Ready for paint...Where to begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    Are you going to attempt to paint the car yourself, or have the shop do it? The cost of the paint is minor. The labor is where the money comes in.

If you're going to paint it yourself, try going to the body shop and asking where they order their paint. Ask if you could order some for yourself. If they're cool, they'll let you order at cost. If not, they'll make a profit. (they'd be smart to let you order at cost, in hopes that you'll return to them if you screw it up! )

Do you have any "budget" paint shops around? Even if it's 70 miles away, a trip to a Maaco or equivalent might be worth it. Especially if you're capable of doing any prep work beforehand. Do your research on the shop to ensure they do good work, and get at least the second cheapest job (I've had nothing but Maaco's second cheapest on my car, and it still looks good, years later. Not perfect, but I'm not complaining for the price!)
    Well, there is a fact o bake about 60 miles out. I'm not sure of the quality of their work, because I've never seen any of their paintjobs firsthand. I got a buddy of mine whos father is very reputable for paint, but he no longer has a facility to do it. I only have very few dings (I've counted 5 penny sized) that will be taken care of& primed before sending it off. The rates start around 600

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188155
    Bought from: ChampCoupe
    Sold to:Losiracer2

Comment

Might be worth a couple trips up there to check out cars that are finished and waiting to be picked up. Granted, even crappy jobs will probably look good the day they're painted! Of course, if they don't... you'll certainly know not to go there!

Does your buddy's father still have the equipment? Do you have a place you could erect a canvas carport? Those carports go for about $300 brand new. That could be used as a paint tent. It's REALLY not ideal... but it could be done. Your buddy's dad might have a connection to get good paint, too.

In most cases, though, you get what you pay for. Go cheap, and the results will likely reflect it. Go to a shop with a good reputation and a high price, and you'll probably have a paintjob that's every bit as good as the original (or better... S14s weren't exactly the highest quality things on the market...)

Comment

He has everything, just not a place to do it. He painted for around 30+ years&puts everything he's got into his work. He had got really bad off, but started up again, then recently stopped again.
        Here's one of the recent ones before he shut it back down.

The pictures really dont do justice.

Comment

I'd talk to him then, and see what your options are. Ask where he gets his paint, and look into those sites I posted. House of Kolor has been very popular among import guys. I've read that name over and over again in Super Street.

At the very worst, perhaps you could rent a shop for a couple hundred bucks (or less.)
          A few hundred for paint, a few hundred for the shop, the cost of drop cloths and other important accessories, and whatever your friend's dad would charge you to do the work. You might be able to get away with doing it under $1000, with an outcome you know you can rely on.

Comment

That car looks great their, but I can spot fake candy wannabe a mile away.

Years of work doesn't justify quality. A mans own pride does that.

House of color is way over priced. And is now owned by Debeers. A good decent quality paint that isn't quality cheap but has a resonable price would be, PPG's Deltron or global systems. Or Debeers products, Their paint isn't what I'm use to but they have awsome MS/HS clear coats.

Steer clear of napa's junk unless it's made by dupount. Also steer clear of PPG shopline, the prices will make you tend to go that route, but I can speak from years of experince, those will fail and make the biggest mess you could emagine. We've had plenty we had to repaint for free due to misleading words from our paint suppliers. We've also dropped a few suppliers when they wouldn't back up their claims on all the material we had bought and failed.
            "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
              That car looks great their, but I can spot fake candy wannabe a mile away.

Years of work doesn't justify quality. A mans own pride does that.

House of color is way over priced. And is now owned by Debeers. A good decent quality paint that isn't quality cheap but has a resonable price would be, PPG's Deltron or global systems. Or Debeers products, Their paint isn't what I'm use to but they have awsome MS/HS clear coats.

Steer clear of napa's junk unless it's made by dupount. Also steer clear of PPG shopline, the prices will make you tend to go that route, but I can speak from years of experince, those will fail and make the biggest mess you could emagine. We've had plenty we had to repaint for free due to misleading words from our paint suppliers. We've also dropped a few suppliers when they wouldn't back up their claims on all the material we had bought and failed.
              It's definitely quality work. The car looks like a big puddle of water up close. I'll check out the paint you mentioned above, and start to look into some colors.

Comment

I'm told that even dupont has some crap. Apparently that's what Maaco uses for their low-end.
                Although, I've been happy with Maaco's low-end. It's not great, but it suits my needs.
                How you plan on driving, storing, and modifying this car should also be taken into consideration. I don't have a garage, and I drive my cars hard (and I drive them a lot.) The paint takes its fair share of damage, so a "good" paintjob would be a waste of money for me.

Comment

I agree the car was slick.

Every brand of paint has it's customers they have to please.

Poor-Rich

You do get what you pay for in paint, Their is no scheme in that industry, unless you pay to much for junk on ebay. So don't buy the cheapest quality from any company.

Depending on your color, I can sell you ours at cost, + hazord shipping. Mind you it is not cheap on either end of the spectrum. But if thats no problem I'd help you out.
                  "Self Renewed"

Comment

If I wanted to respray my wagon, would I need to strip the old paint off and start fresh?
                    Could I just buy the color and the clear, do some light sanding, then go?

Comment

their is just so much, I need to add to my paint Faqs link.
                      "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
                        their is just so much, I need to add to my paint Faqs link.
                        Are you referring to this thread? http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=150457. If so, please do. Being a former paint/body person in the past, your posts are always very informative and beyond my experience.(I feel like an old guy or something when i read your latest techniques and valve cover work).

So yes, please share as much of your knowledge as you can. And everyone should know that an individual can read lots of material but hands on experience is the best. Thanks in advance!

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

Working...
                        X