Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

h22a4 boring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22a4 boring question

i found a local h22a4 base engine for sale in pieces. dude says it burnt #2 piston and it scored the cylinder wall up. now i know this is a frm engine. how much can be bored off the stock frm sleeves before running into issues? i just want to get it running in my coupe. i figured buy it, send block to machine shop, hope they can cut .020 off it and put new pistons/rings etc in it, and reassemble it and ride out. now how far off am i with this idea? keep in mind this is a complete engine for under $200.
    COUPE K24

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
    i found a local h22a4 base engine for sale in pieces. dude says it burnt #2 piston and it scored the cylinder wall up. now i know this is a frm engine. how much can be bored off the stock frm sleeves before running into issues? i just want to get it running in my coupe. i figured buy it, send block to machine shop, hope they can cut .020 off it and put new pistons/rings etc in it, and reassemble it and ride out. now how far off am i with this idea? keep in mind this is a complete engine for under $200.
    Have you seen the cylinder wall? Do you happen to have pics? If it is in fact fixable with an over bore and you can be sure of that when you see it then you would take the block to a machine shop and ask them what it will clean up at. The machinist will ask you to provide the new pistons before they bore the block.

I'm at the machine shop about once a week for small engines. They are not the same by any means but what I'm getting at is you really have to eye for what will clean up and what won't.

You don't want to go any bigger than you have too. I see people with V8s try to gain cubes by over boring all the time and it normally creates overheating issues.

I read on here before that it's best to find someone who specializes machining in Porsche engines for FRM sleeves. I don't remember why but I'm sure someone will chime in. I think it was Deev who said it...

EDIT... Found it. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=200781&page=3

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    The only thing you'd want to keep in mind is the FRM sleeves. Find a machine shop that would be willing to hone those sleeves for you. Not every shop knows how to handle FRM, and a clueless shop could cause more harm than good!
    Originally posted by XCRN View Post
    If you do rebuild someone on here suggested to me with my H23 is to look into shops that specialize in Porche, they should be able to hone the FRM cylinders.
    Last edited by H311RA151N; 07-16-2014, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Comment

^^^ That is awesome.

Comment

Working...
        X