Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Other Automotive

Old 04-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #21
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22Chris View Post
Maybe look into an alarm with a starter kill? The Viper 3105v is an easier one to install. Geek Squad will put it in there for like $300 including parts.
I meant to say that Vette heads out of the L98 TPI motor as well as Vortec Heads are a nice upgrade to ANY 350, the aluminum TPI heads will raise your compression while the Vortec will improve airflow. It's probably a bit more than what you want to do but years ago guys were selling modified LT1 intakes to fit into SBC and with its design them 350 were putting an ass kicking on even the stealth ram system from Holley.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #22
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
Cable, I thought about 4.10s then I'd have to do the front did as well 3.73s are fine with me. My tune only ran me $250+75 for the nitrous street tune.
Around here tuning is higher than that, seems everybody wants to sell the hand held type tuner instead of actually doing in house tunes.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

SOHC-FTW seems to have made some friends!
I hear you there I got a lot more for about the same price as a hand held "tuner". Now had my setup been crazy im sure I would have had to pay more and spend a lot more time down there, but we spent more time talking I do believe haha then he talked about tuning which was all Greek to me. I drove the truck 2.5hrs to him he had some good info, nice projects and customer setups to bad your not near NC.

Wish my legend was so simple and tuneable the only option is $400 for a tuneable ecu or a stand alone which is even more.

02 Crv
02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.
SOHC-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:08 PM   #24
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
I hear you there I got a lot more for about the same price as a hand held "tuner". Now had my setup been crazy im sure I would have had to pay more and spend a lot more time down there, but we spent more time talking I do believe haha then he talked about tuning which was all Greek to me. I drove the truck 2.5hrs to him he had some good info, nice projects and customer setups to bad your not near NC.

Wish my legend was so simple and tuneable the only option is $400 for a tuneable ecu or a stand alone which is even more.
There is a guy that I know personally down here name Will, not gonna talk of his shop name because I don't want to get into trouble for sponsoring non members shops but he is a super down to earth guy who builds cars for actual competition. This man actually competes in Pikes Peak Hill Climb and his best was number 11 I think some years back, he is a customer of mine and as cool as he is I haven't taken him my truck because I feel it's not worth his time when he has skylines and NSX's that he works on at that place. My brother keeps telling me about a couple places but at this point without any modifications I feel it would be a waste of time and money to tune. My brother just left my house and for some god known reason he keeps referring to my wheels as 18's eventhough I showed him the tire size.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #25
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member

F22Chris is very helpful F22Chris is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
I meant to say that Vette heads out of the L98 TPI motor as well as Vortec Heads are a nice upgrade to ANY 350, the aluminum TPI heads will raise your compression while the Vortec will improve airflow. It's probably a bit more than what you want to do but years ago guys were selling modified LT1 intakes to fit into SBC and with its design them 350 were putting an ass kicking on even the stealth ram system from Holley.
If they make a performer intake thatíll fit Iíll definitely look into it. What do you mean by cutting grade? Like high nickel gears?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:31 PM   #26
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22Chris View Post
If they make a performer intake thatíll fit Iíll definitely look into it. What do you mean by cutting grade? Like high nickel gears?
That was my auto correct acting a fool on me at 4am, on the chevy groups there were aluminum headed, 383 motors with fuel injected units making well into the 500 mark. SBC rotating assemblies can be had cheap if you know where to look, as i remember you could get 383 stroker kits for under $600 and aluminum corvette heads can be found for under $200 if you look. The tuning of such engine would be the issue but if you can find a way to make it work it can be done for cheaper than a proper LS swap.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:13 AM   #27
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Just ordered:
2 upper BJ
2 lower BJ
Coil pring set
2010 Police rotor set
2010 Police grade pads

Along with the Prothane bushing kit that i have i will have a brand new fron suspension pretty soon and upgraded braje system to stop the added weight of the Dubs.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #28
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

So first batch of parts arrived today, first reaction is "Holy Sh*t these rotors are heavy and massive". Rotors come in at 12.992 inches and have to be about 20 pounds each, the real focus should be in how the rotors used for law enforcement vehicles utilize cooling vents on the top hat not on the face of the rotor like the usual "drilled" kind.

IMG_20180419_214208 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr

IMG_20180419_214225 by Jesse Gonzalez, on Flickr
Old 07-21-2018, 08:13 PM   #29
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

How's the truck coming along?

Did a few more things to mine and all started with a bad alternator. Btr 224/230 cam, valve springs, lifters, cleaned up the castings on the heads, I/H/E, vette servo and rod, 3200 yank stall, trans cooler. Doing a email tune with Atomic F&P hoping it'll run a tad better here soon. Probably add a dry shot before the maf here after I get a feel for the new setup.

