Porsche Cayman S?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche Cayman S?

I'm slowly getting over the fact that I need to pay my school loans off first before i purchase a car But in the future, maybe 8-12 months down the road, I was considering this as a "newer" more modern car to have.

I definitely want a sporty car and to me, a Porsche would be something that nobody can argue is a true sports car. Plus its unique and not like every 350/370Z, Sti, Evo, Mazdaspeed3, S2k, Civic Si out there.

I was also considering a new '12 Accord coupe when the '13s come out since the price would go down a bit, but it got me thinking about RWD sports cars...and I read up on this and it seems like it would be a good choice. For in the same ballpark price range, I could have a $60k car for half price that wouldn't be beat to hell, and in most cases, garaged/well taken care of by mature owners.

I'm not talking about anything brand new, was thinking 06' maybe 07' with under 45k miles. Brand new these retail at about $60-65k depending on the options. Right now, I see some for the low 30s with my criteria.

I know the 09+ have 320 hp vs the 295, but a simple exhaust will bridge that gap, which I plan on doing right away, so I'm not too concerned with that increase in power and the premium you'd have to pay to be in an 09' up Cayman S.

But 295hp, 3.4L, boxer 6 engine sounds SWEET when in full song and would be plenty of power for that chassis. Idk if an 08+ Accord V6 6 speed would sound as nice, even with an exhaust, J pipe, etc.

It even gets better gas mileage than the Accord, 20/28 vs 19/26.

I know the cost of maintenance will be higher but that really doesn't sway me. That's a given since it's a premium, German sports car, its obviously going to cost a bit more. I'll be using this as my "fun" car as I would be using my 90' 4dr CB7 for my DD work car. So all the daily stop/go commuting miles would be racked up in that car, since that's a great car to do that type of thing, especially as stock and unmolested it sits and it doesn't look like its going to die anytime soon, even with 264k on the odo.

But the questions I have are, these newer Porsches, how are they reliability wise? I may not have a warranty since I'll be buying an 06/07 car, but are there certain things to look for to fail? There shouldn't be any inherent engine/tranny failures with those year cars right?

But just listen when an exhaust is put on, how can you turn this car down?

Also has the option to close/open valves for when I want it quiet

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

I think you just want a status wagon that screams,"I just got out of college and wanted to be up to my eyeballs in debt."

Or,"Im ballin"

But either way, wrong reasons to buy a porsche.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

i wonder what insurance would be on that?

Comment

Porsches aren't cheap to own.
        wat?

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
          I think you just want a status wagon that screams,"I just got out of college and wanted to be up to my eyeballs in debt."

Or,"Im ballin"

But either way, wrong reasons to buy a porsche.
          I just kinda want to be able to cruise with my friends on the weekends. They're all recent engineering grads, but my Accord doesn't hang really with their M3 and 335i. They all leave me in the dust when we go for a drive even in my H22 coupe with all the bolt-ons, Skunk2 IM, its just like I've reached a plateau with this car, nothing more I could do to it, other than go all out and spend money to build the engine, but I'd still be left with an "old" car in my eyes

I just want a true sports car. An accord, no matter what I do to it, won't be a purpose built sports car, I've done so much to mine over the last 9 yrs of owning it, yet it still feels like just a faster accord on lowered suspension.
          Last edited by Losiracer2; 06-18-2012, 03:51 PM.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

The first and last video's sound good the second not so much.

02 Crv
            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

How much do you owe in student loans? Any other debt? How much do you make in a year?

I would pay off any and all debt before making a purchase like that. I made the same mistake when I graduated college (but not with such an expensive car) and for the same reason, because all my friends had cool fast cars. Pay off all your debt and then save.

Do you live at home or have your own place? Do you have a long term job contract?

Take the future into consideration.

Unless you have a 6 figure yearly income with a long term contract I would hold off on purchasing an expensive car. This is just my advice from my own personal experience of making mistakes.

Comment

I think you are just looking for an ok, so I am going to say go head and do it. Get a Ferrari though.
                H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Originally posted by accord93racer View Post
                  How much do you owe in student loans? Any other debt? How much do you make in a year?

