No announcement yet.

af_1132 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, San Antonio was really hot for July and August, but now things are reasonable. I just started racing with San Antonio Sports Car Association. This is a pretty big association, with about 100 serious drivers showing up for every event. I haven't had a chance to drag at SA Raceway, but I did race the car at the SASCA Auto X event. Hopefully, this video gives you a chance to see that I painted the door trim pieces white, and you get to hear how obnoxious the car is with 2.25" exhaust to the back with one 18" resonator.

I DNF'd the first three runs, the track was so confusing. Too many slaloms in my opinion. Here is the third run:

Here is the last run. I placed 5th in the Novice class, so now I have a goal for next time: first in the novice class.

Sorry my camera guy did not zoom in.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I moved back to Santa Cruz in November, wow. Texas no longer worked when my wife let us know she was expecting. Texas has great people, great food, and great churches, but we do not want to be states away from our entire family and then try to start our own. I also realized that I had to move all the way to Texas to figure out that I do not enjoy teaching and need to pursue my passion to freelance tutor, which I am now doing.

I am still trying to figure out the best free image hosting solution as I slowly migrate all of my photobucket offline. It is painful. I am also trying out the YouTube monotization with a few different channels (af_1132racing for the car people). You really have to create content that people can either relate to on a personal level or consistently use to better their lives in order to achieve the views required to make money.

I've got some winter projects going for the CB7, including an all billet aluminum catch can kit, black box delete, a custom cold air chamber with exterior air entry, and some comfort equipment for my passenger (a visor and something to hold on to).

MRT
      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Wow, 6 months since a post!

Well, as those of you who follow my Youtube channel (af_1132racing) know, I destroyed some vital block internals in the motor at the last Laguna Seca track day event. It probably started as a spun bearing that I ignored, and then became a slapping rod, or it could be a rocker that broke. We will find out when I pull the motor and do a full teardown.

The plan is to build a proper, high compression, SOHC NA motor that is able to handle upwards of 7k rpm for the purpose of circuit track use. I have three total goals for producing significantly more power:

Goal #1: increase airflow in and out of the motor.
        Goal #2: increase compression from 8.8:1 to well over 10:1.
        Goal #3: square up the motor by increasing bore.

To accomplish goal #1, I will first contact djcaz_aom to secure his signature dual TB IM setup, and cut the hood to take in air directly from outside. I will also contact Wes (wed3k) to secure a set of oversized valves and bronze valve guides, getting a proper seat made, of course. I will also port and polish the exhaust ports. Finally, I will hopefully be able to work with HCar George in San Antonio to design a nice 4-1 2-part header with 3" collector for the F22 head that creates more top end power at the expense of some mid-range power. This will be mated to full 3" exhaust with Vibrant quieting components.

To accomplish goal #2, I will be going with a combination of head milling and different pistons to increase the compression ratio to over 10:1. One option for pistons are the Arias NA variants, the same that djcaz_aom is using in his big build. I will mate these pistons with the proper rods and crank to lend the ratio I'm looking for. I have heard of ratios around 13:1 using these pistons, but I don't want end up in a situation where I must run 100 octane at $10/gal just to start it!

To accomplish goal #3, I will, by necessity, bore out the cylinder walls to 86mm in order to accommodate the pistons. I will also avoid rod/crank setups that increase stroke. This is not a "street car bro", so a stroker motor is not the goal here.

There are lots of supporting mods that will aid me in my track car monster endeavors, such as a manual rack conversion (the Rilas anti-play method), ATI super damper, rear disk conversion, and more. The biggest support will come from all of you, as your guidance and help is welcome and needed.

I'll be pulling the motor tomorrow with a friend. I'm scared to look inside, but it must be done. Here we go!
        Last edited by af_1132; 08-12-2018, 09:38 PM.

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Sorry to hear that Texas didn't work out for you. I meant to watch some of your YouTube videos when you posted your last autocross sessions in here, but just forgot. I'll definitely check them out tonight, though!

I've thought about your car quite a bit lately. I've been watching some of the GridLife and Speed Academy videos lately and Fortune Auto has definitely developed a VERY decent foothold within the track day and purpose-built track car community. Back when you initially purchased yours, they were kind of an unknown commodity. It seems the investment paid off, though, as the company has seemed to do nothing but develop and innovate. As an owner of their products, what's your August 2018 view of them?

Good to see you around here again!
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks for stopping in, Jarrett!

4+ years after installing the Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers, I must say that they are still second to none when it comes to the CB7 chassis. The Swift Springs upgrade (8k front and 12k rear) was certainly worthwhile, but I do not have the 500 series springs to compare them to. I have not had issues with them this whole time, except for a single coilover in the rear not consistently registering clicks when I adjust the damping, but that was a thing right after installation that I still do not see as a major issue.

I still have yet to adjust preload after the initial installation settings, not because I don't know how, but because I have not seen the need to do so! These things do what I need them to do when I am on the autocross circuit or the track, and are nowhere near my limiting factors (brakes/HP). This company is true to their hand-built name, as they made these for me by hand in bespoke fashion. They also do a complete overhaul service for your set at recommended intervals, and will even re-valve if you want to change spring rates. I cannot recommend their 500 series coilovers more highly to our community. I paid $1500, and it now looks like they're going for $1324.

Oh, and Jarrett, go to my channel directly on Youtube. You will like my most recent videos better than the autox ones you mentioned.
            Last edited by af_1132; 08-11-2018, 11:09 PM.

MRT
            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Motor is pulled and on a good stand. I never thought I would see the day come when I take the motor out of a car, but times have changed. I owe it to you all for giving me the confidence to pull something like this off.

Next, it's time to uncover what happened to the internals as I take everything apart.

MRT
              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Cool, somehow I didn't know you had a channel. Sub'd!
                Last edited by CyborgGT; 09-26-2018, 10:07 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Looks good I’ll be watching your vlogs as well. You probably could have saved some time by leaving the intake manifold on when you were pulling the motor out.
                  ~Nick~
                  FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                  MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Thanks for stopping by and the support guys,

I took all the exhaust and intake completely out because I was giving that to the friend who was helping me prepare for the pull. He couldn't stay 'till the end, so I wanted him to have them before he left for the evening.

MRT
                    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Subbed. Looking forward to watching your channel grow!

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Much love my man, every bit of support helps, especially since the fam discussed that the money for the build will be coming from Youtube monetization revenue.

The current total views are 4600, so I have some work to do!

MRT
                        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

I just finished tearing the motor completely down, and I could not believe what I found in cylinder #2: no rod bearings. Both were gone! I guess they were spun out and completely destroyed by the crank and such, 'cause there was a ton of shavings in the pan. The valve train was fine, so I am guessing that oil starvation in the tight turns caused this to happen to the #2 rod bearings. Wow…

Oil starvation prevention is now at the top of the list in the rebuild plans!

MRT
                          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Speaking of oiling:
                            http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...n-cranks.4419/

That might be some good reading.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I just finished reading through most of that article. It makes me want to go under the house and really study the crank.

MRT
                              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Yaa.. I mean I dip in here every now & then, but never knew you had a chan. You speak the truth, which i like. Sub'd to help ya out.

This is a lot of work. What are the HP goals for this free breathing NA engine?
                                And what's the trans setup?

Comment

Working...
                                X