ex swaybar vs. s/t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ex swaybar vs. s/t

I have a '90 lx so I want to get a rear sway bar. Is the s/t sway bar significantly larger than the stock bar on an ex? Does anybody know the diameter? Becuase I can get the ex swaybar from junkyard for next to nothing. I was planning on just getting the rear. Thanks.

-Carl

You will notice a difference in the EX sway bar over nothing. You will also notice a difference in the ST over the EX. My advice, get the matched set, you'll love it. One of the best upgrades I've done.

BTW, this has been covered before, so you might do a search for more info.
    -Jay

Comment

You have the matched set (front and back) of S/T sway bars or added the EX to your LX/DX?
      Bart: What's your name?
      Jim: Well, my name is Jim, but most people call me... Jim.

Comment

if you plan to add the EX rear sway, you will need the EX rear crossmember as the LX crossmember doesn't have the holes to mount the swaybar brackets. you can't just simply "drill" the holes either. they are threaded. i just finished installing an EX crossmember on an LX while doing a rear disc swap.

the ST rear sway uses it's own bracket (independent from the original mounting points) so it will work on either LX or EX crossmembers.

i have the matched set of ST sways (front and rear). from not having a rear swaybar, since i have an LX, i can undoubtedly say that the difference is HUGE! i bet having the EX rear sway does make a difference as well but it isn't as dramatic as the ST (since ST is a lot thicker in diameter on both front and rear).
        1cor10:31
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

the diameter of the suspension technique rear sway bar is 21mm. the diamter of the ex rear sway is smaller... i think it's 19mm, but i may be incorrect.
          Last edited by uncle_el; 11-27-2004, 12:28 PM.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

I would be surprised if the EX is 19mm. It's about the thickness of a pencil.
            -Jay

Comment

i thought the thickness was 12mm.........no? i also could be wrong. mines like the thickness of a crayon.

Comment

I want to say that mine was like 15 or 16. Good to know about the whole threaded hole thing, but from what I remember you could just drill and use a nut from the other side tho?

Just remember from what I've read, if you have about 2.25 exhaust, you'll rub the bar on the exhaust

Comment

well i checked the diameter of mine, its 16mm , accordwarrior you were right bro.

Comment

so:
                    s/t is 21mm
                    stock ex is 16 mm
                    Last edited by uncle_el; 11-27-2004, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Anyone have pics? Im wondering if i should invest in one. I dont want it to hit the exhaust though.

Comment

There's no way to really get around it hitting the exhuast occassionally. Well worth it in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by NutBucket
                          There's no way to really get around it hitting the exhuast occassionally. Well worth it in my opinion.
                          my greddy sp sits on my ST sway all the time. it rattles at a certain rpm. there really is no way to get around it but to kink the exhaust out of the way, but i don't want to do that. i guess i have to live with it, but having the bar is well worth the trouble.

aero3685, just get one if you can. you will not be disappointed at all!
                          1cor10:31
                          - 92 LX coupe
                          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
                            my greddy sp sits on my ST sway all the time. it rattles at a certain rpm. there really is no way to get around it but to kink the exhaust out of the way, but i don't want to do that. i guess i have to live with it, but having the bar is well worth the trouble.

aero3685, just get one if you can. you will not be disappointed at all!
                            same sway bar
                            same exhaust
                            same thoughts

Comment

s/t swaybar is 19mm (atleast this is what i remember when researching these before i bought it)

progress is 22mm...but it costs more than s/t and you have to drill into the subframe

ex is so small you shouldn't waste your money

btw these measurements are for the rear swabyar

also, about the swaybar hitting the exhaust, you can try heat wrapping the exhaust/swaybar and they won't make any more noise
                              For Sale:
                              itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
                              tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

Comment

Working...
                              X