Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light-sensitive auto-on headlight conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light-sensitive auto-on headlight conversion?

I've been wanting to do this forever, first on my CB, then on my Miata. After having newer cars with set-and-forget automatic headlights, I really love it. I know, it's not a whole lot of work to twist a little knob to turn on the lights... but I think it's cool to simply turn the car on at night and have the lights come on. Or have the lights turn on when it gets dark out, without having to think about it.

I looked around, and apparently conversion kits are super cheap. Not as clean as working an OEM stalk into the mix (though maybe you could modify the kit to do it...) but still.
    I kinda want to try it, though I'm hesitant to modify stock wiring, and dashboard removal is never fun.

Here's a kit I found on eBay. $32.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...k1%26vxp%3Dmtr

I built an Arduino setup for about 40 dollars. Probably still have the code laying around.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

That's where I started looking (I might actually have seen you mention it before). Then I stumbled across the kit, which takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation (assuming it works.)

Comment

As long as it's a smart kit (on/off) and not just analog. It would be way easier to just buy one ready to go.
        '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

They have similar add-on modules to get rain sensing wipers, too!

I don't particularly like the auto-on feature, but that item on ebay sounds like that's exactly what it does. Definitely post a folllowup if you end up getting it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Something about putting it on the Miata seems extra special. Auto popup headlights!

Comment

Working...
            X