ENG: Properly modified H22a head for F22 block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Properly modified H22a head for F22 block

Not sure where the best spot to post this, since its my new turbo head after all. So Mods please feel free to delete.

Wanted to share some pics of my properly modified H22a head for those that are interested to see what it takes and how it looks when done. Its modified to allow proper oil passage, and block others for perfect fitment when mated to the ol' F22 block. The 2 oil drain passages have been deleted/plugged using an aluminum rod pressed in and weld shut. The other 6 ports have been misshapen with aluminum weld for proper F22 block alignment, followed by a complete head resurfacing. It avoids using Honda Bond on your head gasket and prevents leak issues. It also corrects the confusion on what head gasket to use.
    Note: This is not a build thread. These pics are for future reference, those attempting to take the right direction in such a hybrid build and to clear up confusion ONLY. Hope these pics can be a help to anyone. I'm sure there's other ways about doing this. This is just one, this is mine

First off, the stock H22 ports

Stock H22 head with H22 Head Gasket (Perfect fit)

Stock H22 head with F22a Head Gasket (Not so Perfect)

Now, for the not so perfect fitment. This is (one) of the reasons why these builds fail. There isn't any surface for a good HG seal, causing serious oil leak issues. There is a total of 8 oil ports, The 2 closes to the timing side need to be completely shut. Leaving the 6 others with this issue.

Looking straight from the top, the HG covers it about 1/8 of an inch. That's only the HG material, not the "sealing" portion of it.

Modified H22a Cylinder Head

Oil port welded shut

Before welded

Modified H22a head, with OEM H22a head gasket.

Since my block is JDM F22B and bored to 86mm. I can use any custom F22a head gasket, in this case a F22a BISI 86mm MLS head gasket.

Since this gasket has been used, its warped and looks like it doesn't seal but it does very well.

Before the modifications with F22a HG

Same goes for this one, its close even then. But still has great coverage for 100% seal

Side by Side Comparison
    H22a Head Gasket

F22a Head Gasket

Before mods with F22a HG
    Last edited by NWaccord; 01-06-2013, 03:34 PM. Reason: I think I found the best place for this....

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
    MRT F22B - 643whp - 529tq @ 30psi
    11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

so is it just bolt on from there?
    visit vgruk

Comment

As far as the head bolted to the bock, yes. Its just to show a solution to the oil passages not aligning up and the other 2 that don't even exist, causing the oil leaks. There still other things you will run into as with all custom builds, these hybrids are no exception.
      Last edited by NWaccord; 12-27-2012, 03:17 AM.

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
      11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

What is achieved by reshaping the ports? Will restricting oil flow back alleviate the problem of oil starvation in the DOHC head?

Comment

Care to comment on total $$$ invested to get it to this point?

And if not, could you comment on dollar for dollar going this route vs sleeving h22 block?

nice work man
          Originally posted by wed3k
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Though I would never call this method cost-effective vs. doing a build based around an H head and block, I can see where it works for you. You've got a lot of money invested into a shortblock already and now you want to add VTEC to that. I say this because I'm assuming this is going on the white coupe that already has a DOHC F20A/F22B head.

I still have the same questions as Bill, though. Why not try to replicate the oil drains on the head using the F22A gasket as a template? Also, how much was machined off of the head?
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

are you going to drill the rivets out that interfere?

i had to do that when using a 99 mustang v6 mls on a 90 t-bird v6 motor.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                What is achieved by reshaping the ports? Will restricting oil flow back alleviate the problem of oil starvation in the DOHC head?
                There isn't any oil being restricted by plugging the 2, there actually drain ports. So there's gonna be more oil in theory.
                I should of took pics of the stock H22 head with F22a head gasket on top. But pretty much, the 6 other oil ports on the stock H22 head don't seal completely from one side when using the F22a headgasket. It's really close to sealing, some say use lil Honda Bond, but it will eventually still leak.....(This is all vise versa when using the H22 headgasket, that just causes the block side to not line up and the risk of leakage. Its either modify the block ports or the head ports)
                All we did was add aluminum weld, followed by a resurface. To create a new contact surface for complete seal.

