Tachometer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer question

I’m trying to get this bb6 cluster wired up but I cannot get the tachometer to work. It is wired correctly with a good connection. I’ve even swapped the bb6 tach out with another I got from a second bb6 cluster at pap. Neither works.
    When I plug in my CB cluster the tachometer works fine. I may not be understanding how the tach signal works. When I took a simple wire tester to the blue tach wire I get no light. When my CB cluster is plugged in and the tach is of course working, then I put the tester to it the tach goes dead. Like I’m grounding it. All diy instructions I’ve seen on this just say to connect the blue on harness B of the bb6 cluster to the blue of harness A on the CB plug.
    Can anyone help me with some info on what might be wrong or what I’m doing wrong lol
    5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

I don't have one, but always wanted one....

Sooo you are following this?
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=107844

Comment

Yes I have read all of them. I’ve got the wires hooked up right. In fact now that I’m thinking on it more. None of my gauges have worked. All the lighting and different functions like e-brake, signals srs abs etc. they all work. Just no gauges. There’s a little square computer thingy inside the cluster that controls certain things. I just don’t know if it controls the gauges or what. I’m going to check it out after some coffee.

~Mark~

Comment

Never mind about the little square computer thingy. I don’t think manuals have one. It’s not there at least. I pulled the cluster from a mostly complete car. Looked like the cluster had never been removed either.

~Mark~

Comment

Well shit. The prelude pig tail harness I cut from the same car I got the cluster from fights me. I cut another pig tail from a prelude recently and it works. Tach works etc. Go figure. I’m getting this damn thing in today!

~Mark~

Comment

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
            Well shit. The prelude pig tail harness I cut from the same car I got the cluster from fights me. I cut another pig tail from a prelude recently and it works. Tach works etc. Go figure. I’m getting this damn thing in today!
            So bad pig tail? ohhhhh you were using the same pig tail on both prelude clusters?

Comment

I had a second pig tail I cut from another car. And it works. I got everything hooked up. My dome light and map lights do not work though. Idk why yet. It’s one friggin wire blk/wht.
              Now I have an even worse problem though. The car won’t start. Earlier I had both my CB cluster unplugged and the bb6 cluster unplugged from the car and it started fine. So I’m pretty sure the cluster shit has nothing to do with it. All my fuses are fine. The fuel pump I can hear priming with key on. I can do the screwdriver trick on the starter but only the starter works. The car won’t fire up. Idk wtf I did

~Mark~

Comment

Never mind about the starting. I forgot you gotta have key on when doing the screwdriver trick on the starter lol. The car started but I got nothing when pushing in the clutch to start it. I hate that clutch switch. I might have to make a jumper and bypass that stupid thing if it’s shot.

~Mark~

Comment

It might just be the pedal bushing. I put a smaller bolt & nut in when mine fall out.

Comment

I have a feeling the car is not starting because of the cluster wiring. I’m going to go through the wiring tomorrow after work. See if it starts with everything unwired. If so I’ll start permanently wiring everything in until I find wich wire keeps it from starting. If it doesn’t start with everything Unwired then I’ll move to the switch at the clutch.
                    One thing I can’t get figured out is the dome light. It seems like it would be the easiest part of the wiring! Actually the door light on the cluster will not come on nor the dome light even when I wire up all the door wires and the dome light wire together. The dome light for CB’s is supposedly triggered from the cluster so... I’m scratching my head on it at this point.
                    Everything but the door light and dome light situation works. If I get the car starting and it’s just one of the cluster wires causing it. I might button up all of the main cluster stuff that works and put the dash back together. Then I can drive the car. I’ll mess with the rest of it on the next weekend.

~Mark~

Comment

Well I’ve got myself a doozie going now. I got home and labeled then undid the bb6 pigtail.
                      Car still will not start. I jumpered the yellow plug to bypass the clutch. Still no start. I can hit the key on and go screwdriver it under the hood and it’ll start right up. I might have to wire back up the stock cluster pigtails and plug the CB cluster back in then see if it starts.
                      Anybody got any ideas? Lol

~Mark~

Comment

I am not sure why the BB6 is causing the no start condition, but the Dome Light issue might be able to be resolved.

This note in Lucifer's DIY thread fixed my non-working Dome Light when I was redoing this swap.

Dome light:A terminal also needs to be added for the dome light output. This is wired to the car's blk/wht dome light wire. This changes color from Accord's blk/wht to added Prelude terminal pin 13.

It sounds like you are working with the BLK/WHT but did you wire it to Terminal 13?
                        http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Yes I added the pin and wired it straight to the blk/wht wire. Nothing. To be sure, it is pin 13 on the B plug right? I don’t see how it could be any other. I’ve tried every combination of the bb6 door wires connected to all 4 cb door wires with and without the dome wire and nothing works.
                          SSMaccord, what year is your car? Also there is a pin 13 on the Accords B harness. Red/blue it goes to fuse #9. What bb6 wire goes to it?

~Mark~

Comment

Ok so I got the dome light working now. I wired up the basic functions then tested the pin 13 I added to the dome wire on the CB harness and the map and dome light came on. So when I wire everything up nice and clean this weekend I’ll do the dome light and doors first. That way if I mis wire anything I’ll know since it might turn lights off. I’m pretty sure it was a wrong wire somewhere else.

~Mark~

Comment

Good job. I was just replying that the BLK/WHT on my Accord B plug is spliced into Terminals #14 and 15 on the Prelude Plug B.

I have a 92 sedan, but I originally used this setup on a 91 that I had. Some of the wires had to changed when I transferred it, but I dont think the Dome Light/Door Triggers were among the changes.
                              http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Working...
                              X