02 Crv
02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #30
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Jesķs Christ! You have been busy 😀, i havent installed anything other than a new A/C compressor because it was getting too damn hot and Mrs Crankshaft kept bugging about it. I did buy a brand new set of 3.73 gears off a guy on Offerup for $50 Tuesday, then on the way home my water pump decided to commit suicide so I had to do emergency surgery to get it on the road the next morning; I'm a very poor lapse of judgement during the coolant burping process I for some reason decided to open the reservoir 😩 and got hot coolant puked all over me, thank god the temperature wasn't too high if not it would have peeled me like a pig. Right now I am putting aside me wanting a cam since Mrs Crankshaft wants a new(to her) car and we are still trying to decide on what she will get; choices are between Tahoe, and Charger or Challenger on RT trim as I believe American vehicles are only worth it with V8 on them. I will be buying a fan clutch though to replace the old one since pump and clutch tend to go out at the same time, pump and thermostat were done together.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #31
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Just out of curiosity why didn't you go with Black Bear? Seems to be the norm on mail tunes for our trucks.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #32
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

Can't beat $50 if mine was 4x4 I'd went atleast 4.11s. Done HD alternator and water pump in mine aswell what started all this I did timing chain an oil pump aswell.

I wouldn't trust black bear for anything other than a bolt on mail order unless using interface. Main reason is customer service isn't even close to atomics Richards a very knowledgeable down to earth kind of 1 on 1 person a lot of folks have been tuned by him over on performancetrucks.net. Trust me I've been in contact with a lot for email tune with interface (Basically street tune done through emails and logging) and without and black bear would be on the bottom of the list of all I talked with. Avid speed, Frost, Nelson and pcm of nc come in mind way before BB just my opinion some share it. I went with who I felt most comfortable with.

02 Crv

Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 07-22-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #33
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Can't beat $50 if mine was 4x4 I'd went atleast 4.11s. Done HD alternator and water pump in mine aswell what started all this I did timing chain an oil pump aswell.

I wouldn't trust black bear for anything other than a bolt on mail order unless using interface. Main reason is customer service isn't even close to atomics Richards a very knowledgeable down to earth kind of 1 on 1 person a lot of folks have been tuned by him over on performancetrucks.net. Trust me I've been in contact with a lot for email tune with interface (Basically street tune done through emails and logging) and without and black bear would be on the bottom of the list of all I talked with. Avid speed, Frost, Nelson and pcm of nc come in mind way before BB just my opinion some share it. I went with who I felt most comfortable with.
I really wanted 4.10 not gonna lie but I kept thinking about the actual use I have for the truck, not having anything to tow on a regular basis coupled with the price I got these gears for I simply jumped at the opportunity since I'm only 2wd. What you note is a very good reason for your choice, I don't know any of them aside from seeing them mentioned on sites but customer service is where you get a feel for the quality of work the company does. Now that you mentioned the alternator I also changed mine because the light kept coming on and went with a 130 and which as you know requires a belt change as well due to length difference.The BTR Cam you mentioned is it the NSR or No Springs Required?
Old 07-22-2018, 09:38 PM   #34
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

Yep gotta run the longer belt also changed the idler while I was at it did a lot of maintenance while I was in it. Yes I went with the nsr on 1.8 rockers it's actually a cam dynamics grind says it right on cam card, I already had the springs done from the last OE cam swap. Cam 100% needs a stall on the larger heavier truck with the 4.8/5.3. I drove the truck 1-1500k before a stall on my old rich tune and it was a dog. I've driven it maybe 20 miles since the stall (still adding things like the shorties, egr block offs and tune up jazz) and it wouldn't hook to save its own life. Blake at avid said he usually seen 40-50whp gain after nsr cam once tuned the curve feels even better than that is what he stated. I plan to turn 6300 1-2 shifts and a tad lower on 3-4 it Should make for a fun heavy pig. After I run it for awhile making sure everything is up to par after tune I'll add a bit of nitrous to it to get it moving a bit more and save for a built trans or 80le swap.

This is atomic's personal truck back when it was running a turbo setup.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=daS6wD_hYyw

02 Crv

Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 07-22-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #35
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Even on BTR website it states the cam as a cam motion grind, what I find interesting is that they claim 66hp increase; I guess 66 at the flywheel Vs what you were told. I have seen lq4 blocks in the area for $300 and 5.3 cores for under 100, usual faults of these engines are; bad oil pump, oil consumption or cam/head issues. I figure if I get lucky I could throw in a low buck rebuild with the slight torque difference and a cam it would literally be a new truck.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #36
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

Cam dynamics not cam motion, if I could post pictures I'd post cam card.

02 Crv
Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #37
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

And yeah most of their cam test are done on a engine dyno. Avid is a separate shop that just does a lot of said cam installs and tune no relation between the companies as far as I know. Craig from Btr sent me his way and we chatted for awhile. He was real excited about the curve once it's tuned we shall see.

6.0 ain't a bad idea I like the lm7 myself response to mods pretty well aslong as it stays alive I'll be keeping the 5.3.

02 Crv

Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 07-22-2018 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #38
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Cam dynamics not cam motion, if I could post pictures I'd post cam card.
You are absolutely right, brain fart there lol Everyone around here talks about the TSP stuff but it's so damn expensive. Here in Houston there is a massive truck community and tunners as well but I might be going the same route as you depending on your results of course ��.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:22 AM   #39
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

Just remember its better than any of the factory lsx cams. But I'll holler tell ya what I honestly think about it hopefully by the end of the week.

02 Crv
Old 07-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #40
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

Also there's elgin camshaft's and they run in the mid $250 range. I've heard of them used on flat tappet fellas back when I was younger but they make a few options for the LS platform aswell. Maybe worth looking into for a bump in power for your truck.

02 Crv

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: