Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up your own server!

OK cb7, I would like to learn.

I started my own photography business, and I wanted to setup a website. In the past I did so with freewebs and then bought a domain which gave us a .cc

This time, I definitely want a .com and the one I want is available. I built a free site with wix.com and figured when the time was right id upgrade and get the .com

The problem is, is that in order to do that, besides paying $30 and getting the .com for 3 years, I need to upgrade the wix to a premium account which includes 10g storage, unl bandwith, and removal of wix banners along with other things, which is $12 a month.

I don't really want to make a commitment of 100 or so bucks right now since this is a startup and I might not build the clientele to make it worthwhile.

I am pretty pc savvy and have wanted to have my own server now for a while. I have two pcs that could serve as one, if they are up to spec.

At first I thought by having my own server, id cut out the $12 a month, but upon reading on wix.com, I see that to transfer your own domain, id still have to upgrade to a premium account.

So this is why I am turning to cb7. I know there are a lot of html/web/pc tech gurus here, especially Jarrett, pandemic, cloudasc and some others.

The little research I did, found that I could dl Apache and get a server up and running on my desktop but where would I be after that?

The main draw to wix was that I can't code or write HTML, and they have very nice templates.

I have no idea what it cost to build a website, but it is MUCH more then 12$ a month LMAO.

I think my problem will be that I can't code and I can't afford to pay someone to do it.

Im just wondering if I setup a server at home, and paid for a domain lease, what options do I have for setting up a site on a limited budget?

I know that the $12/ month for the wix hosting is a good deal. You get a bunch of vouchers, they have tons of templates. To edit, you just click and dialogs pop up, its so damn easy. 10g of storage is more then enough, its just a photography site so I will rotate out my portfolio images and unlimited bandwidth is very nice. Back in the day, with the .cc, we had a cap and obv when you went over before it reset, your site was xxxxxxx lol.

So let me know what's up.

here is my site if anyone is interested in checking it out.

http://ralphricciardi.wix.com/ralphjphotography

TIA!
    Last edited by Ralphie; 10-07-2014, 10:43 PM.

get a 'what you see is what you get (WYSIWYG)' editor like front page and I can host your site for less than $13/month. Domain registration is about $20/year.
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Working...
    X