CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #41
zedjr10
Gold Member

zedjr10 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Absolutely not. They are another low-quality knockoff company. Do not trust your life to anything of questionable origin. Stick to components made by companies that specialize in the design and manufacturing of suspension components. Your life rides on your suspension.
I agree. Now it is time for me to do the rear ones. KYB strut-plus is what i will be using again. i have read some people have just had problems with getting wrong sides but overall reviews for kyb strut-plus seems strong. All other companies seem to suck at making a quick strut(gabriel,monroe,etc).
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #42
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
As long as your car is in good shape, you should find that the rears are easier to do than the front. You got the worst out of the way already!

AEM TruTime cam gears (H22A), DSM 450cc injectors, Eaton M45 superchrager

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #43
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
The biggest problem with the rear is that the bolt at the bottom many times is rusted into the sleeve in the bushing in the knuckle. The last two sets of rear shocks I've done have required replacement of those bushings and they are a pain in the neck to replace; I may have had to cut the bolt/bushing sleeve to get them apart. Start a couple days ahead of time spraying this with some kind of penetrating lubricant; then check to see if the bolt will even rotate. If not, find a set of bushings and new bolts before tearing into it.

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #44
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
The biggest problem with the rear is that the bolt at the bottom many times is rusted into the sleeve in the bushing in the knuckle. The last two sets of rear shocks I've done have required replacement of those bushings and they are a pain in the neck to replace; I may have had to cut the bolt/bushing sleeve to get them apart. Start a couple days ahead of time spraying this with some kind of penetrating lubricant; then check to see if the bolt will even rotate. If not, find a set of bushings and new bolts before tearing into it.
I am glad u said something as i was just prepared to rip it apart and start putting in the new struts. I am willing to bet they need to be replaced as previous owner never did anything and he had the car a long time. The front struts looked like factory installed. I haven't looked at the rears in detail yet as it is raining here but the coils have seemed to collapsed partly. Would the knuckle bushing be considered the rear lower inner? Do u know the technical name of the bolt?
Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #45
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Just because it irks me: CB7s have shocks, not struts.
If fleetw00d doesn't get back with the proper part before I get back to my computer, I'll be able to find it for you.

Hondaautomotiveparts.com is a good place to look up parts (and often a good place to buy.) diagrams, part names, factory part numbers, and info on whether or not the part is discontinued.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #46
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
These are the Honda parts; you can get aftermarket bushings.

Part number, item in diagram, qty, name:
90021-SM4-003 015 002 BOLT, SHOCK ABSORBER (10X68)

Rear lower shock bushing:
52622-SM4-003 036 002 BUSH, RR. SHOCK ABSORBER (LOWER) (HOKUSHIN)

Thread on replacing the rear lower shock bushing: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8980

Last edited by fleetw00d; 03-24-2017 at 09:39 PM.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #47
zedjr10
Gold Member

If it is siezed i think this job i will pay my honda mechanic to do. He will probably do both sides for 75 dollars.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #48
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I did one side myself. Used my friend's vise, a heavy hammer, a few drill bits and punches (broke two of his punches...), and a hacksaw blade. Took us about 2 hours to swap out one bushing. Never bothered doing the other side. It's a MAJOR pain.

My advice would be to pull the knuckles and take them to a shop that has a hydraulic press. They'll be able to do it in no time. Don't pay a pro to take the parts off your car, as that would be a major waste of money. Removing the parts isn't difficult at all.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #49
zedjr10
Gold Member

i sort of can't take them off then take to mechanic as i can only work on my car on weekends and he isn't in his shop on saturdays. I also have to drive my car to abandoned lot to work on it. I am going to look at it today and see if i need to redo that bushing. But in all likelihood i will have to take it to mechanic cause previous owners never did any maintenance to car except change oil. The shocks are still the originals i believe.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #50
Rilas
CB7tuner Member

Rilas is cool... so far.
You might get lucky. Both of my last '93's the bolts actually broke loose and I was able to remove the shocks. I went into both of them thinking I was cutting the bolts out with a hacksaw. To prevent this in the future, I grease the shaft of the bolt so hopefully water stays out and it won't rust into the bushing. I haven't had an issue with any since.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #51
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I removed my shocks all around numerous times, with the bolt only sticking after the 4th or 5th time. I've also worked on friends' cars plenty of times where the bolt never got stuck. It's probably more likely now that these cars are getting older, but there's still a good chance the bolts will come right out.

