Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car voltage fluctuates

Hello fellow cb7 enthusiast,

I am driving an 92 ex sedan with a H22a1 Swap. Currently using a 95 Odyssey Alternator. I am on my 3rd alternator , My voltage reading fluctuates between 12.4 to 14.3, while cruising I don't notice anything wrong it's when I come to a stop the car idle slowly falls then dies or come back up to idle. The problem is not consistent. This is very frustrating, I did not do the swap myself and have already found numerous points of crappy repairs. Please Help.

Check your ELD

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Sounds like a normal voltage regulator to me.

Comment

whats an ELD? Isn't the voltage regulator inside the alternator? Is it functioning normally so i can rule out the alternator and start looking into other possible causes?

Comment

Electronic load detector. It's in the fuse box.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
            Electronic load detector. It's in the fuse box.
            Thanks, i just read about it in the haynes manual and the symptoms match up. I have an extra fuse box i'll swap it when it stops raining here I'll keep you updated.

Comment

So I've swapped the fuse box out and symptoms are the same , I'll test the ELD how the Haynes manual suggest and go from there.

Comment

Is it 14 at higher engine rpm and drops to 12.4 or so at idle, or does it bounce around? Check all the grounds particularly the main ground to the transmission housing and body.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

1st rule from my experience and what I learned in this forum .... the first thing you do when you get your hands on a CB7 .... add ground points like crazy and clean them up !! ,,,, magically your car will run better.

Comment

My car does the exact same thing. Did changing the ELD fix the problem?

Comment

So far the ELD has not fixed the problem, this is my second cb7, I did not have this issue with my last one of 7 yrs, I used the ELD ( fuse box ) from that one and still same symptoms. I've already replaced all bad grounds and added extras. Someone told me to try the ignition switch.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                        Is it 14 at higher engine rpm and drops to 12.4 or so at idle, or does it bounce around? Check all the grounds particularly the main ground to the transmission housing and body.

Drops to 12.0 - 12.4 while driving comes back up whenever it feels like and fluctuates.

Comment

Guys, voltage regulators send 14+ volts when charging and switch to 12 when it's not. If you hook up a volt meter you'll see the voltage go from 14-12 and it should stay at 14+ under load.

If your car is dying under load try cleaning your grounds or replacing the wires.

Comment

Working...
                          X