CB7 Buyers Guide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB7 Buyers Guide.

This is something that we've talked about occasionally over the years... but I think it might be time to finally sit down and write one!

Lately, as many of you know, I've been looking into buying a different car. At the moment, the focus has been the 1st generation Miata. There is a TON of information on this car. Miata.net has anything you could ever ask for, from what I can tell. Articles listing every model, every subtle difference. The information is well-organized, though some digging is necessary. Still, it's a great resource.

This is something that we don't have. Not in an organized form, anyway. The information is here. Those of us that have been around a long time know a LOT of information.

I'm thinking it may be time to compile that information. Turn it into an easy to read starter guide for anyone interested in buying a CB7, or anyone looking to understand each and every model (North American, at least...)

I'd definitely need help organizing, writing, and fact checking. I want it to be as comprehensive as possible. Every model, every trim level, every color, every option, every change (no matter how small) from one year to the next. We could include a section on models found in other areas of the world as well. Perhaps even a brief introduction to modifying the CB.

My thought is to arrange it like a book. Publish it as a web page with links, but I'd like the option to make it a PDF/e-book. Perhaps even a physical print version of it would be possible if it ends up being worthy of such a thing.

Just an idea... but something worth playing with.

i think this is a great idea, which i think was the basis of eric's Wiki efforts in the past. regardless of the form, I think it STARTS with better organization here on the site. Requires a lot of support and submissions from the users, but we already have a lot of that already - just need to find and organize it better.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Exactly.
      Organizing is the first step. Then it's just a matter of filling in the blanks and formatting.

Comment

Check out cars101.com which has information for Subaru models. It is an unbelievable resource that details every single option and specification for every model and trim level for each year. It presents the information in a method similar to comparing new cars and also has a few written paragraphs detailing why changes were made.

Either way, I'd be more than willing to help write an compile all of the necessary data for a page like this. Just give me a structured format and I'll start regurgitating it for you. I'm a bit rough on paint, though. I know the year model availability and trim level restrictions of some of the more unique paints like opal green metallic, cappuccino brown, Phoenix red and Laurel blue, but not the extensive knowledge that others had in the past about the paint codes themselves.
        Last edited by Jarrett; 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

That's exactly the sort of thing I'm hoping to accomplish!

Ideally, I'd like a narrative in addition to simply bulleted lists of equipment, changes, etc... Something that's engaging, and gets the prospective CB7 owner (or new CB7 owner) excited about the car. As I dig deeper into the Miata stuff, I'm finding more and more about each model offered. It's fun!

Something like this would be cool to create as well:
          http://www.miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf

Comment

I think a section to common junkyard part swapsretrofits would be cool. Here is what I have bee using to compile a grocery list of sort for my current project when I go to junkyards.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/80785425/B...t-Guide#scribd

There are a lot of cool retrofits from other nicer cars that can be used for the CB so that can take up a bit of space.
            Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I'd leave that as part of the modification section, if it happens. I don't want to get into mods too deeply, as there's just far too much to cover! I figure we can stick to the basics, if anything.

Comment

Sounds great. I would love to read it.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

perhapes also include common problems to look for when inspecting a CB to buy/ new CB owner/ inexperienced owner. (that would be extremely helpful i believe)

( even little things like dashboard little clock door missing) or is what I'm saying is too much?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Exactly.
                    Organizing is the first step. Then it's just a matter of filling in the blanks and formatting.
                    You could make a template of the certain characteristics (e.g., ECU, engine, exhaust manifold, etc..) and let the members fill it out and check each other.
                    Shift_BOOST

BOOM!

Comment

I think it should just be CB chassis specific. If it gets into modifications, it won't be a buyers guide anymore. It will be another interchangeable/+30HP $500 thread we don't necessarily need. Either way it should be a good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo617 View Post
                        perhapes also include common problems to look for when inspecting a CB to buy/ new CB owner/ inexperienced owner. (that would be extremely helpful i believe)

( even little things like dashboard little clock door missing) or is what I'm saying is too much?
                        That's what I was initially thinking. In my Miata search, I've been trying to find things that commonly go wrong. I've also been looking for telltale signs of emerging issues, as well as what things should be addressed as part of proper restoration/maintenance.

Originally posted by 92ex View Post
                        You could make a template of the certain characteristics (e.g., ECU, engine, exhaust manifold, etc..) and let the members fill it out and check each other.
                        Great idea. Rather than compiling everything, just say "I need this", and people can all chip in here and there to complete it.

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                        I think it should just be CB chassis specific. If it gets into modifications, it won't be a buyers guide anymore. It will be another interchangeable/+30HP $500 thread we don't necessarily need. Either way it should be a good read.
                        Yeah, that was my main reservation. I think a brief teaser as to what can be done (such as a quick glimpse at the H22A swap, or a nudge toward a quality suspension setup...) could be beneficial. Just a quick chapter at the end, giving the reader a taste of what they can do with some of the more common and noteworthy modifications. Not so much a detailed how-to, but more of a "check this cool stuff out!" bit. We could feature some of our members that are quality examples of such modifications as well!
                        That would be the least important part, though. Like a little bonus scene after the credits of a movie.

Comment

Working...
                        X