Try it. If it sticks, put everything back together and wait until you can get it to a shop. If the bolt is stuck, it's not going anywhere, so you can't hurt anything by trying!
Sucks that you don't have a place to take the car apart and leave it. I've always had my driveway, as well as the street in front of my house to work with (I've left the car on stands in the street for a few days without incident.) I tend not to engage in multi-day projects that will leave my car in pieces due to the lack of a garage, but I at least have the luxury of leaving my car secure in an un-moving state for a while (7 years at one point... )

Old 03-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #52
zedjr10
Gold Member

yeah it sucks not at least having a place where i can leave it overnight not being able to run but it is what it is. I didn't even look at it today. Hopefully it don't rain much tomorrow and i can get to it. My car has no rust on the body and it is the original paint so maybe the rest of the car followed suit.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #53
h22sparkle
CB7tuner Member

h22sparkle may have said something they shouldn't have...
Hey honestly neuspeed sport springs and koni yellow adjustables provides a decent drop without a crazy lowered position without sacrificing ride quality.
h22sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #54
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Neuspeed or H&R Sport springs with Koni Yellows are definitely my preference (the springs have the same specs... H&R used to make Neuspeed's springs, though someone else makes them now.) Improves handling significantly without making the car ride like a go kart. It also makes the car look sportier, without making you look like a highschool kid that just discovered Initial D.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #55
zedjr10
Gold Member

Here is my offical review of the kyb strut-plus. Front ones are great and went in very easy and ride great. Overall ride with rear ones rides even better but the rear struts mounting holes are misaligned and you will have to drill holes or compress coil and adjust bracket. Which was more trouble i think than just getting coil and shocks separate to be installed which i ended paying a mechanic to do. This seems a very common problem for rear strut-plus. They ship from Indiana so it is a little hard to believe they fk this up so much. Makes me think it is assembled in mexico and then shipped to indiana. IDK but it ended up costing me alot more to install(160 bucks to mechanic).
Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #56
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I've had some issues properly aligning lowering springs, but stock replacement stuff should have just bolted right in. I'm surprised to hear that about KYB!

Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #57
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
I've had some issues properly aligning lowering springs, but stock replacement stuff should have just bolted right in. I'm surprised to hear that about KYB!
Yeah something going on with some of their strut-plus line but overall i am still happy as i got great long lasting struts and a great ride now. I fly over speed bumps and other stuff now. With new steering rack and outer tie rods with uca's on both sides installed it rides like new almost. Steering wheel is more responsive turning left than right. I wonder why. I might of not torqued something correctly. Which control arm would have that effect? I am going to make a separate post for that issue. Including the extra cost and trouble i would still buy kyb's but for the rears though i would get the coils and shocks separate and pay a mechanic to assemble coils then install the struts myself.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #58
ukemike
CB7tuner Member

ukemike is cool... so far.
Incorrect torquing would not cause the steering to be off. Under torquing might lead to a nut falling off or over torquing might strip or break a bolt.

When you have your suspension apart it is a good idea to align it afterwards. It sounds like you might be out of alignment. Without aftermarket parts the only things that are adjustable on our alignments are toe, caster (just a little) and rear camber (just a little). Your's sounds like it could be toe out or in. It's worth getting checked because toe in or toe out will chew up your front tires quickly and cause twitchy handling.
Adjustable Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
M2A4 Transmission, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel.
A4 Header and Downpipe, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, glasspack muffler, PT12 ECU.
Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Last edited by ukemike; 04-22-2017 at 07:42 PM.
ukemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #59
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

^that.
ALWAYS get an alignment after doing suspension work. Be sure to go to a quality shop, too. Many of the budget tire shops that do alignments have poorly maintained machines and poorly trained employees. Pay a little extra for a good alignment tech. You'll make up the cost in tire life!

And, I'll say it again just because it makes me itch... shocks, not struts. Our cars do not have struts. They are simply shock absorbers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: