Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you wanting to swap in a J-series...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
    Given how far back the C32A in the Legend sits relative to the drive wheels I would be hard pressed to come up with a transmission for use with it better than the AWD Skyline GT-R 6-speed. A custom driveshaft connecting the Skyline center differential with the forward differential from the Legend could work. If you swapped the engine to a J-series, a custom oil pan spacer could be made that incorporated the front differential mount. Lengthen the pick-up tube, mill an adapter for the transmission, settle the clutch issue and you're halfway there. Even the 6-speed attached to the R-34 GT-R puts the shifter pretty close to where the Legend shifter is. Of course, if you were swapping in a J-series engine, mount location could be played with to line it up exactly.
    That's true. A 310HP Legend RWD legend would be fun.

It would be difficult to keep the FWD component though. The way the Legend is setup, the transmission is essentially an elongated transverse transmission. The output towards the front has a PTO shaft that runs up and runs a diff on the passenger side of the engine block, and then runs the driver side shaft through the oil pan (sort of an intermediate shaft) and then connects a half shaft to the wheel. It actually is similar to the way Audi is currently doing their longitudinal setup, only it places the axle line several inches further forward, allowing better proportions than even the Audi, which still sits a few inches further ahead than the Acura.

However, what is really interesting, is that other output on the transaxle is blocked off with a plate. It is nearly pointing directly at what would have been a rear differential (it is offset slightly toward the passenger side).

Getting it to be RWD would be a matter of modifying the subframe to carry a rear diff, and then putting a tranny and driveshaft back there. With the way the stock transmission is laid out, you could probably even do it without moving the engine or modifying the firewall.

It would be sweet to swap in an S2000 transmission, but that would need all new gearing, or you could use a Tremec or something, but I think you would lose shift feel. The MT would also make it much more responsive to drive, and probably make integration into the swap easier.

I thought about the J series, but it is taller than the C series, and frankly, the C series was a great engine. Put some headers and maybe some mild cams in it, and I would be satisfied. It would be roughly equivalent to an E36 M3 at that point.

For the record, the MT version of this car was a very low 15 second 1/4 mile car stock, so it was roughly the same speed as those first Type S Acuras with AT.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I remember seeing a hatchback with a v6 supercharged and I thought . wow why? Lol

Its still cool

Comment

Working...
      X