Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

RPM's drop low when coming to a stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM's drop low when coming to a stop

Hello members. Got an issue with the RPM's dropping down to the first line above 0 on the tach. I believe its 200 or so RPM

1991 Accord LX
    F22A1
    5 speed
    222K miles (daily driven)

It happens when I'm coming up to a stop or backing up to turn around. Have noticed it does it no matter if the engine is cold or warmed up. Coming up to a stop, down shift a gear or just coast with the clutch pushed in. Come to a stop and the RPM's drop to the last line on the tach. Stay there for a second or so then jump back up to 6-700 (average idle) while waiting to go again.

Today was the first time that when I backed up to park in my driveway, I stopped to go forward and my car died. Very first time it has done that. Usually just stays low in RPM's and then goes back up. But this time it dies/stalled. Started right back up again and idled fine.

What could be causing this? Throttle body need to be cleaned? Clogged fuel fuel filter? IAC or EGR need to be cleaned?
    Kyle C

2002 Accord Sedan EX - standard- daily status

1991 Accord Wagon LX - auto - 304K & slipping transmission

so what's the usual idle?
    maybe this will help--http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost.php?p=2262033&postcount=1

or try this first, then go from there.

edit: nevermind i seen the average idle.
    Last edited by STREET-SPEC; 05-06-2012, 09:37 PM.

Comment

iac v investigate

Comment

I'd start with your entire list there and check them all out. Any of those definitely contribute to idle issues on these cars, and a couple of them together could compound the issue. Also, plugs and wires and cap and rotor could be offering poor spark and contributing as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jst_4_kiks View Post
          What could be causing this? Throttle body need to be cleaned? Clogged fuel fuel filter? IAC or EGR need to be cleaned?
          Clean all of that. Properly set your base idle and ignition timing.
          Check for vacuum leaks, or better yet, just replace all your vacuum hoses.

Comment

Im also in this issue as well sorry for thread jacking mine dies on me when I take it out of gear while rolling or coming to a stop my idle seems fine at first but then get real low randomly. I cleaned the egr valve the throttle body,the iac ,changed fuel filter,spark plugs,wires ignition coil,rotor,cap and same problem I even read on one thread that the iginitor could be going out in some cases which I'm starting to think so but I've called to see if could get a hold of it but no one sells it by itself..and I am forced to buy the whole distributor :/
            WHEN LIFE PASSES YOU BY...DOWN SHIFT...

Comment

Originally posted by 10k View Post
              Im also in this issue as well sorry for thread jacking mine dies on me when I take it out of gear while rolling or coming to a stop my idle seems fine at first but then get real low randomly. I cleaned the egr valve the throttle body,the iac ,changed fuel filter,spark plugs,wires ignition coil,rotor,cap and same problem I even read on one thread that the iginitor could be going out in some cases which I'm starting to think so but I've called to see if could get a hold of it but no one sells it by itself..and I am forced to buy the whole distributor :/
              not sure how much you're willing to spend but Majestic has it for $84.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...1%29+%28TEC%29

i've never had to replace one before but i'm sure it's number 1 on that diagram.

Have you tried Rockauto.com? theirs ranges from between 42 and up to 110 dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by 10k View Post
                Who are you calling? EVERY auto parts store near me sells the igniter by itself, some with lifetime warranties.
                Originally posted by Mishakol129
                Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Sounds like you iacv acting up, if you unplug the iacv does the rpm drop or engine stall? If so re-adjust base idle, and verify ignition timing. If it does not stall verify wiring from iacv to ecu is not shorting out, if wiring checks out replace iacv. Your ignitor has nothing to do with what you stated. It either works or doesn't, since car runs then its working.

1993 CB6 Coupe Seattle Silver YR-94M

Originally posted by Acclude
                  4gens are win. It's in the bible somewhere.
                  yeah its verse 10.6:1

Members Ride Thread
                  1993 Accord Coupe- Summer ride
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=130064
                  1995 Civic Coupe - Winter/DD
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...53#post2744953

Comment

Originally posted by 90blackcoupe View Post
                    Sounds like you iacv acting up, if you unplug the iacv does the rpm drop or engine stall? If so re-adjust base idle, and verify ignition timing. If it does not stall verify wiring from iacv to ecu is not shorting out, if wiring checks out replace iacv. Your ignitor has nothing to do with what you stated. It either works or doesn't, since car runs then its working.
                    When I unplug it,it just starts surge idling and that's about it I already set my timing to Tdc and my idle while engine is running and unplugged iac to adjust it then plugged it back in take the fuse out to restart the ecu.the wierd thing is that I don't have no cel at all..my bulb is good cause I can see it turn on when Im about to start the car up. Oh btw my engine is a h22a4

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                      Who are you calling? EVERY auto parts store near me sells the igniter by itself, some with lifetime warranties.
                      I've called advance auto,o'reilly,autozobe and carquest And no one..

Comment

I've encountered this before on many 90-93 Accords. These cars over time have had too many uninformed people meddle with idle and ignition timing.

Go to DIY section and perform the "base idle" and "base ignition" timing procedures. Do base idle first, then ignition timing. These will help tremendously, if not resolve your entire issue. If you still have some driveability issues thereafter, then it is a great start to diagnose them. At that point you can look for vacuum leaks, malfunctioning components, etc. Actually performing base idle and ignition timing can give you direction on diagnosis, depending on your results.
                        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
                        X