No announcement yet.

G23 Set up in my car is leaking..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was the author of that thread. If you read carefully, I did not insist that anyone who attempted that swap was an idiot. Nor do I feel that anything I said in that thread has been a detriment to the car-modifying hobby or society, at large.

This thread came about at a time when every fourth post on this site was someone looking to make a "G22" or "G23". The sentiment behind most of that was someone who didn't want to spend the money on a full H22 swap but found a head on Craigslist for cheap. Tons of people on the Facebook pages, H-T, this forum and others were wanting to do it for as absolutely cheap as possible, and many attempted. So to your implication that I intended to stifle those from being different; stop. It's so played out that it's not even funny.

I also take issue with the fact that you're so offended by my thread when I made every attempt to show physical evidence of the issues present when doing such a swap. Disagree with me all you want, but my thread was not one of poo-flinging fanboyism for the H-series. It was well-thought, reasoned evidence of the issues that one would have to overcome if they were going to do it. I even laid out what you would need in order to complete it!

But since you missed it, I'll reiterate it for you. There are issues with this swap. I made those clear. There are also better options to pursue if "being different" is the goal. But I don't believe that it is, usually. In PirateMcFred's case, he was attempting to find a workaround for the FRM sleeves. He also addressed one of the main drawbacks to this swap by installing new pistons to boost compression. No, most people go this route because they found a head in a junkyard that had most of the cam caps in place and they wanted VTAK! in their Accord.

I'm all for being different, but if you're going to be offended at the way that I presented an argument against something like that, then you seem sort of unreasonable.

Have fun with that compression.

Last edited by Jarrett; 10-20-2017, 09:17 AM.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Not that it matters much b his "G23" is topped with an F20B head.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        I was the author of that thread. If you read carefully, I did not insist that anyone who attempted that swap was an idiot. Nor do I feel the anything I said in that thread has been a detriment to the car-modifying or society, at large.

This thread came about at a time when every fourth post on this site was someone looking to make a "G22" or "G23". The sentiment behind most of that was someone who didn't want to spend the money on a full H22 swap but found a head on Craigslist for cheap. Tons of people on the Facebook pages, H-T, this forum and others were wanting to do it for as absolutely cheap as possible, and many attempted. So to your implication that I intended to stifle those from being different; stop. It's so played out that it's not even funny.

I also take issue with the fact that you're so offended by my thread when I made every attempt to show physical evidence of the issues present when doing such a swap. Disagree with me all you want, but my thread was not one of poo-flinging fanboyism for the H-series. It was well-thought, reasoned evidence of the issues that one would have to overcome if they were going to do it. I even laid out what you would need in order to complete it!

But since you missed it, I'll reiterate it for you. There are issues with this swap. I made those clear. There are also better options to pursue if "being different" is the goal. But I don't believe that it is, usually. In PirateMcFred's case, he was attempting to find a workaround for the FRM sleeves. He also addressed one of the main drawbacks to this swap by installing new pistons to boost compression. No, most people go this route because they found a head in a junkyard that had most of the cam caps in place and they wanted VTAK! in their Accord.

I'm all for being different, but if you're going to be offended at the way that I presented an argument against something like that, then you seem sort of unreasonable.

Have fun with that compression.

I'm not offended. Let's get that clear. I'm offended when me, as an African American male gets blind side by some off color racist or biggoted comment from anyone of any race.

I'm offended..when someone offers me a wine cooler or a Mike's hard lemonade or worse a...... ZIMA.

IM offended when my child gets critiqued because she knows every Drake song but people overlook that she knows all the letters of the alphabet, can do multiplication tables past the 12's and can spell over a few hundred words.

I'm never offended by some guy bashing an engine.

I find you to be a pessimist. As with all pessimistic people , your desire to make the negatives of a situation obvious and bring them to the for front isn't EVER appealing to anyone who wants to do something for the sake of doing it----regardless of whether there is a better option.

Captain Obvious...we know there are better choices out there. As I stated...I own them. My Euro R would out perform this set up many times over. My Type S probably would to. But the fact remains that I've never had or owned a G23 motor before and right there under the Bonnet of this car happens to be one.

So why not? Is it possible that I wanna explore a little? Can I see for myself? Is it so wrong that I wanna see what the wonders of 8.8:1 compression have to offer me? Am I not free to do that? Has Trump taken that away from us to? That you have to make it KNOWN that I could be doing so many other things better, that we all know could be done?

Sir I thank you for the thread. And you know what I'ma do with this 8.8:1 compression and iron sleeves??...boost the hell out if it.

God bless America and the G23 sir. You have a good day.

Comment

A side note to this. Also Jarrett wasn't trying to offend or insult, just trying to get you some information. If anyone is doing anything for the sake of doing it, it would be Jarrett, he's slowly working on putting a monster of J series in his CB7, so this isn't the right tree to bark up about poo poo'ing on being different for the sake of it.