I would pay off any and all debt before making a purchase like that. I made the same mistake when I graduated college (but not with such an expensive car) and for the same reason, because all my friends had cool fast cars. Pay off all your debt and then save.

Do you live at home or have your own place? Do you have a long term job contract?

Take the future into consideration.

Unless you have a 6 figure yearly income with a long term contract I would hold off on purchasing an expensive car. This is just my advice from my own personal experience of making mistakes.
                  This thread will answer all you asked:
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=190697

And I did say 8-12 months down the road, not this instant. i've already paid off 5k of my 18-20k of school debt

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Damn so you went from thinking about a new car, to a newerish Porsche LOL!

Idk man, everyone learns their own way.

Not sure if that is necessary.

If they have 335i and shit why don't you just look for something a little more practical?

Comment

This screams " I have a small dick"

Comment

Honestly, most of the people here are either 16-21 students with no money, or older and simply put don't have very high paying jobs. Caymans are pretty sweet. Def not as *** as the Boxster and are more nimble in the corners than a 911.

You can easily nab a 06-07 for around $40k. Yeah maintenance will be high but fuck it, you're young and single. This is the time to do shit like this. Hell, I know I am trying to kinda do the same thing.
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter
                        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

What's going to really suck is when you realize that it can't hang with a mildly modded Civic.

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
                            What's going to really suck is when you realize that it can't hang with a mildly modded Civic.
                            You've gotta be fucking joking. 265 hp sub 3000 lbs mid-engine car can't hang with a 'mildly' modded Civic? Okay dude, on the moon maybe.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                              Porsches aren't cheap to own.
                              Exactly.

Honestly, I LOVE the Cayman. I think it's a beautiful car, and it handles amazingly. 300-ish horsepower is perfectly respectable, especially in a chuckable little MR like that.

A bar my band played at a couple times was owned by a young kid... mid-20s. His parents left him some money, and he bought 2 things: a bar, and a rootbeer-colored Cayman. I drooled over that car, but at the same time, it made me think "this kid is a total pompous ass!"
                              Last I heard, the bar got shut down for serving minors (something I witnessed myself...) It is now owned by his sister. I haven't seen the Cayman in the lot

Most people that see a young guy getting out of a Cayman, or any Porsche, will probably think you're a spoiled brat driving a car that mommy and daddy bought for you. OR they'll think that you're an irresponsible kid that bit off more than he can chew.
                              It will not be cheap to own. Insurance will rape you in the mouth, and then the wallet. It will not be cheap to repair, and any Porsche mechanic (I wouldn't go to the local grease monkey for that car...) would likely ensure that you'll be farting silent until you're in your 60s. If you want to modify it, that will further increase the cost... and some people (such as myself) wouldn't touch a used performance car that has been modified... so when you decide to sell it, it may be difficult unless you put out the dough to revert to stock.
                              If you want to buy a car that has a high cost of ownership, such as any German performance car, you would be wise to buy new... or lease. Repairs that would nickel and dime you to death on a used car out of warranty will be covered. Some of the top companies even cover wear items, such as brakes and tires (I think Volvo was doing that... not that they have anything fun in their lineup...)

As said, I do love the car. I thought about getting one myself (though with my premature gray hair at 32, people would think I'm a midlife-crisis guy with his toy...) It's rather impractical, though. And with today's volatile job market, I'd wait until you have some serious job security before you jump into something that you'll struggle to afford should you find yourself out of a job.
                              If you decide to buy an expensive car, save. Hardcore. Buy it in cash, so at least you're not making payments should the worst happen... and you have something you can unload, even for a loss, if necessary.

I like your thinking in terms of buying a fun, sporty, flashy car that doesn't lump you in with every other kid fresh out of college. I'm doing a similar thing myself with my current CTS-V hunt (which MAY be drawing to a close... hopefully!)
                              The key is to buy a car that you will like and be proud of, that says what you want it to say to the rest of the world, and that won't absolutely kill you financially to buy, maintain, modify, or repair... ESPECIALLY if you find yourself with a considerably lower income.

One thing I've considered myself is a part time job. I work a good deal, and I make good money... but a part time job can be "play money"... able to be thrown at a frivolous purchase such as a 3rd (*ahem* 4th) car.

Comment

Working...
                              X