Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uber (Taxi Alternative)

Anyone else ever used it?

I've been using Uber for about a year now in various cities across the US. To include DC, Charlotte, Dallas, Fort Worth.

But anyways, for those who don't know, Uber is like a taxi, except you hail the cab from your phone via an app, and all transactions are through the app and the credit card you have input to it. No need to tip your driver, just get in and tell them where you are going. When they started it was only Black Cars, meaning limo type service in black Lincoln Town Cars or Suburbans, one time I rode to DCA in a black BMW 540.

Anyways, now most cities have the option for taxis in addition to black cars, which are cheaper. Even cheaper than that is uberX which is basically where Joe Blow uses his personal car to operate the service (Typically I have ridden in newer Honda Civics and similar using this, but one time I was picked up in a 1999 Suburban). I rode to DCA from the US Capitol for only $14 at 4 am!

But the main reason I am posting is because right now they are offering $20 free to new users, so basically your first ride is free. Available in most major cities now. Check the link for full listing. LINK FOR $20 (uber credit) HERE

I'll keep the discussion open as well with some stories from my more interesting rides with Uber.

Damn, I just realized how many times I have used this. Wow.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Nobody ever replied to this...
    Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

You never posted interesting rides so everyone lost interest
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
        You never posted interesting rides so everyone lost interest
        Got ‘em!

One time last year this lady was playing an old Justin Timberlake live DVD on screens that hung from the headrests. They were super bright and it was dark outside and every time she hit a pothole the DVD skipped. She clearly did this a lot because she sung along with every song.
        Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

I have a friend that did Uber and Lyft. He signed up with his Focus, but then only accepted single passengers so he could drive them in his Wrangler or Mustang. One guy refused to sit in the front, then complained that the rear seats in the Mustang were too small. Friend got a slap on the wrist from Lyft for that one.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

The only time I've used Uber was drunkin nights while on a mission. Off topic Gary how is life? Still got the free truck?

Plug alert* If you have AMEX platinum and upload the card into your account, uber gives you $15 a month and $20 for Christmas and New Years or December and January.

Also if serving you get AMEX platinum yearly fee waived.
            Last edited by Grumpys93; 11-08-2018, 12:41 AM.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

The only time I've used Uber was drunkin nights while on a mission. Off topic Gary how is life? Still got the free truck?

Plug alert* If you have AMEX platinum and upload the card into your account, uber gives you $15 a month and $20 for Christmas and New Years or December and January.

Also if serving you get AMEX platinum yearly fee waived.
              Nope, don’t have the truck anymore, sold it and bought a 2005 4 Runner

Life is good. AMC is a grind for sure, but I’ve been pretty much everywhere now to include going all the way around the world eastbound earlier this year. I’m a C-17 aircraft commander now and flying this plane is a blast!

And yeah I’ve been on the Amex platinum train since 2013.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

I never got to fly on a C-17 but I heard they are fancy! I use to be a flight engineer on c-130T and loved it. Plane was slow as molasses but we went everywhere. I am now in flight school as I got selected to become an officer back in January. I’m hoping to get F-18s but the navy deemed me to old to be a pilot so I will be an NFO( still excited to be an officer so I’m not upset). I was also lucky enough to do around the world trips eastbound as well. What where your stops?

Did you get a Magellan certificate?

Congrats on being an Aircraft Commander. Nothing feels better then signing for the plane. Where do you fly out of?
                ~Nick~

Comment

I was an Uber driver from July 2016 to July 2017. It was quite an adventure, but it put alot of miles on my pilot. The wear and tear on your own car almost makes it not worth it, but you certainly come out ahead of minimum wage take home pay if you have 8 seats and get Uber XL requests in addition to Uber X requests. It's a lot of fun if you are an extrovert, but you have to make sure you have a plan for people who need to vomit as part of their natural alcohol poisoning purges at 2am.
                  *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                  ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                  ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                  "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                  Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                  The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                  Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I never got to fly on a C-17 but I heard they are fancy! I use to be a flight engineer on c-130T and loved it. Plane was slow as molasses but we went everywhere. I am now in flight school as I got selected to become an officer back in January. I’m hoping to get F-18s but the navy deemed me to old to be a pilot so I will be an NFO( still excited to be an officer so I’m not upset). I was also lucky enough to do around the world trips eastbound as well. What where your stops?

Did you get a Magellan certificate?

Congrats on being an Aircraft Commander. Nothing feels better then signing for the plane. Where do you fly out of?
                    That’s neat, last mission I did was a Marine fighter deployment swap out. Those F-18 guys really enjoyed their time on the C-17 and weren’t happy about having to stop for customs in NH until the FBO people brought 15 pizzas to our jet.

When I went round the world the entire itinerary was KWRI-KOFF-ETAR-OKBK-FJDG-RODN-RJTY-KSUU-KWRI

The only overnights were in ETAR, FJDG, and RJTY. 4 flight duty periods and we went all the way around.
                    And I didn’t get no damn certificate
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Working...
                    X