Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

I need help with my headlights!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with my headlights!

Hello everyone... I own a 1992 Accord EX. I picked it up for $300 with 375,000KMs... I sold my 87' IROC last week. This only has to last me the winter. Anywho, there's nothing too major wrong except the headlights... as soon as you put a 20fuse into the left headlight and turn the light knob 2 times, it blows. The headlights/highbeams don't come on at all either way. That's where I'm at. Is it more likely for the short to be at one of the ends rather then in the middle of the wires? I have no clue where to start and I know it would be costly to get it done at a shop. Could I rewire it easily? Thanks!

You need to find where that short is. Could be a dumbass rat chewed it somewhere , and been touching bare metal.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Alright.... but since it only blows when the highbeams are turned on is there a chance of the lowbeams still working working or would the short in the highbeams disable them? I'm pretty sure the bulbs I took out were bad.

Here's some pictures of what I'm working with...

On the right side (passenger side) there's the obvious highbeam light and then a broken plug that barely reaches where its at now(worrys me). Is that the lowbeam plug?

and the left side I have 3 plugs... the obvious highbeams (which runs infront of the rad and around the battery) and then 2 more. What is the white plug for?

Last edited by yamban; 10-07-2010, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yamban View Post
        Alright.... but since it only blows when the highbeams are turned on is there a chance of the lowbeams still working working or would the short in the highbeams disable them? I'm pretty sure the bulbs I took out were bad.

Here's some pictures of what I'm working with...

On the right side (passenger side) there's the obvious highbeam light and then a broken plug that barely reaches where its at now(worrys me). Is that the lowbeam plug?

and the left side I have 3 plugs... the obvious highbeams (which runs infront of the rad and around the battery) and then 2 more. What is the white plug for?

wtf is going on here, white is low, blue is high, why do you have two?
        wat?

Comment

That's where I'm confused... I think someone may have tampered with the electrical during a previous time..

Comment

You've only spent $300. Spend $15 more and get a manual with a wiring chart (there are some online) and trace the wires to find your short. It'll be worth your money.
            90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

I found out whats happened... somewhere in the left wiring there's a short. Seems like the people before me couldn't find it either and purchased another headlight connector, wiring it into the right headlight wires and ran it across the rad. After I repaired the shawty connecting they did and replaced the bulbs. They both work on the right 20 AMP fuse.. is this ok for the time being or are they not going to be as bright?

Comment

I found out whats happened... somewhere in the left wiring there's a short. Seems like the people before me couldn't find it either and purchased another headlight connector, wiring it into the right headlight wires and ran it across the rad. After I repaired the shawty connecting they did and replaced the bulbs. They both work on the right 20 AMP fuse.. is this ok for the time being or are they not going to be as bright?
                Assuming the headlamps pull less than 20 amps (and I doubt they pull more than 5) they will be just as bright running off that right circuit as they would be off the left. But that circuit will have 2x the amperage running through it than it normally would. As long as that is below the threshold for the fuse it should be ok though. Depending on the gauge of the wires there might be more heat generated in the wire because of increased amperage but I'm pretty sure (although I'm not an electrician by any stretch of the imagination) that would be minimal and no cause for concern.

Comment

You still have to find and remove that short. Cut the headlight wire in half (half the distance to the light itself) and test each side of the wire for continuity with one test lead on the car chassis and one on the wire section you are testing. If you get continuity then the short is in that half. Replace the wire section that is shorted. Or just replace the whole wire.

At the minimum, cut and cap the left circuit near the console light switch to prevent power from going through it and shorting in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X