Oil Light Flickers, Then Flashes - Now Overfilled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Light Flickers, Then Flashes - Now Overfilled

I haven't been here in a while....which was due to this 92 5-speed that I bought in 2005 with 130K was still running day after day with no issues.

However, a few days ago while driving around city roads, I noticed the oil light started to flicker as it would approach idle speed. Revving it would put the light out. I was scared to death, pulled over, and the dipstick showed my oil at the bottom hole. From what I have known for years, the bottom hole means your 1 quart down and I didn't think that would throw the light.

I parked the car and the next morning checked dipstick (sitting overnight) and found it be by the same bottom hole. I added the left over oil (about a quart) from the same 5 quart jug I used on the oil change in November 2016. I added half of the amount and it brought it up between the 2 holes....so I added all that was in the jug. I also decided to check my pcv valve and it did not rattle when shaken...so I removed it, cleaned it....and put it back on.

The next morning I check the level after driving a few miles and level is about 1.5 inches above the top hole. I know I could not have put more than I quart of oil in it. The car has never burned oil between changes and it does have leaks around the valve cover but nothing to warrant this.

Any ideas?

P.S. The light has not come on since I added oil.
    1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

How many miles now on the car? What weight oil are you using?

Did you give it a minute or two to drain, then wipe the dipstick before checking it?

If it really shows as being overfilled, drain the oil into a clean container and measure it. You can always put it back in if not due for a change.

A bad pressure switch is not uncommon, but to be sure install a pressure gage at least temporarily to actually measure the pressure.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

The car has 160,800 miles and I used 5W-30 since it was over winter. I think I will do as u suggested. I will drain it into a clean container and then put it back since the oil only has 800 miles on it.

Can a stuck pcv valve ever cause low oil pressure....or the oil light to come on?

Comment

A sticky PCV won't cause oil pressure problems. It could cause oil to get into the intake though and smoke a bit.

Oil pressure problems could be from many things like bearing clearance, oil pump failure, low oil, relief valve malfunction, clogged pump screen, or possibly a failing oil sender.

If you check your oil as soon as you shut off the car, it's going to read high.

Comment

Thank you guys. I will drain into a clean pan and refill on Saturday. I will then monitor the oil every gas fill up.

So far the car runs as it has.....and the light has not returned.

Comment

Is the oil level still reading high?
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
            X