No announcement yet.

vibration between 68-80mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is most evident that your tires are bad is the fact that it vibrates in the sensitive range (70ish). You mentioned it comes in and out. That's because the high spot on your tires are bad and phase in and out because they aren't identical size and pressure and when you turn that obviously changes the phasing. When they're in phase it's the worst, when they're perfectly out of phase it likely won't shake at all, and anywhere in between will change magnitude. Then you mentioned you put stiffer bushings in? That will change the resonant frequency of your suspension. Stiffer will simply move the vibration to a higher speed, which is what you claimed happened.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Not to sound too dumb but what exactly is R1 and R2?
      This has also done this through 2 sets of tires.

I do know that one of the wheels is Out of Round. But not terrible.

steve

Comment

Harmonics are great aren't they?

I have that same wonderful vibration. Could a bent lip cause that as well?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stoner51 View Post
          Thanks for the advice.

Not to sound too dumb but what exactly is R1 and R2?
          This has also done this through 2 sets of tires.

I do know that one of the wheels is Out of Round. But not terrible.

steve
          Haha. The spec for a car like ours should be around 15lbs. That's at 6-10mph where the machine reads it. All tires grow with high speed. So imagine every time your tire rotates it's hitting your suspension with 20 to 40lbs of force. A little out of round makes a big deal. R1 means it's first order. One hit per rotation. R2 is basically two. And so on.

Comment

This makes sense
            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

BUMP

Any updates Steve?

I am in the process of diagnosing my newly acquired CD5... similar shake to what you are describing...
              '91 EX 280,000 || '90 LX 330,000
              _____(me)__________(wife)___

Comment

I know this thread is old, but improper lug nut torque can cause vibrations too.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                  I know this thread is old, but improper lug nut torque can cause vibrations too.
                  Purposeful torque can actually offset pilot and uniformity error if you're good

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                    Purposeful torque can actually offset pilot and uniformity error if you're good
                    Drunk man doesn't know what this means. I just know 80ftlbs

Comment

If you know where the high spot of the tire is then you should mount the high spot up and then carefully tighten the lugs and it will move the high spot opposite of the pilot error basically canceling each other out.

Comment

My last set of vibration was related to improper balance of the driver side tire. I must have thrown a weight or something.

All is good after the last balance.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                          If you know where the high spot of the tire is then you should mount the high spot up and then carefully tighten the lugs and it will move the high spot opposite of the pilot error basically canceling each other out.
                          Gotcha. It has been learned.

Comment

I moved 600 miles and gave my cb away. Haven't felt a vibration since. I would have kept it if it didn't feel like a radio flyer above 65 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
                              I moved 600 miles and gave my cb away. Haven't felt a vibration since. I would have kept it if it didn't feel like a radio flyer above 65 mph.
                              That was a joke. Steve how are your shakes holding up?
                              This isn't my thread so this long story will be quick. I was back home in July and my brother in law let me drive the old cb while I was in town. The shakes are GONE!.....gone gone. I mean gone. I drove it all week and the car feels amazing. Story time.... I gave him the car cause I couldn't drive it 600 miles with the shakes. Right before I left town I put in a different f22a6 so touched all the ball joints but didn't change any. I filled all the engine mounts with a tube and a half of windoweld I'm guessing that was the fix but hard to tell. I mean I finished the morning I left town and as I was slamming the cv joints in one of them fell apart. I quickly reassembled the same old parts store crap joint and got it together. Those are the only two things that changed. Drove it around the block and tossed him the keys. Go back home 9 moths later and it's perfect.
                              So I don't really know how to fix it but at least now know it's fixable.

Comment

Working...
                              X