Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

f22a1 header fitting..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f22a1 header fitting..

i removed my old original factory headers (removing the nuts from header to downpipe was extremely difficult, took me awhile) and i'm trying to install these 4-2-1 headers. i believe they're a4 headers. when i try to sit them in the engine bay there isn't enough space for them to line up with the studs from the head because of other parts in the way. power steer bracket, the front motor mount, the thermostat, the AC hose thingy that's pressurized(don't know the name for it sorry). my question is what would you recommend for me to remove in order for the headers to be applied? in other words which one would give me the least hassle?...
    RIP '91 LX.

when i did my header i took the radiator hose off to get mine on. but i had crappy ebay header. hope this helps.

Comment

You only have one header.

Most people that I know have managed to install an aftermarket 2 piece header with very little trouble... just a little patience and creativity.

Comment

thank u guys for the info, and yes i have been patient. i've tried multiple ways for the header to sit in properly over the past 3 days but there's always something in the way that prevents it. i just removed the thermostat right now and it helped a little, although the far right edge tip of the front motor mount is still blocking it from sitting in.
        so now my only options are to remove the power steering bracket or the motor mount.
        i'm going with jacking up the motor a lil bit and removing the mount...
        RIP '91 LX.

Comment

if the front motor mount is the only one you have to remove to get it in there, then just do it....takes like 3 min. couple 17mm sockets w/ratchets and its out. you dont even need to jack up the engine because its just a torque mount not an actual motor supporting mount.

Comment

yeah i loosened the motor mount bolt n the header sat in. i put everything back together. i changed the oil pan gasket earlier before all this, so i did an oil change and added BG MOA. i'm still an amateur at this "diy" type of thing and have another question. did your new headers smoke up a lil bit while ur engine was running after the install?
            RIP '91 LX.

Comment

Originally posted by youngflyndsaved View Post
              yeah i loosened the motor mount bolt n the header sat in. i put everything back together. i changed the oil pan gasket earlier before all this, so i did an oil change and added BG MOA. i'm still an amateur at this "diy" type of thing and have another question. did your new header smoke up a lil bit while ur engine was running after the install?
              Most brand new header's will smoke a tad because they are brand new. Just kind of breaking them in sort of thing due to the coating on them. Also if you don't wipe off the header after install it will burn the dirt, oil, grease, or whatever may be on there. Nothing to worry about, it will stop eventually. Also, you may have spilled a dash of oil on it while doing your oil change so that may be the reason.

Comment

thanks for info i appreciate it! i was cautious at first about but i thought that might have been the problem. i shut them off after i let it run for a lil, then i started it back up n it stopped smoking.

that's one thing diy threads should warn u about, the after effects of installs and things like that. i remember when i replaced my spark plug tube seals and after i started my motor back up i heard clicking noises and i panicked and thought i did something wrong... it was just the camshaft and rocker arms didn't build up oil yet so the contact created noise.

on another note it sounds beautifuLL with the new headers when i rev..!!!
                RIP '91 LX.

Comment

yea installing a header requires some ... finangling. haha.
                  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

nice choice of word haha.. i learned that the hard way..
                    but i still would have done it all again than to pay for someone to do it.
                    experience=knowledge!
                    RIP '91 LX.

Comment

Working...
                    X