CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Appearance

Old 09-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
417HondaNoob
Newcomer

417HondaNoob is cool... so far.
Paint for Interior plastic panels?

I'm wanting to paint my interior panels from the sand color to black.

I've used the dulpcolor interior color paint that you can get at your local parts store on the center console. It worked great, but it can get chipped from heavy metal objects.

Is their a better option?

I've done 3 coats, is that enough?

Should it be clear coated?

I'm more curious about the door panels because they get the most "traffic". I want a paint that won't get sticky in the hotter time of the year.

I also don't trust the dulpcolor on fabric. I've tested it on some trash floor mats. When the paint gets wet the paint can get whipped off.
417HondaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Most instances I've heard regarding painting interior panels, especially large areas, has not been good. Most people say the paint either flakes off, or gets tacky. Honestly, your best bet would be to source a full black interior from a 91 DX (if you have a coupe) or a 91 SE (if you have a sedan.)

Since you've already painted, I would use a matte clear coat over it. Added protection can't hurt. Don't use gloss, as that will be shiny and cheap looking. With luck, modern paint is better than what I've seen people using in the past.
Hopefully you prepped the surfaces well, or you're likely to get flaking.

As for anything cloth... dye, don't paint.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
jae_rex
CB7tuner Member

jae_rex is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to jae_rex Send a message via Yahoo to jae_rex
I've have great experiences in the past using SEM interior paint. It can be purchased through an auto paint specialty store. It dries and last to an OEM finish.
09 Ruckus
92 MKII VR GTI
17 Fiesta ST
My crew SpeedeG is the featured Team Profile in vol. 5 issue 5 of S3 Magazine. Check it out.
jae_rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
Bunta
CB7tuner Member

Bunta is cool... so far.
Not dropping heavy metal objects on your interior would help Prepping the surface would be a major help too if you decide to paint. There will likely be oils dust and grime on it and in the crevices. Wash it with a rag and soapy water and then go back over it with a tack rag (or other rag that does not leave lint behind) and rubbing alcohol. Then you can apply paint prep such as Bulldog and then start with the color change.
Bunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
Corweena
CB7tuner Member

Corweena is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunta View Post
Not dropping heavy metal objects on your interior would help Prepping the surface would be a major help too if you decide to paint. There will likely be oils dust and grime on it and in the crevices. Wash it with a rag and soapy water and then go back over it with a tack rag (or other rag that does not leave lint behind) and rubbing alcohol. Then you can apply paint prep such as Bulldog and then start with the color change.
This. Prep is key. I'm pretty sure SEM has their own brand adhesion promoter too, which I've heard is perfect to use with their paints.

I actually plan on changing the color on parts of my CD7 Accord soon, so I'll let you know how it goes when the time comes lol.
Corweena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

NH-503P-3 is cool... so far.
SEM landau black is what you want. I hear it's closest to the OE black. I found the optional 92-93 tan center console that's taller. Got it from a wagon. But I need it to be gray. Anyone got any leads on a close to OE interior gray?
NH-503P-3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: