No announcement yet.

Transmission Issues - 117k mile 92 EX Wagon Auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's the other way around. In the sense that you might have a blockage on the fluid line that preventing the fluid to circulate on the trans properly and by this the temperature increases and the tranny acts up. Is the filter that you install the clear plastic type. If so you should be able to see if the fluid is flowing thru it, but be carefull because that filter might not be able to handle the pressure and temperature of the fluid and be sure you hooked it right on which one is the inflow and outflow.

Comment

The filter I installed wasn't clear, it was a black magnetic trans filter. From what I can tell the fluid is circulating. The outlet from the trans to the cooler gets very hot and the line returning from the cooler to the trans is warms up but isn't as hot.

I got another transmission tonight. Once I get the chance I will install and see what happens. Hope it fixes my problem!

Comment

Let me know how it goes!

Comment

Possible good update

Noticed again an issue with the idle where upon start up, the car would abruptly rev up to about 1300rpm, then back down to 700, and back and forth. This would only do it extremely rarely, so I grabbed a throttle position sensor from the store.

Had to slot the heads on the original hardware to pull the old one off. Connected the new one, calibrated it to 0.5v closed and 4.5v WOT. Reassembled everything, cleaned up, took it for a test drive....

Here's the magical part.....

The car perfect shifts, through acceleration and deceleration. Drove for 15-20 minutes, and the car did not drop out of gear a single time.... I can also manually change the gear lever from 1 through D4 and it functions perfectly even when going from D4 to 1. Going from neutral into D4 the car will grab the gear almost immediately, where before it would fall into gear after maybe 5-6 seconds.

Also another thing - no more TCU code. The code 15 is gone and did not return.

I'm not going to get my hopes TOO high, but this is at least a good sign. I'm going to drive it only on the weekends in case it acts up again. I don't want to get stuck on my commute to or from work in rush hour traffic. I will update once again as I drive this thing a little more over the coming weeks.

Comment

That's awesome, I hope it stays like that!

Comment

At the shop getting my inspection. Just wanted to update - wagon drives well and does not drop out of gear. Took it up to 70 on the way here and back to zero several time. Feels strong!

I will update if anything new comes up but things are looking good so far. I hope someone with a similar issue finds this thread helpful!

Comment

Figured I'd touch base again for anyone following along. Wagon is running strong still. Going to start commuting with it to see how it fairs on stop and go traffic.

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                  X