Anywho, the real reason I replied to this thread again. If you really do have a JDM F23A and not the USDM version, this is actually what your engine will look like.

"G23" w/ JDM F23A Bottom End

So instead of the 8.8:1 compression, you'll actually be at 9.3:1 compression.
          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
            A side note to this. Also Jarrett wasn't trying to offend or insult, just trying to get you some information. If anyone is doing anything for the sake of doing it, it would be Jarrett, he's slowly working on putting a monster of J series in his CB7, so this isn't the right tree to bark up about poo poo'ing on being different for the sake of it.

Anywho, the real reason I replied to this thread again. If you really do have a JDM F23A and not the USDM version, this is actually what your engine will look like.

"G23" w/ JDM F23A Bottom End

So instead of the 8.8:1 compression, you'll actually be at 9.3:1 compression.
            Hmm... and with a 1 layer gasket it would be 9.6:1. Interesting.

J series into a Cb7 isn't a bad idea at all but hasn't it been DONE? Saw one at Honda Day.

Comment

No different than your "G23" you have there. Someone has been there and done that already. Touche
              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by TheProfessional View Post

J series into a Cb7 isn't a bad idea at all but hasn't it been DONE? Saw one at Honda Day.

I suppose it has been done. And, if memory serves, it's been done by you! Twice, at that!

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...&postcount=445

No one said you couldn't do something you wanted to your car, just for the sake of trying it out. I just made the issues obvious to those who were ignorant to all of their issues. If you read that and still wanted to pursue it while knowing the additional things that needed to be done, power to you. Most people don't know those things, though.

I will bend over backwards to get people good information on this forum. I also do not have a mind set that there is only one way to do things. You misunderstand me.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

H23Accord(Adam).
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=23392

Is the only build that I know that successfully built a "g23" and boosted it. I personally have rode in this car and even raced it. Very nice build but a lot of time and money spent.
                  Though his was built with an F23 block and H22 head
                  ~Nick~
                  FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                  MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                    I suppose it has been done. And, if memory serves, it's been done by you! Twice, at that!

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...&postcount=445

No one said you couldn't do something you wanted to your car, just for the sake of trying it out. I just made the issues obvious to those who were ignorant to all of their issues. If you read that and still wanted to pursue it while knowing the additional things that needed to be done, power to you. Most people don't know those things, though.

I will bend over backwards to get people good information on this forum. I also do not have a mind set that there is only one way to do things. You misunderstand me.
                    I mean that's fair.

And I asked the question of a j swapped CB7 kinda sarcastically because let's be frank..it's been done.

Now..if you've figured out a way to do it that doesn't involve mocking an entire subframe up into the car THEN Im all for it.

All in all I read your thread and it left a bad taste in my mouth. In no way shape or form did it give me a bad outlook on you personally because you come across very knowledgeable and I don't take things personally.

When it all boils down to it, opinions and constructive criticism are things that should be taken and given willingly and I remain still optimistic and positive through it all. No harm no foul bro.

Now back to it....does ur J swap method Not involve mocking up an entire sub frame to the car? Like...did u fab mounts? It's a side bar I'd appreciate. I'm minus both those CB7'S and would gladly swap again if there is a less involving method.

Comment

Originally posted by TheProfessional View Post

Nowhere near as much as a Craigslist G23

The only good way to do this swap is to get an H22 and swap the F22 crank and rods in it. Can't remember which years line up; I remember the 98+ had the 55mm mains vs the 50 on the early ones but the point is mixing and matching heads and blocks is probably gonna end in heartache. It's not being pessimistic, it's being realistic.

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I opened this thread with the intention of helping, but I saw the direction it went. I should abstain entirely at this point... but I'm weak. I can't resist. So I will say this: the G series has 5 cylinders. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          I opened this thread with the intention of helping, but I saw the direction it went. I should abstain entirely at this point... but I'm weak. I can't resist. So I will say this: the G series has 5 cylinders. That is all.
                          Put an f'n h head on that g.
                          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

get a complete F20B for ~600 and do it right. youre almost halfway there with plugs and decking. the remainder will account for time spent fucking with it. 300cc will barely be noticeable

Comment

I'd prefer an H22 myself, but either way... F20B or H22A, or even H23A (VTEC) would be a MUCH better choice than the hybrid turd. And I agree... be it 2.0, 2.2, or 2.3, you're not going to notice the difference all that much. Even the 180ps F20B would be sufficiently powerful to be enjoyable.

Comment

IDK man, displacement matters. Imagine lopping 10-20% of power/torque off of any of your cars. No way. Get the most displacement you can afford. Cheapest route is an old H22 + F22 crank. Not sure what happens with compression though. But that will rip for cheap and not leak.

Originally posted by lordoja
                                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                                X