Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

can't get ignition timing right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't get ignition timing right.

Car is a 92 with an F22A1 and an auto transaxle.
    My problem is that after installing a new distributor I cannot get the ignition timing back whete it should be. There isn't enough play in the distributor to rotate it far enough towards the radiator. When rotated all the way towards the front of the car the tip of the area on the flywheel where the timing marks are is just above the pointer.
    That means that the car is running, but it lacks acceleration.
    It wasn't like this before I swapped dizzys, and it's the same no matter what dizzy I put in. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Make sure to jump the blue service plug located in foot area of right seat when you are adjusting the timing.
    A&P-IA

Comment

Connector is jumped.
      I'm going to check my cam timing and see where it is, but aside from that I'm kinda out of ideas.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like your mechanical timing is off
        Originally posted by Mishakol129
        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Nope. Cam timing was right on

Comment

Originally posted by stevechaos View Post
            Nope. Cam timing was right on
            Is it still right on? I'd check it again. I can't think what else could cause your problem other then the camshaft timing being off. Perhaps the belt coincidentally jumped a tooth just before or just after changing the distributor...? Relatively unlikely but possible.

Have you recently changed the belt? Are you sure it was / is correctly tight?
            Regards from Oz,
            John.

Comment

You sure youre reading the marks right? when you jump the connector does the cel come on? Is it running good?
              wat?

Comment

Yes, the cel blinks as it should.
                There's not many wrong ways to read the marks. I'm way below them, as in with the distributor turned all the way towards the radiator the pointer is pointing at the very bottom of the place on the flywheel where they are stamped. If I turn it as far as it goes the other way then all I can see through the window is a bolt head.

Comment

What's the part number stamped on the dizzy? Should be TD-xx

Comment

well I got it. I replaced my radiator cap. It was sucking in air and screwing with my base idle. I swapped it, bled the system, reset base idle and boom, back in business. That was about the last thing I thought to check. I figured that the erratic idle was due to the bad timing, so I had to kinda go back to square one to get it figured out.
                    Thanks all those who tried to help me out.

Comment

Having an erratic idle would have been a nice piece of info to have in the beginning...

Comment

Originally posted by stevechaos View Post
                        well I got it. I replaced my radiator cap. It was sucking in air and screwing with my base idle.
                        You were trying to set ignition timing with the base idle speed too high? I think that would advance the base ignition timing (possibly a lot depending on how too high the idle was), which would be why you were running out of retard range with the dizzy rotation (and still not reaching 15&#176; BTDC). Performance would have been bad because the ignition timing would have ended up being quite retarded.

I'm not sure why (as in have no idea) why a leaking radiator cap would cause a high idle speed. Confused...
                        Regards from Oz,
                        John.

Comment

ENG: Setting Base Ignition Timing (F22ax, F22bx): http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=146242

"1) Critical to setting ignition timing, is to first have your idle set properly. Please refer to this thread link and complete before going to step # 2 on this thread."

ENG: Setting Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx): http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=146239

A faulty radiator cap is not hard to fathom setting the grounds for an erratic idle issue. If air gets in the coolant system (which a faulty radiator cap can lead to) then you have a scenario set for a possible erratic idle issue.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                            A faulty radiator cap is not hard to fathom setting the grounds for an erratic idle issue. If air gets in the coolant system (which a faulty radiator cap can lead to) then you have a scenario set for a possible erratic idle issue.
                            I'm not saying it doesn't, but you might have to explain to me the train of cause and effect...
                            Regards from Oz,
                            John.

Comment

Working...
                            X