Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can they really do this if it isn't in the leasing clause??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can they really do this if it isn't in the leasing clause??

So yesterday I called my leasing office since I wasn't going to be home before they closed. Asked how much it was going to cost to cancel my lease. They told me there was no way to get out of the lease. Then they pursued telling me if I were to leave, if there was any type of promotion (ie: waived application fees, etc) when I signed my lease, I would have to pay those AND still be liable for the remaining months of the lease.

Now, I asked WHY the fuck would I want to cancel my lease just to have to pay the remainder of it?? I asked them WHY would anyone want to leave and still pay? Why not just stay if they had to pay?? I told them they cannot do that shit because it is NOT in the paperwork of the lease I signed.

Is there anything I can do or am I absolutely FUCKED and stuck paying? This is absolutely RIDICULOUS
    VIP Status.

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
    So yesterday I called my leasing office since I wasn't going to be home before they closed. Asked how much it was going to cost to cancel my lease. They told me there was no way to get out of the lease. Then they pursued telling me if I were to leave, if there was any type of promotion (ie: waived application fees, etc) when I signed my lease, I would have to pay those AND still be liable for the remaining months of the lease.

Now, I asked WHY the fuck would I want to cancel my lease just to have to pay the remainder of it?? I asked them WHY would anyone want to leave and still pay? Why not just stay if they had to pay?? I told them they cannot do that shit because it is NOT in the paperwork of the lease I signed.

Is there anything I can do or am I absolutely FUCKED and stuck paying? This is absolutely RIDICULOUS
    I've never read a lease that didn't require you to pay the remainder of the lease if you "cancel" it. That's how they guarantee they'll get their money.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
      I've never read a lease that didn't require you to pay the remainder of the lease if you "cancel" it. That's how they guarantee they'll get their money.
      Yep, that's how it works. Unless you're subletting and not actually on the paperwork.
      My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

Actually most places ive seen, its 2 months rent to break the lease "legally" where it wont go on your credit, or you pay rent till they find someone to move in. Typically also, if there were promotions, you would pay those as well, like if you got 2 months of a free garage, you would have to pay those 2 months of the garage rate.

Best thing for you, find someone that is willing to take over the remaining balance of your lease, get urself written off and him on board. They cant do shit about that usually.

Hola, tengo tres patas. Me llamo tripod.

Originally posted by d112crzy
        So you're throwing a bitch fit because some other girl at school has the same nail polish and skirt as you do?

Comment

Originally posted by bagoon316 View Post
          Actually most places ive seen, its 2 months rent to break the lease "legally" where it wont go on your credit, or you pay rent till they find someone to move in. Typically also, if there were promotions, you would pay those as well, like if you got 2 months of a free garage, you would have to pay those 2 months of the garage rate.

Best thing for you, find someone that is willing to take over the remaining balance of your lease, get urself written off and him on board. They cant do shit about that usually.
          Bagoon is right. I just moved into a townhouse and we pay 650 a month. to break the lease we would have to pay something like 1700 dollars but if the house was in good condition (we didn't damage anything) we would get our security deposit back which was like 1200 dollars in itself.

Basically they want to make sure that they are getting paid for the time it would take to get another person to live in there. They don't want to screw you over, they NEVER want to screw anyone over, but at the same time they have to protect themselves from bad tenants. If your paperwork does not say you have to pay the "remainder" of your lease then don't, go to a meeting with your land lord and get everything in writing, or record the conversation. Do something that will get you everything they say, then go see a lawyer.

It sounds like they have it out for you. But paying the remainder of the lease is crazy. especially if you have something like 4-6 months (or more) left.
          Been a long time. Still alive...

Comment

Everywhere else I have lived, they require something like 2 months rent in order to break the lease. NOT paying through the entire rest of the term!! That is damned ridiculous. They also said that I would forfeit my security deposit if I were to "cancel" and by THEIR definition of cancel is me leaving and still paying for the goddamn place. WHY would anyone do that? If you wanted to leave, you'd leave and not pay the rest of the term. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to go over the lease with a fine tooth comb later because I don't remember reading any such shit about paying this when breaking the lease. What horseshit.
            VIP Status.

Comment

A lease is put in place to guarantee the landlord that the tenant will be paying for the premises for the duration. This is the reason that they give you a lower rent. They know that the premises will be occupied for the length of the lease and they won't have a vacant unit nor will they have to find another tenant. Usually, the tenant benefits from the lease by getting lower rent or something similar. The landlord benefits by having a guaranteed tenant.

If you don't want to pay the remainder of the lease, the only way is to find someone else to move in and take over the lease. DO NOT SUBLET! If you do, you are still legally responsible for the apartment and if the new tenant causes any damages or bails on the lease, you are liable. Find a new tenant and work with the landlord to get them on their own lease.

You should always go over any lease "with a fine tooth comb" or consult an attorney before signing it. Once you sign, you are obligated to abide by the terms of the contract whether you know about them/ understand them or not. THere should be a clause in there somewhere that describes how to break the lease and what it will cost. If you can find something in there that the landlord has not lived up to or provided, you may have a possible out if you can prove that they didn't live up to their end of the bargain. Unusual, but possible.

Good luck!
              Originally posted by Junior Smurff
              Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

I've been renting for awhile and the only way I've seen able to break a lease without being responsible for the full amount is if you bought your own home and that's the only reason you are
                breaking the lease. Any other reasons for breaking and you will have to pay the remainding balance.
                1993 Accord LX - Sold
                93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                  I've been renting for awhile and the only way I've seen able to break a lease without being responsible for the full amount is if you bought your own home and that's the only reason you are
                  breaking the lease. Any other reasons for breaking and you will have to pay the remainding balance.
                  That's odd because our last place we had to pay two months rent to get out. As I said, I'll look over the shit tonight....if not, guess I'm stuck.
                  VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                    Everywhere else I have lived, they require something like 2 months rent in order to break the lease. NOT paying through the entire rest of the term!! That is damned ridiculous. They also said that I would forfeit my security deposit if I were to "cancel" and by THEIR definition of cancel is me leaving and still paying for the goddamn place. WHY would anyone do that? If you wanted to leave, you'd leave and not pay the rest of the term. It just doesn't make sense to me. I'm going to go over the lease with a fine tooth comb later because I don't remember reading any such shit about paying this when breaking the lease. What horseshit.
                    What do you think a lease is... This is common sense to me...

They will have to give you your security deposit back if you pay the complete remainder though.

Comment

Working...
                    X