Here's a pic that shows what Im talking about. The left side clearly does not seal. Pic not mine btw.

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                Care to comment on total $$$ invested to get it to this point?

And if not, could you comment on dollar for dollar going this route vs sleeving h22 block? nice work man

Sure, its actually not as much as people would think......Total spent on the modifications was 225$ (without including the resurface, hot tank clean, ect.) Those are things you would have to do either way, regardless of the block. A good sleeve job is gonna run you 1000$ That's bout a 800$ difference right there. For the power I want, stock sleeves are more than enough. Not to mention the awesome 95mm stroke

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
                11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

I understand the sealed ports, my question was about the re-shaped ones. I understand the weld on the side that needs a gasket sealing surface, but it also looks like some of the welds are done in plain open areas. There is more oil in theory because you are restricting drain ports and plugging others.

For example the port in the photo below looks to only allow about 1/4 of what it did prior to welding, why was so much extra beyond the gasket sealing surface blocked off?

Thank you for your time answering my questions. Also that is not a bad price at all. Looks like you got an excelent price on the welding and machine work. That's awesome you live close enough to KS for them to do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                    Though I would never call this method cost-effective vs. doing a build based around an H head and block, I can see where it works for you. You've got a lot of money invested into a shortblock already and now you want to add VTEC to that. I say this because I'm assuming this is going on the white coupe that already has a DOHC F20A/F22B head.

I still have the same questions as Bill, though. Why not try to replicate the oil drains on the head using the F22A gasket as a template? Also, how much was machined off of the head?
                    This head is actually going into my new short block for the SE. Its the exact same setup as the LX block. I have lil more details in the MRT.
                    What do you mean replicate the oil drains? You mean the 2 deleted ones? Or are you talking bout the visual look on the 6 others? All It is, is tapering to get the shape of the F22a if you really wanted too. The actual drain ports are round either way.

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    are you going to drill the rivets out that interfere?

i had to do that when using a 99 mustang v6 mls on a 90 t-bird v6 motor.
                    Not sure, Haven't looked into it. Its no big deal either way if I had to
                    Last edited by NWaccord; 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM.

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
                    11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                      I understand the sealed ports, my question was about the re-shaped ones. I understand the weld on the side that needs a gasket sealing surface, but it also looks like some of the welds are done in plain open areas. There is more oil in theory because you are restricting drain ports and plugging others.
                      Its not how it looks, the ports are not that small all the way up. If you look at a stock H22 head, the ports are tapered. So pretty much the tapered portion of the ports are filled, And I'm sure a bit more. But its not to panic, thinking your restricting oil that bad. If it was a concern; Reid, KS, The Machine Shop, and myself would of caught it.

This pic shows what I'm talking about. We could of welded that portion shut too and it wouldn't of made a difference.

Last edited by NWaccord; 01-06-2013, 03:37 PM.

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
                      11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, if it was mine (but it's not), I would go nuts looking at it and have to take a dremel to it to remove material. Granted it doesn't restrict it to the point that it is a problem, but extra oil in the head may not be a bad deal seeing as how some people run into oil starvation on hybrid builds sometimes so really it may even be a plus. Did you do anything to the F22 oil orifice on these builds?

Comment

Trust me I freaked out too when I seen it. Might not be the prettiest job. But upon further inspection, its liget. Also wouldn't grinding/heating the matter weaken it? The orifice has to be removed off the F22 block, since the H22 head has it on there.

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
                          11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

No, grinding with a dremel (especially if you did it in pecks and small amounts) wouldn't create any more heat than when they resurfaced it. You just have to be careful of leaving meat for the gasket sealing surface. Again thank you for your answers, I have learned something new today.
                            Last edited by wildBill83; 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

No problem man

MRT H22A - 302whp - N2O
                              11.33 @ 131mph @ 27psi

Comment

Working...
                              X