Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Reliable and Low Cost Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable and Low Cost Rebuild

We have the motor from our recently retired race car. It is an F22A1 with about 230,000 miles on it. The last 4000 are race miles. The motor burned oil but pulled us around the tracks without fail for 8 LeMons races. Since the motor in our new accord seems tighter, we will use that one. Which gives us the opportunity to rebuild the mill from the Minnow.

My primary goals are reasonable cost and high reliability. It would be awesome to end up with some modest power gains over an A6.

We already have an A6 computer, and the A4 header. I expect to either pull a head from a junkyard A6 or maybe get a Delta or web cam. I also plan to get a windage tray from an A6. We'll either find an H23 intake manifold, or settle for an A6 manifold. Of course those are all bolt on things that aren't so much about the rebuild.

I know there are nice gains over what we had just from a motor with tight valves and rings. Of course I fantasize about building something powerful and high revving, but money won't allow it, and reliability is super important, this is endurance not sprint racing. Still if we could have 160 crank horsepower we could hang with 80-90% of the cars.

It seems to me that the smart money would be spent on just doing the basics right. Maybe pay for the valve seats to be machined, the valves lapped, and cleanup the intake a bit.

This is totally in the imagining phase, who knows if it will happen at all. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Port and polish would help. Gasket match at least. Maybe bore out and polish the throttle body. 2.5” collector on the downpipe if you don’t have that already.

Comment

If you are looking for any gains at all you need to up thto compression in these motors to really benefit from anything. A f23 block is a damn good place to start with 9.3:1 compression and better stroke. Get more power and some down low tq too. With a port job and a a6 manifold/head this setup kicks some good ass. Also you open up some more stock options for upgrades that u can find rather cheap. Like k20 pistons that can be put in this block with some h22 rods. That will up compression to about 11:1 or more if u get the type s pistons.

my new turbo build

Comment

We are going to use the f22 case. We'd like to up the CR just a bit, about 10:1. Piston suggestions? I think that's the only internal upgrade we want to make.

Today I got the intake and the head off the motor. I was please that the piston tops looked mostly carbon free, the intake valves were pretty clean, and the exhaust valves had white build up on them. The exhaust valve stems have the same white build up. The cylinders look very healthy. If it weren't for the fact that the oil gets dirty after one full day of racing, I would say the motor didn't need a rebuild. There are some photos on the raceteam blog

http://picknpullracing.wordpress.com
        Last edited by ukemike; 06-11-2018, 03:13 AM.
        ==========================
        1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
        1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
        Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
        Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
        M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
        Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

I remember that the F20 pistons increase compression on the F22 but can completely remember if the rods can be used or not. As the other friend suggested you can run a F23 block with K20 pistons will yield you a compression in the 11s.
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Working...
          X