Do you Roku?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    I don't know much about the Roku, as I get most of my tv/movies via Netflix or legal/illegal streaming (I've never been bothered by lower quality video.)

I need to look into it. I don't even know what it does, really. I remember when it first came out, and I also remember thinking it was something I didn't really need. Of course, that was when I spent most of my time alone in front of my computer.
    Check out the target ticket and amazon prime channels specifically. Compare what they offer at $1.99/episode to what you watch and see if they can get it for you.

Its surprising how much is available. Netflix and Hulu are on there too, and they bring a lot of media to the conversation for $17.50/month combined. So, after those, the shit you get for free off the "free channels" via hd signal over the air and what you can buy from Target ticket or Amazon, you basically can get everything cable has to offer without cable.

Best of all, if you decide to pony up $1.99 for an episode, you start a library and own it forever.

Im pretty much positive I am canceling cable next month because of this Roku jobby. It is badass.

Im sure there are other boxes that do similar stuff, but the concept itself is fucking genius. Its like a godsend to pu cable companies back in check or something. I am so happy with my Roku box.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

$1.99 an episode seems expensive, but if you figure that many people only truly follow 2-3 shows a week (at least among my family and friends, no more than that are "must watch" shows) then that's a maximum of $24/mo for content that they are guaranteed to want. I'm paying more than double that for the most basic cable package!

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
        The user interface is flawless. I haven't played with the sony media box, so really I cannot compare. Does it get fox, hbogo, espn, vudu, amazon, redbox instant, vevo, plex, break or play games? The remote can attach headphones and mutes the tv, thats pretty cool too. USB port? SD card slot? Wifi+ethernet plug?

I dunno if any of that is better or if it gets those channels. If it does, it sounds like the sony box is pretty cool too.

Those of you that Roku, what are your favorite channels?
        The UI on the sony box is straight and to the point, everything is in their respective category but not as sorted as the roku 3's it just puts it all in video, music, or photos, it gets everything but HBOgo, and a few other apps that are pay to watch, and no it doesn't play games, but I didn't buy it for that, I have my PC, PS3, and PS4 to do that for me, I just mainly bought it to watch a movie or TV show as I fell asleep even though I rarely do that anymore lol, but yes it has a USB port, and Ethernet/WI-FI, but no SD card slot, but that would also be somewhat useless to me anyways since I don't have one in my PC to be able to put stuff on one.

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
        1992 Accord EX Coupe
        My FS Thread
        Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Roku is cool.

I personally use my PS3 for everything.

I can stream most stuff to it, using Playstation Media Server, which decodes on the fly.

For HD content, my PS3 is hardwired to my ethernet, so I stream 1080P.

As far as acquriring content, I get anything I want for free through torrents.

Unfortunately I still pay for cable because wife. LOL.

Oh and Justin, you might want to look into updating your ROKU.

My Netflix through PS3 allows multiple profiles. I also don't pay for Netflix, my buddy let's me use his.

Comment

yup, I currently have 3 profiles on my Netflix account, mine, my brothers, and a friends, works out nicely.

1992 Accord EX Coupe
            My FS Thread
            Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Gonna look into the Roku thing

My question would be if you want the public channels, are you able to get them easily
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by almostJDM View Post
                yup, I currently have 3 profiles on my Netflix account, mine, my brothers, and a friends, works out nicely.
                Yo man still waiting on that NSX on GT5 lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                  Yo man still waiting on that NSX on GT5 lmao.
                  what? lol which one?.......ummmmmm yeah I totally forgot if you even told me lol

1992 Accord EX Coupe
                  My FS Thread

Comment

WOOT new User interface for netflix is sweet.

10 days in and I've used my cable box a few times.

I watched Walking Dead and Homeland both Sundays. Sons of anarchy last Tuesday. American Horror story on Wed and Boardwalk Empire somewhere in the middle of that.

Could've bought all of that shit except Homeland through my Roku box for $7.96(4 shows bought since HBO is free and no beuno for Homeland)

Cable bill = $192

Fucking cocksuckers. And its not like I own the shows I watched either. I would own them If I bought them through the Roku. And Homeland isn't even that good this season anyways.

Fuck cable.
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

recently discovered Twonky on the Roku and that IS FUGGIN TITS!!!

Also, I have been exploring private channels, and that is pretty cool too. I am running Plex and that is working out pretty smooth!

Comment

I Chromecast, it's ok, not full of features like Roku, but it streams Netflix perfectly in 1080.

Comment

Working...
                        X