Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Balance shaft delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance shaft delete

Just a quick question.

Do we just leave the balance shaft bearings in the block or do we remove them? I assume we leave them in. I notice 4g63 guys will actually rotate one of them to block the oil passage. Rather than tapping and blocking it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow up questions regarding BS Delete Kit. Emailing KS Tuned, but because of the holidays I don't expect a quick answer.

Where does the short dowel plug go on a F23a? And is the larger tap in the kit really meant for a jdm f23a?

In the instructions they tell us to remove and replace the dowels in the pic below. The available instructions are only for the H-Series.

But the F23a is different. I gathered the ones in my pic below with the green arrows are the same as in the pic above. But the fourth shorter dowel will only fit 2 locations without drilling. But that seriously can't be right.

The f23 kit uses the second tap and plug + the short dowel plug. But the larger tap seems way too big. I tried to use it but it doesnt bite. I tried a smaller tap and it look to fit perfectly, but I couldn't use it because it was a different pitch.

Last edited by Tishock; 11-30-2015, 03:51 PM.

depends if your going to take them out or not, if your leaving them in, leave the bearings in also. if you take them out then yes you will want to take them out.

Comment

The bearings are out and were a pain to get out. End up using a large 18 inch chissel and heating up the block. By the second to last one I noticed the bearings have a seam in them (see second pic) and attacking that seam made it easier. See how the upper left bearing is not beat up like the others.

Last edited by Tishock; 11-29-2015, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Up to you if you leave the bearings in or not. I left mine in because it looked like it was going to be too hard to get them out..

Comment

The following link may have answered my questions regarding the location of the larger dowel pin and the tap.

http://570sx.blogspot.com/2010/08/ok...as-nearly.html

The plug may need to go in the main cap. This person made their own kit and plugged the hole I mentioned. I'll need to check this the next time I'm in the garage.

This person also mentions they had to drill then tap the hole. I thought the KS Tuned kit did not require us to drill?

In the block's main girdle I drilled, tapped and installed a 1/2-20unf set screw into the #3 main on the rear balance shaft:
          Last edited by Tishock; 11-30-2015, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Ok, KSTuned replied to me to today.

The BS bearings do not have to be removed. Oh well

On a F23, the one larger dowel plug in the kit, does go in the main cap and not the girdle. See pic in previous post.

They didn't answer my question about the f23 tap size. So I'll post their reply when it comes in. But like the link in the previous post mentions, they had to drill and then tap. I'm considering just ordering that one BS bearing and using it to block off the hole, like the Evo guys do. I'm not comfortable drilling in to my block. My drill press isn't big enough to accommodate the block.

Comment

Working...
            X