Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Does anyone know how to make a positive and negative post terminals in the engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know how to make a positive and negative post terminals in the engine bay

Hi, I relocated my battery to the trunk a while back. I recently purchased an msd sci pn6300. I'm ready to install this but I realized that a have to connect the red wire to the positive terminal on my battery and the black wire to the negative. In other word, the installation instructions assume I have my battery in the engine bay. At first, I was thinking just soldering more wire to the wires so they can reach my battery in the trunk. Instead, I was wondering if I can make a positive and negative terminal post in the engine bay with the battery in the trunk. This will not only help for my msd install but for other future mods/ adjustments that may need some battery power in the future. It will be nice and practical, IMO. Any ideas? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks in advance to anyone that decides to help.
    Last edited by pike0825; 04-18-2012, 04:07 PM.

You could try using a suitable size junction box made of PVC or something from Home Depot mounted in the engine bay. Cable end terminals can be replaced with proper size copper terminal ends available from auto parts stores.
    A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
      You could try using a suitable size junction box made of PVC or something from Home Depot mounted in the engine bay. Cable end terminals can be replaced with proper size copper terminal ends available from auto parts stores.
      What Exactly is this? The only thing that concerns me is that I whant to deliver the same amount of voltage to my msd as if it was
      Hooked up to the battery itself. The junction box would kinda
      Act like a "middle man" and maybe it would be sending less voltage Cus some voltage may have been lost somewhere in the middle you know what I mEan? As long as I'm getting 12 volts from the junction box I'll be good.

Comment

As long as your alternator is working properly and supplying charging voltage to the main fuse box there will be proper voltage available for what you'll need.
        A&P-IA

Comment

go to the junk yard and look for older bmws they have a piece that goes through the firewall for the positive wire because the battery was located under the seat its bolted on the fire wall on the passenger side usaully

Comment

As long as your alternator is working properly and supplying charging voltage to the main fuse box there will be proper voltage available for what you'll need.
            My charging system is good right now. I did the " big three" upgrade a while ago so I'm good to go. Can u tell me more about this junction box from home depot? Is it just a box with a positiv and negative terminal on it? I'm going to have to run the wire from my battery to this box right? And can I hook up more things to it other than my msd?
            My local junkyard sucks and I don't think I would find an older bmw( what model and year to be exact?) the junction box sound like a better idea IMO. Thanks for the input so far. Any other ideas?

Comment

Just run the power to your fuse box, and the earth to the chassis.
              Where have you run the battery cables to? The fuse box right?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by pike0825 View Post
                My charging system is good right now. I did the " big three" upgrade a while ago so I'm good to go. Can u tell me more about this junction box from home depot? Is it just a box with a positiv and negative terminal on it? I'm going to have to run the wire from my battery to this box right? And can I hook up more things to it other than my msd?
                My local junkyard sucks and I don't think I would find an older bmw( what model and year to be exact?) the junction box sound like a better idea IMO. Thanks for the input so far. Any other ideas?
                Just use the 4 gauge wire running in to the fuse box like stated above. If you want it to be the same as if a battery was there that's the only way. Voltage isn't the only thing to consider, you also need to make sure that you are getting all the current your alternator is putting out. The bigger gauge wire will insure that all your voltage and current are being carried to whatever you need.

Comment

Originally posted by likwid2u View Post
                  go to the junk yard and look for older bmws they have a piece that goes through the firewall for the positive wire because the battery was located under the seat its bolted on the fire wall on the passenger side usaully
                  This.

I know for a fact the late 80's/early 90's 3 series had the battery in the back of the car so they had a cable that ran to the front with two "terminal" ends that were mounted to the firewall so you could jump start it without having to dig out the battery.
                  -Ian

'92 EX Coupe (Member's Ride Thread)

My Blog - Mostly snark about professional motorsports, but I occasionally make it to local and regional events. It's not much now, but I'm working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                    Just run the power to your fuse box, and the earth to the chassis.
                    Where have you run the battery cables to? The fuse box right?
                    Yeah, I have 2 Gauge wire running from alt. to fuse box and from fuse box to the battery. So your saying I can just hook up my positive cable from my msd to the terminal on my fuse box( which one?) and just hook up the nagative cable from my msd to ground ( and not the negative post on my battery?) isn't It important to hook up the msd dirrectly to the negative post on my battery ( considering is pobly a stronger ground) rather than any ground point in the bay?

Comment

Originally posted by pike0825 View Post
                      Yeah, I have 2 Gauge wire running from alt. to fuse box and from fuse box to the battery. So your saying I can just hook up my positive cable from my msd to the terminal on my fuse box( which one?) and just hook up the nagative cable from my msd to ground ( and not the negative post on my battery?) isn't It important to hook up the msd dirrectly to the negative post on my battery ( considering is pobly a stronger ground) rather than any ground point in the bay?
                      Hook the power wire to the 2 gauge at the fusebox (with an inline fuse)
                      And the chassis is fine for an earth, just use a star washer for good contact.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by LastToBrake View Post
                        This.

I know for a fact the late 80's/early 90's 3 series had the battery in the back of the car so they had a cable that ran to the front with two "terminal" ends that were mounted to the firewall so you could jump start it without having to dig out the battery.
                        Thats what I was looking for at first. But like I said my local junkyard won't have bmws. If anyone can find something like this on eBay send me the link please. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                          Hook the power wire to the 2 gauge at the fusebox (with an inline fuse)
                          And the chassis is fine for an earth, just use a star washer for good contact.
                          What side terminal on the fuse box should I run the msd power wire to? The terminal that wires to the alternator or the terminal that wires to the battery? ( or does it not matter? Also, what kind/ size inline fuse? I don't know much about in line fuses. The only in line fuse I got is in my amp power wire going to my battery. Something like that? Much smaller I assume
                          Last edited by pike0825; 04-18-2012, 07:16 PM.

Comment

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAN...YY7?Pid=search

Above is something I had in my head. Bring positive cable from relocated battery into one hole. Bring original battery cable into another hole. Both cables should have terminal ends of proper size for the wire gage installed. see below.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...-2-661858.aspx

Tie the cables with bolt and nut in the middle of the junction box (hub), which should be mounted onto chassis. Keep the lid closed till you need to do "jump" or whatever.

You can have a fuse block connected to the hub through another hole and install MSD. See below.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/conten...FQmynQodRjWJxg

Links are just to show pics as examples.
                            Last edited by oyajicool; 04-18-2012, 09:22 PM.
                            A&P-IA

Comment

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CAN...YY7?Pid=search

Above is something I had in my head. Bring positive cable from relocated battery into one hole. Bring original battery cable into another hole. Both cables should have terminal ends of proper size for the wire gage installed. see below.

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...-2-661858.aspx

Tie the cables with bolt and nut in the middle of the junction box (hub), which should be mounted onto chassis. Keep the lid closed till you need to do "jump" or whatever.

You can have a fuse block connected to the hub through another hole and install MSD. See below.

http://www.wiringproducts.com/conten...FQmynQodRjWJxg

Links are just to show pics as examples.
                              Nice. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X