AC Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC Question

I charged my ac a few weeks ago and the psi readings seem ok, they were low but ok. I am charging just on the low side and don't have one of those dual gauges that evacuates it and stuff. I have been waiting till the freon leaked out so i can put in this r134a with dye and see where my leaks are coming from. Today when i went out to check the readings it seems very high. WHen ac is off the psi on low side is at 70 psi about. WHen i turn the ac on i get 2 readings. The first is about 55 psi before compressor kicks on and when compressor kicks on it goes down to about 5 psi after a few seconds and stays there until compressor kicks off and then goes back up to 55 psi or higher. It seems it will climb even high if compressor stayed off longer. My readings a few weeks ago after i charged it were 35 when compressor off and goes to 10 psi when it cuts on. I have no ideal what this means. Anyone know? THe outside air temp today was about 67 degrees.

When you get time, go to O’Advancenapazone and barrow a gauge set. If you’re using one of those gauges on the can of refrigerant, you’re not going anywhere. We need that high side reading too. At 67 degrees the low side should be around 40psi give or take a few pounds. The high side should be right around 150psi.

Both sides will move with the compressor turning on with some RPM so the drop in low side pressure is normal, but it should not be over 45psi

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
      When you get time, go to O’Advancenapazone and barrow a gauge set. If you’re using one of those gauges on the can of refrigerant, you’re not going anywhere. We need that high side reading too. At 67 degrees the low side should be around 40psi give or take a few pounds. The high side should be right around 150psi.

Both sides will move with the compressor turning on with some RPM so the drop in low side pressure is normal, but it should not be over 45psi
      So do i got too much freon in system maybe? I wanted to add this dye first so i can check where my leaks are? I already got their loaner dye checker.

Comment

Possibly too much. I can tell you for sure if I get that high side reading. Too full or a restriction somewhere in the system.

Also, always fill on the low pressure side when you get the gauges. Filling on the high pressure side is a no. You can hurt yourself.

Comment

Possibly too much. I can tell you for sure if I get that high side reading. Too full or a restriction somewhere in the system.

Also, always fill on the low pressure side when you get the gauges. Filling on the high pressure side is a no. You can hurt yourself.
          OK let me ask this as i already got a rental dye checker and now thinking about things. I don't really need to know now where i have additional leaks. I know my Compressor is leaking. And if i am going to replace my compressor then i am also going to replace the accumulator and that other stuff. So checking now isn't any big deal right? Even though i would like to make sure my Compressor is leaking. I do trust the shop enough i guess to say they wouldn't lie about this but who knows as the service manager was fired a few days after they checked this for lying to customers. I was waiting to order all my ac parts till i found out where all my leaks are if i have anymore than compressor but what does it matter since i am almost replacing everything anyways. That will only leave the schrader valves leaking and some other connection lines possibly. I hope i am making sense here.

Comment

connections to look for dye are compressor, condenser, accumulator, and evaporator. The evaporator will also have connections for the expansion valve and bulb.

Pressure switch is also known to leak just like the oil sender on the block does. Shine the black light on the entire condenser & evaporator to check for possible breaks in the windings. Hoses can corrode and cause pinhole leaks as well. To be 100% sure on the leaks you have to be 100% through in your inspection.

Service port shrader valves are like $0.50 so replacing those is very cheap and easy. Be sure not to crank them down as it’s easy to strip or break them.

Comment

So it is ok if i just replace my compressor and the other stuff and then check for leaks anywhere else. Does it matter that i know now if i have additional leaks elsewhere. Besides the point it would be better i guess to know before replacing compressor but other than that.

Comment

Yeah it’s okay to just replace the compressor, drier, and expansion valve/bulb & check for other leaks

Comment

Ok i got a dual set gauge and an air pump. Kind of a piece of crap they loan out for $130 for gauge and 180 for 60 dollar air pump. Air pump is only 1.8 cfm. I only evacuated system and pressure never got below -20 psi. It also leaked out to a reading of 7 in about an hour. I obviously have a leak or leaks somewhere. This was after i replaced schrader valves on both ports.

Comment

Most likely your hard line connections have bad o-rings in them. You should be breaking all the line connections and replacing the o-rings with the green ones.
                    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Of it doesn’t reach 30inHG within a few minutes it means you have a massive leak in the system. Put some dye in the system and give it a small refrigerant charge. It’s going to leak out, but it will tell you where the leak is. Not the most environmentally friendly way, but it works.

Comment

Of it doesn’t reach 30inHG within a few minutes it means you have a massive leak in the system. Put some dye in the system and give it a small refrigerant charge. It’s going to leak out, but it will tell you where the leak is. Not the most environmentally friendly way, but it works.
                        Am at the start of replacing all my ac stuff then i'll do a pressure test again. All this stuff is going to take me a few days. Got evap core out and cleaned. Valve back on and all back in case ready to put back on. I am about to start taking old condenser off. I think i'll put evap core back on after i can flush those lines out that is connects to. I am slow.I probably won't be until sunday getting compressor on.

Comment

Working...
                        X