Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Vinyl Wraps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl Wraps

With these cars being 20+ years old, I am trying to take stock on this as an option. (as opposed to painting) I have read up a little bit on the technology, but wanted to ask members here experiences with them (good and bad), and lessons learned from those that have had them done.

Appreciate it!

i have a few friends that have done various wraps to their car, issue is the adheisive is really strong and with the clear coat issue on most CB's it can be troublesome. Its like anything else once its professionally done you shoud be fine, just make sure its a wrap you want because its not the easiest to remove. On the other hand Plasti-Dip is something you may want to consider. Its easy to remove, however very durable. The only thing is most of the finishes are matte or satin; personally i like that finish, but everyone is different.

Comment

TriniCB7, thanks for the response. I do like the matte/satin finishes, it can bring out lines on a car nicely. Plasti-Dip sounds like a strong consideration, looks like I have some catching up to do on this. What are the price points of it (as compared to wrap / painting?) Sorry to be so vague, as I know painting can vary wildly depending on colors / prep / stages / etc.

Comment

A good wrap applied professionally will be a bit less than a cheap "Pro" re-paint (MACCO). Upside is wraps are more durable (depending on the wrap type) and can be removed easily (compared to paint).

Plastidip is alright, but it's not as durable as a vinyl wrap and needs several coats to really work correctly. Somewhere in the range of 4-7 coats is required to get both a good finish, and make removal easier (the more coats the more "solid" and durable it is). Plastidip can be applied in a weekend and cost less than $100 depending on how big the car is (cost is about the same as rattle canning a car). The downside is it will probably only last a year or two (maybe more if done really well). While it is somewhat durable (bugs and dirt it handles just fine, rocks not so much), once it starts to go it tends to take the whole thing with it.

Comment

My friend had his RSX wrapped last year.....it was nothing but trouble for him. He had it done professionally, as his car was sponsored by a wrap company, but he just had a ton of issues with the wrap coming up and bubbling in certain spots.

IMO, if you are spending the money for a good wrap (which you need, if you want it to last any amount of time), you might as well spend a little bit more for a decent paint job.

Comment

I've thought about wraps as well. I would be afraid of it bubbling, but I believe that is part of the preparation. It's just like applying tint, or rather similar concepts. I say do it yourself and save money...as long as you are confident with an exacto knife, our cars aren't hard to do.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

That's exactly it. Preparation is key for both wrapping AND painting.
              Both wrapping and painting look best when done with the proper tools, and practice and skill make a big difference in the final result. Quality products will also make a big difference... cheap paint and cheap vinyl will both be evident in a very short time.

Having a car professionally wrapped is going to cost as much, if not more than, a decent paintjob. I've had my car painted by Maaco twice ($500 job), the most recent being 2006, and it STILL looks great. Never garaged.

We do have one member that used carbon fiber vinyl wrap on his car, and the results were impressive. I feel like an idiot for forgetting his screen name!

Comment

Agreed on the prep being the key. I appreciate all the good advice on pricing points as well. nice to hear that MAACO job holding up!!

Comment

I guess $299 is fine to spend on a $800 car and would 10 x's better than sun-faded, clear coating peeling 25 year old paint.
                  01 AP1 (weekend cruiser)
                  96 Boosted DC2 (my dream car)
                  92 CB7 (winter beater)
                  09 Ruckus
                  92 MKII VR GTI
                  17 Fiesta ST
                  My crew SpeedeG is the featured Team Profile in vol. 5 issue 5 of S3 Magazine. Check it out.

Comment

I would go plasti dip, I've had my hood flat black dipped for over a year, and when it's clean, it looks like I just put it on.
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Let's not resurrect ancient threads, fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Let's not resurrect ancient threads, fellas.
                        I didn't realize this was old!
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Would it be best to start a new thread then? Just asking, because it seems the old threads get resurrected by new members asking the same questions. I guess we would like the input from the OG's on the site. Thanks in advance.
                          01 AP1 (weekend cruiser)
                          96 Boosted DC2 (my dream car)
                          92 CB7 (winter beater)
                          09 Ruckus
                          92 MKII VR GTI
                          17 Fiesta ST
                          My crew SpeedeG is the featured Team Profile in vol. 5 issue 5 of S3 Magazine. Check it out.

Comment

Working...
                          X