Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

The up and down Idle issue - Possible update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The up and down Idle issue - Possible update.

I finished my rebuild a few months ago and last week my car started the dreaded 2000 to 1000 idle drop. I searched on here and a few other spots and commenced the process of elimination. I cleaned the already clean IACV, Adjusted the FITV and cleaned it, cleaned the EGR Valve, Even went as far to block off the start boost valve since I read somewhere that its recommended when running a hopped up cam. Nothing stopped it. Checked the whole thing for vacuum leaks a dozen times, bled the coolant system a few times. I finally gave up and just started reaching for anything that might help and first thing I tried that I never seen listed was back off the little throttle stop screw Its a pain to do on a hot motor, but shes right where she should be on idle now. I apologize if anyone else has posted this potential fix, but just in case no one has I wanted to get it out there.

Originally posted by ravenexi View Post
    I finished my rebuild a few months ago and last week my car started the dreaded 2000 to 1000 idle drop. I searched on here and a few other spots and commenced the process of elimination. I cleaned the already clean IACV, Adjusted the FITV and cleaned it, cleaned the EGR Valve, Even went as far to block off the start boost valve since I read somewhere that its recommended when running a hopped up cam. Nothing stopped it. Checked the whole thing for vacuum leaks a dozen times, bled the coolant system a few times. I finally gave up and just started reaching for anything that might help and first thing I tried that I never seen listed was back off the little throttle stop screw Its a pain to do on a hot motor, but shes right where she should be on idle now. I apologize if anyone else has posted this potential fix, but just in case no one has I wanted to get it out there.
    Yes but have you went out while its idling and rev it up a few times to see if it comes back? My experience was me thinking it was fixed cause it stopped, but as soon as I rev'd it a few times it came right back. Just food for thought..
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

My issue was my throttle cable. Its supposed to have 10mm of play. Mine didn't.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Yeah I drove it hard and fast , then drove miss daisy and ways and it stayed away. I'm pretty sure I got it. If it comes back soon Ill post it.

Comment

Yeah I drove it hard and fast , then drove miss daisy and ways and it stayed away. I'm pretty sure I got it. If it comes back soon Ill post it.
          I think your fine then, it would have shown back up by now. It's had a chance to build vacuum and to cycle the coolant, good job bud!
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

If you are talking about the throttle stop screw located at the throttle body bell crank..that's a no no.

According to Honda, you are not supposed to touch that screw. Apparently, the throttle position sensor is calibrated very carefully with this screw. Also, I don't see how this would solve the 1,000 rpm idle fluctuation.

I would be more inclined to think the brass "idle speed screw" at the top of the throttle body would be a better candidate. This is not actually a "idle speed screw", it's a "idle mixture screw". Turn it out for lean mixture (usually faster) turn it in for rich mixture (slower and lumpy). If Honda called it what it is, they would need to put a cap on it.

Comment

No no or not it worked, As with any potentiometer (which is what your TPS is) the resistance will change over time. Considering that I am running an A6 manifold with a P12 ecu they could have never been calibrated together any ways. I figure the issue was years of throttle use had slightly wore the throttle plate just enough to allow more vacuum past it which was confusing the map sensor and IACV. Just like a vacuum leak.

Comment

I checked the manual, it said first check fast idle valve, then check eacv, then adjust the idle adjusting screw. I cleaned all the parts, then finally turning the screw made the difference for me.

Comment

I had the same problem and it was a simple fix. I found the culprit to be the engine idle control valve! When you remove the cap on the top, you will see a probe with a plastic ring around it, and the ring has two flat slots, tighten the ring all the way till it's tight, and just like that problem solved! The problem is that these cars are very coolant dependent and if air gets in the line it causes your idle problem, having the ring loose allows air into the line causing your problem. Hope this helps someone in the future!
                  Current
                  1992 Accord EX 5-speed Sedan
                  Rosewood Brown
                  1992 Accord EX 5-Speed Sedan
                  Arcadia Green

Previous
                  Bordeaux
                  1993 Accord LX 5-Speed Sedan
                  Bordeaux

Comment

I cleaned the already clean IACV, Adjusted the FITV and cleaned it
                    Originally posted by andrewdink View Post
                    I had the same problem and it was a simple fix. I found the culprit to be the engine idle control valve! When you remove the cap on the top, you will see a probe with a plastic ring around it, and the ring has two flat slots, tighten the ring all the way till it's tight, and just like that problem solved!
                    #1 He said he has checked the engine idle control valve - IACV
                    #2 what you are referring to is the FITV which he said he has already cleaned and adjusted.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

That's what I get for not reading the whole thread, sorry folks.
                      Current
                      1992 Accord EX 5-speed Sedan
                      Rosewood Brown
                      Arcadia Green

Previous
                      Bordeaux
                      1993 Accord LX 5-Speed Sedan
                      Bordeaux

Comment

Working...