loosen up a bunch of embeded dirt.

step 4: this is an important step. use your terry towel to ''comb'' the carpet all in one direction. play with a few directions to see which look you like. if you don't do this the carpet will dry funny. then let it dry.

recap

before

after

you can do this on the seats, rear speaker deck, cloth inserts on the door panels, trunk, ect. later.
    Last edited by TypeG; 06-02-2008, 11:14 PM.
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

part 2

materials
    simple green (you can dilute it)
    toothbrush
    soft bristle brush
    terry towel

step 1: spray the simple green onto the scrub brush. then scrub a section of the vinyl.

step 2: use the terry towel to wipe away the filth. use the tooth brush to get where the big brush can't.

recap

before

after i have a yellowish stain from some spilt cologne

have fun. later.
    Last edited by TypeG; 06-02-2008, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Cool. I have to ask a question though, have you heard of using 1 part woolite to 1 part water for the same type of auto detailing?
      Gary A.K.A. Carter
      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

i haven't heard of it, but i would think that it would work in the same way as long as it's a detergent. later.

Comment

Very good Diy I will be doing this today thanks

Comment

AHHHHHHH

I hate you TypeG! lol...Your car is amazingly clean bro. Its cleaner and cleaner every time I see it.

I wish I would have saw this thread 3 days ago. I just bought another car (an SC400 ) and the carpet was like black. It use to be tan...

So I bought this *** $5 can of Automotive carpet cleaner. It made my car smell for 2 days and that shit didnt even work. I def. have to try this out this weekend.

Thanks for another great cleaning DIY,
            -Lam

Comment

As always, stellar work.

Originally posted by TypeG
              ... i have a yellowish stain from some spilt cologne
              Hey --- you're supposed to spruce up before you leave the house; don't wait until you're in her driveway picking her up.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

yo type g i been using woolite oxydeep with similiar results..i cheated on the carpet and bought oem new carpet for 100 bucks//lol

regards x

Comment

I did this awhile back. It works wonders.

Reminds me, I need to go over them again.

:::Jeremy

[ My Car Domian ] - [ My Members Ride Thread ] - [ Facebook ]

My Top CB7Tuners :

TypeG
                  aww_shiet
                  91accordexr33

Comment

i need to vacuum my damn car.
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Good thread. Now what do you use to clean the seat belt straps?? Those are hard to clean, I've never had any success with it. Makes me want to go buy new seat belts.

My swap thread
                      Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92
                        Good thread. Now what do you use to clean the seat belt straps?? Those are hard to clean, I've never had any success with it. Makes me want to go buy new seat belts.
                        yeah, i know what you mean with those. i am going to try oxi-clean on those and see what happens. but i'll be sure to read the label as i don't want to use anything that will weaken the fabric. also, someone mentioned using wool-lite...that may work too. i have never really tried to clean mine, but i really need to. later.
                        Last edited by TypeG; 09-04-2006, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Bump for a great DIY. I need to do this. These lite colored interiors suck. They are like a dirt magnet. Leave it to TypeG to know how to clean everything. Did you find out anything about the seatbelts? Let me know mine are turning black. Later

Comment

Great idea for those who dont have a steam cleaner. Oh man, when i used my buddies steam cleaner on my 12 year old upholstry the stains coming out were so gross.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by MadSpleen85
                              Bump for a great DIY. I need to do this. These lite colored interiors suck. They are like a dirt magnet. Leave it to TypeG to know how to clean everything. Did you find out anything about the seatbelts? Let me know mine are turning black. Later
                              Mine are turning black too. Gotta try that Oxyclean shit this weekend.

My swap thread
                              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Working...
                              X