5 Speed Swap, Now Starter Noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Speed Swap, Now Starter Noise.

Hey guy's, I did a 5 speed swap and am using a manual starter, but I am getting this very loud metal on metal noise when cranking over. Anyone have any idea to why this is doing this? I can see on the flywheel that the teeth are meshing. Do I need to try a new starter or what? I'm going to try shimming it but I've never heard of a Honda needing shims.

^^^^^
    Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

Bump? Please!

^^^^^
    Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

Comment

Where did you get the starter and Flywheel? are they both specifically for 90-93 Manual Accord? where did you sort all your parts from?

It seems to be coming from that area and truthfully it sounds like the starter and flywheel are not grooving together because the teeth don't line up.
      Last edited by Davids92Accord; 01-04-2016, 07:27 PM.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
      "2SIIC"
      Authentic Jerseys for sale
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Originally posted by Davids92Accord View Post
        Where did you get the starter and Flywheel? are they both specifically for 90-93 Manual Accord? where did you sort all your parts from?

It seems to be coming from that area and truthfully it sounds like the starter and flywheel are not grooving together because the teeth don't line up.
        I got the whole clutch kit and flywheel from a bunch of my friends for a moving away gift and it is for a CB7. It is this kit. I got the starter off of the parts car I used for the whole swap. So it may be pretty old. I really hope it's just the starter because I can't afford another flywheel/clutch kit and it would also be very disappointing since I got it as a gift from all of my buddies. Plus I do not want to deal with taking my transmission back out.

^^^^^
        Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

Comment

I found out that it's the starter. It has probably around 200K miles on it. Thanks for the help though! David!

^^^^^
          Click picture for MRT

Sparkin CB7

Comment

I was going to say, that is almost certainly a dying starter. You can tell by the slow crank, but they also start to sound like that when they are worn out. Usually happens between 200-300K on this gen Accord.

I have a manual starter on my car that sounds a little bad, but it cranks fine so I haven't changed it yet. I think that one had about 260K on it when I pulled the starter.

Glad you figured it out.
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
            X