Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H/F hybrid tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H/F hybrid tranny?

I see where some have taken the F fifth gear and out it into an H tranny, but has anyone went further? I'd like to build one with 1st and 2nd being fairly short with 3rd and up progressively longer. What about swapping a lower ratio diff onto the F22 tranny?

I'm just wondering if gears 1 through 4 are swappable. If anyone has built their own, I'd like to hear what your setup is.

Again I'm just wondering... looking at the options. If I go all motor I think building a tranny would be the best option, if turbo then I'm thinking a stock F22 tranny would be fine.

I can't seem to find much info on the transmission internals..

I have actually never seen the H/F hybrid of any kind. I've only heard speculation by those that know cars, and assumptions by those that wouldn't know the inside of a transmission from a bowl of ramen.

Honestly, your best bet is to get a custom gearset. However, you're going to need to carefully plan out your engine's powerband to take full advantage of the gearing. That takes quite a bit of knowhow.

Comment

thats why i have 4-f22 5th gears so people can swap them into their h22 trans but no one never bought any.
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I was told years ago that it wouldn't fit (fizzy said so.) Of course, I personally wouldn't know what to do with the insides of a transmission (I'm one of those ramen people...) so I couldn't say one way or another.

Comment

The gears are interchangeable, if you can find the right set of gears you can a killer tranny for circut racing if thats what you plan to do.

Try and find the shortest h22 gears(1,2,3 possibly) H23 4th and f22 5th if you're non vtec. Also try to find a smaller ratio FD for acceleration.
          NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
          DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

odd because i just did research right now and a lot of the h22 people have been swapping the f22 5th gear over with no problems.
            I <3 G60.

Comment

I only know what I've seen on here (which is why I've only referenced what I've seen myself... not stating that it can't be done.)

Comment

you know there are other public forums out there?
                I <3 G60.

Comment

There's a couple of threads over on Honda tech about this, but I still haven't seen much info. There's some talk on putting the F 5th into an H as well as some stuff on swapping final drives between the two. The general chatter seems to lean towards all the gears being swappable.

I'd really like to get my hands on each transmission!

I've done custom gearing with Toyota truck transmissions (had a carbed 4 banger Jeep Cherokee that I built... 260 ft/lbs to the rear wheels! It was fun, right up until the flywheel broke!) But you can get just about anything for those Yota trannies.

The way the F22 seems to be built is with a bias towards low/mid range power... it's not a revvy engine at all. I'd like to chase that down and see how much torque it can deliver. With the right gearing it could be pretty fast without hitting any high RPMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkcloud View Post
                    The gears are interchangeable, if you can find the right set of gears you can a killer tranny for circut racing if thats what you plan to do.

Try and find the shortest h22 gears(1,2,3 possibly) H23 4th and f22 5th if you're non vtec. Also try to find a smaller ratio FD for acceleration.
                    Actually I'd go the other way with the final drive. I'd like to have a really deep first gear, somewhere around 4.4, and a taller FD... but I want 4th to sit right at 1.0 with 5th around a 0.75. But I doubt the ratios I want can be had, so it would take some fudging around to get the overall gearing where I THINK I'd like it... depends on how the engine behaves.

Circuit racing? Eh, well, something like that! Look up Deal's Gap, Highway 129... I never go there and would never even think of cutting loose on a road like it, despite the fact that there are much better, less known roads around here....

Comment

I can state with certainty that the final drives are swappable (I have an F trans with an H FD), but I don't know about the gears themselves. I've been told it wasn't possible, but I don't remember where that came from. You can call up GearSpeed in SoCal and I'm sure they would be able to tell you one way or the other.

Sounds like a good plan though! Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
                      Originally posted by Junior Smurff
                      Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

I just sent GearSpeed an E-mail. I guess they are just going into work, so it might be a while if/when they reply.

Comment

I'm glad this discussion was brought up. I have been wanting to put a 5.15 Final Drive in an F22 tranny. The H22 tranny is good, but it's quick through gears.. I would want longer gears matted to that quick final drive; and that F22 foots the bill. On teammfactory website, the 5.15 FD gear increases the ETE (engine torque estimate) by 21% to 191lbft. That's beast on a stock engine. I say throw in some cams and headwork, tune, port the intake manifold, balance shaft removal kit, lightweight crank pulley, clutch/flywheel matted to an F22 tranny with 5.15FD in an EF hatch.....um can you say peace out K-series? To me this would be faster, cheaper and less of a headache than doing an H2b setup. You can buy one motor mount kit, instead of piecing it together. Also, custom axel's for H22's to me are much more durable to handle more torque and power than running b-series axels. Especially if your putting down 220+whp.

The final drive would be so awesome and it would accelerate like a bike. Yeah, your top speed might be 130mph(H22 tranny), but that's plenty fast around town. I say with the F22 tranny with 5.15FD, you could have a top speed of maybe 135-140mph. Maybe more. I have not found much information on here, honta-tech or other websites that do much with a hybrid F-series tranny's.
                          Last edited by J-Tiki; 12-23-2010, 04:01 PM.
                          '92 CB7 H22a M2B4

Comment

I remember there is a company who is a site sponser on onecamonly.com that does gearsets and has a gearset calculator on their website but due to being at work and having big brother block me from almost everything on the internet I can't get to OCO or find out what the company was... Oh and they do almost all Honda trannys including F/H.
                            Call me Travis.
                            2006 Cobalt LS/SC ~ "Burt the Bloody Bumble Bee"
                            1992 Accord LX ~ "Smoothie"
                            1991 CRX Si ~ Hellion
                            1989 GMC S15 ~ Oldie

Comment

Working...
                            X