Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.68 average. Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 10:07 PM   #2061
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
Well. I was told it was hard to swap synchros on the MS/CS. Umm... this was easy. Only need to "persuade" one of the gears off.

Old vs. new. (although these aren't the syncros in the car now, these came with the transmission)

Ta-Da!

Next....MS...

I have to double check this step. I think I may have messed this up. This is to say "which way is the shift fork collar allowed to slide off the syncroniz
er and which way does the assembly go on.

Anywyas, all done. Going to tripple check things, order a bearing kit and get this thing installed.
This scares me haha.

^100 years old^
(but she runs a 100 meter dash, not a marathon! 26.2 miles would most likely kill her. -deev)

(I stand corrected )

GTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #2062
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRON View Post
This scares me haha.
lol.

So... i also started this again. Try # ..3 . ? lol
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:48 PM   #2063
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
lol.

So... i also started this again. Try # ..3 . ? lol
Do you have a "Longboard" sander thing?

^100 years old^
(but she runs a 100 meter dash, not a marathon! 26.2 miles would most likely kill her. -deev)

(I stand corrected )

Old 03-27-2017, 02:07 PM   #2064
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Do you have a "Longboard" sander thing?
Ya, that's my problem. When I tried this the first time I thought "I'll just add filler and use a flat item to smooth it out using the edges of the spoiler as a guide." Nope, as the edges are a "wave" too. So I watched some videos and learned to hand feel out the low and high spots, fill in accordingly.

Now time to mess it up by sanding :P
Old 04-01-2017, 06:58 PM   #2065
Raf99
Gold Member

Old 04-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #2066
Raf99
Gold Member

I like learning. Think i got this one. Learned from tv shows and youtube that you simply have to do a combination of sanding (hand/block/etc.) for this material. The layer of filler should be air free and smooth for less sanding and less fill later on. I hand felt the high spots, circled and penciled in the low spots. Sand, fill again... repeat until perfect.

But even dimples like these you can see when done. So i will have to fill again and sand again.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #2067
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
I like learning. Think i got this one. Learned from tv shows and youtube that you simply have to do a combination of sanding (hand/block/etc.) for this material. The layer of filler should be air free and smooth for less sanding and less fill later on. I hand felt the high spots, circled and penciled in the low spots. Sand, fill again... repeat until perfect.

But even dimples like these you can see when done. So i will have to fill again and sand again.

Are you using a "Guidecoat"? I heard that was useful for finding high and low spots.
Then use filler putty to fill in small pinholes and stuff

Looking good!

^100 years old^

(I stand corrected )

Old 04-07-2017, 05:16 AM   #2068
Raf99
Gold Member

Thanks, now i know there is a term for what i was doing. Guidecoating.
I watched some videos and I was doing it right. Amazing how much sanding it takes to remove the guidecoat or pencil marks. Goes to show how much work is required by hand and why people use power sanders. I get the 3M thing but i just used spray paint or a pencil.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #2069
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Thanks, now i know there is a term for what i was doing. Guidecoating.
I watched some videos and I was doing it right. Amazing how much sanding it takes to remove the guidecoat or pencil marks. Goes to show how much work is required by hand and why people use power sanders. I get the 3M thing but i just used spray paint or a pencil.
Are you doing 80 grit?

^100 years old^

(I stand corrected )

Old 04-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #2070
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Are you doing 80 grit?
Started with 100 grit. Tried priming it today outside but it was too cold outside.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #2071
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Started with 100 grit. Tried priming it today outside but it was too cold outside.
Be careful with humidity as well... I had primer peeling off because it didn't dry completely in the humid weather we had last week.

^100 years old^

(I stand corrected )

Old 04-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #2072
Raf99
Gold Member

Ya, i will.

So today I replaced the O2, looked around underneath, put the mud flaps back on and will take her off the jack stands tomorrow I think. Have to finish the spoiler but that will be easier with the warmer weather coming. Kind of nervous to get her back on the road. And hopefully get order the transmission bearings soon. But the tranny won't go in until I buy a new clutch. So I'll just have to drive carefull, I'm pretty sure I have a bent shift fork...
Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #2073
Raf99
Gold Member

Really is hard to get a fiberglass piece perfect. Your filler really has to be perfect, no air bubbles, flat. If not you'll be filling and sanding forever. I could keep going at this one but I think I'll stop here....
Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #2074
Raf99
Gold Member

Yep, fack Amazon. I usually have no issues with them, but this alternator i ordered....

- Ordered Alt
- 1 week later still said "item not yet shipped", so I wrote them and they advise it will arrive on-time
- 2nd week, still says "item not yet shipped"
- 3rd week, still says "item not yet shipped". I write them and they advise it will arrive and time and give me some $5 coupon for some crap
- 4th week.... "" "" "", i write them and say why wait until the last moment to tell me it's not in stock!! Just tell me so I can order it from somewhere else! They guarentee me it will arrive by April 20th!
- April 18th, I write them and ask if they still think it will arrive and they say yes. They change the shipping to priority shipping, telling me it will arrive the next day!
- Next day comes, no alternator arrived. I write them, no reply. 2 hours later I get an email telling me the item is delayed and changes the arrival date to May 15th!!!

- I write them a nastygram and cancel the order.

FU Amazon.

Edit: This was the part which anyone can still order (and not get).
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Raf99; 04-20-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #2075
blk91coupe
CB7tuner Member

blk91coupe is cool... so far.
Yeah, some of the amazon sellers are pretty crappy. My wife and I have had issues multiple times. Was it amazon.com or another seller through amazon?

Nvm, I looked again. I've never had trouble with amazon themselves.

Last edited by blk91coupe; 04-28-2017 at 06:27 PM.
blk91coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #2076
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk91coupe View Post
Yeah, some of the amazon sellers are pretty crappy. My wife and I have had issues multiple times. Was it amazon.com or another seller through amazon?

Nvm, I looked again. I've never had trouble with amazon themselves.
Ya. i hear ya. I never had any issues with them either. Anywho.... ordered a new alt. Dare say it's time to replace mine.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #2077
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:

Really is hard to get a fiberglass piece perfect. Your filler really has to be perfect, no air bubbles, flat. If not you'll be filling and sanding forever. I could keep going at this one but I think I'll stop here....
Did you put filler putty on it? That stuff is for filling in small imperfections like you have pictured.
It's fun stuff, I know

^100 years old^

(I stand corrected )

Old 05-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #2078
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Did you put filler putty on it? That stuff is for filling in small imperfections like you have pictured.
It's fun stuff, I know
Of course not. I'm a noob :P

Eventually I said screw it and painted it. Put it on the car. Still have to shine it up and i wish i had a high speed buffer for that. I can never seem to get things to shine properly.

Sally got a new battery and alternator. And I took her to get gas the other day. It definitely turns heads still. Still have followers, one guy pulled up and commented on it, and he knew the year of it too.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #2079
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Looks cool anyways, you could always take it off and work on it more later.

^100 years old^

(I stand corrected )

Old 05-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #2080
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Looks cool anyways, you could always take it off and work on it more later.
Ya. It still has waves in it too. Very hard to make level, almost like you needed a "jig" to allow a level filler ....

Anywho. Worked on Sally more tonight. Big thanks goes out to fleetw00d for hooking me up with a rear door rubber weatherstrip!

Went on with no problems at all!

So GTRON, how do you get this thing to "shine!!" ? I have an electric buffer and maguires polish, tried that for 30min , then electric buff. This is how it is now. I'm guessing I just need to repeat that 80 more times...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: