CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Appearance > Body Kits & Aerodynamics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #521
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeeleDesign View Post
Well I'm pretty sure boss man forgot about this...... Don't really want to bug him about it, I'm not to good at setting things like this up, so we are just waiting on the contest to be setup.
Life has been chaotic for me over the past few months, but it's calming down a bit now. I do still want to get the contest going, if you're still up for it!

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #522
KeeleDesign
Contributing Painter

KeeleDesign seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via Yahoo to KeeleDesign
Old 07-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #523
KeeleDesign
Contributing Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
Sha-bam!

It doesn't flow quite as well as I was hoping, but still, it's much better than stock.

...and on the K. I wish the H's cap was wrapped so tightly by the body of the valve cover.

The cap doesn't look bad, I think the shaved awesome cover makes the cap look bad, lol.
I'm sure you can cut the threaded part off the oem cap and epoxy your own shape and design together to make a real smooth custom piece that fits the contour and flows with the cover, I'd make it out of sheetmetal steal, for that complete shaved look, I wish I had known it wouldn't fit right. I could have modified that area.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 PM   #524
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT is cool... so far.
Here's a cover I'm working on myself. Still needs the letter paint sanded off and some clear, but I wanted to share my work in progress:

As I found it in the junkyard. Crappy wrinkle red.

Aircraft remover

Sanding it smooth. Did a thorough job on the letters with a sanding block, so removing the paint later on should be easier.

High-temp primer, then wet-sanded with 600-grit

High-temp white, then again with the 600 wet. This coat actually came out so perfect, I was tempted to leave it white. I did a white base hoping the final color would come out brighter.

BMW's Monaco Blue Metallic (A35). Sprayed on one coat, wet sanded with 800 then 1500, then sprayed another coat of blue. Some imperfections came out on the second coat, mainly some puddling or bubbling above the 'D' and to the right of that, at the corner of the plug dish. But I'm not going to risk further sanding just to have that show up in the clear coat.

After the first coat, it wasn't as blue as I was hoping, but the second coat really helped. I'm expecting the gloss clear to bring a bit more of it out. Definitely my best work yet though; I'm proud of it.

Going to get an OE silver plug cover and OE non-shaved wire cover to go with it. I at least want three covers for my engine; in the factory black, blue, and red options. The black was a stealth job (^thanks again!), this blue covers a custom-but-OE-inspired take on the factory "blue top," and I want an unmodified red-top Type-S cover.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #525
XCRN
CB7tuner Member

XCRN is cool... so far.
Cyborg, that is beautiful! I do think it would look nice with silver lettering and the silver cap. I would love to do something similar to my BMW but a bit darker.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Last edited by XCRN; 09-18-2014 at 11:39 AM.
XCRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:39 AM   #526
KeeleDesign
Contributing Painter

I'm glad to see the motivation is still alive
Old 09-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #527
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

Before clear, I got the letters sanded down to 1000-grit:

After clear. I tried to repair an old cracked plug cover I kept laying around but, whether it was just a poor-quality primer or something else, I tried starting twice but the primer keeps cracking (or rather looks like it's slipping off) before it can dry and it turns out horrible. Sanding didn't seem to help in getting a second coat on to fill the cracks. I got one shot in with the poor finished product put on, but I'll just order a new one. At least you can see the gist of what it will look like on the car; I stuck the shaved wire cover on there as well for the sake of the photo.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #528
DCB7
CB7tuner Member

DCB7 is cool... so far.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #529
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

Anyone know of a quality wrinkle red spray paint? I picked up a spare valve cover for the RSX today I want to do up in Honda's signature color. After seeing many wrinkle red covers in the junkyards peeling like crazy, I'm not sure I want to just run to AutoZone for VHT. Also, I don't like when they turn out glossy; Honda's own definitely don't shine.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:25 PM   #530
oneoffaccord
Accord of the Month: November 2006

oneoffaccord seems to have made some friends! oneoffaccord seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to oneoffaccord
that H22 valve cover is sexy
oneoffaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #531
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

Finally got the K cover done, now that it's not so frigid cold out. I ended up getting VHT high heat ceramic paint in flat red. It doesn't turn out quite as dark as on the cap, and it oversprays like crazy. It looks decent enough though. I need to replace a coil bolt and get a coil cover before I want to mount it.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:46 PM   #532
oneoffaccord

oneoffaccord seems to have made some friends! oneoffaccord seems to have made some friends!
looking good, I gotta upload my pics of the k series valve covers.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #533
baracuda
Southern Regional Moderator

baracuda is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
Finally got the K cover done, now that it's not so frigid cold out. I ended up getting VHT high heat ceramic paint in flat red. It doesn't turn out quite as dark as on the cap, and it oversprays like crazy. It looks decent enough though. I need to replace a coil bolt and get a coil cover before I want to mount it.

Red? that's super orange! I'm guessing your phone camera is a little off lol!
BTW I think the orange looks far better then red, and will go with the silver color of the car better IMO.

Sold too: Grumpys93, '93CB7Ex, Bunta, prodh22accord, SSMAccord, fleetw00d
baracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #534
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

Yeah, the camera can't quite capture it. It's a bit orange in some lights, but more of a pale brick red or dark salmon color. Should be unique, at least, but definitely not what I was aiming for. Once my stock valve cover is off, I'm sure I'll eventually do something different with that one. Or maybe I'll scuff this one up a bit and just paint over it.

The paint has yet to completely harden though, so I wonder if this ceramic stuff ever will.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 03-09-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #535
oneoffaccord

I strip the factory silver completely, wire wheel, prime paint and clear the cover. The factory paint doesn't hold up well
Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 AM   #536
KeeleDesign
Contributing Painter

Revive
Old 02-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #537
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

On the subject, I'm wanting to start going junkyard hunting to collect all the different Honda valve covers. Paint them all white with sanded lettering, then hang them up in the garage. My idea of art! I never did get to mounting that red cover on my RSX (I don't like the result), and I still have an F22 cover I painted for a friend's CB that he ended up getting rid of, so those will probably be the first contributions.

And since I didn't post my third H22 valve cover in this thread: it's just some candy red hot rod spray paint from AutoZone that I decided on after not wanting to attempt DIY wrinkle.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:48 PM   #538
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

NH-503P-3 is cool... so far.
That’s a nice cover. Awesome job with masking etc. also. I actually prefer the glossy painted or powder coated look on the valve covers. Do you know of a glossy blue that is a color match to the blue H/F valve covers?

~Mark~
NH-503P-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 AM   #539
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

I can't remember seeing any of the main high-temp/engine enamel brands in stores carrying anything close enough to that shade of blue. For my BMW Monaco Blue cover, I got the paint from Automotive Touch-Up and sprayed it between layers of high-temp primer and clear, but as my engine isn't yet running I can't vouch for that 'protection' allowing body paint to hold up to the heat. They'd probably be the best place to go looking for different blues, though, if you know of a factory color from any car manufacturer that looks close - off the top of my head, maybe Ford's "Blue Jeans Metallic" that they have on the new F150s. I've never seen an OEM blue valve cover in person, though.

And yeah, it bugs me a bit when people don't properly mask and just spray over all the little bolt and rubber surfaces. It doesn't look factory that way, but I guess if the painter isn't going for that look (it's all hidden when the cover's installed anyway) that's their decision.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #540
mAd mOrdigan
CB7tuner Member

mAd mOrdigan is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCB7 View Post

Is that all hand painted? Or some sort of overlay?
mAd mOrdigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: