RPM Needle Jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM Needle Jumping

Ok, so I read all the various post on RPM Hopping, but none seem to have my problem. My car is running fine. The car start, idles perfect, shifts perfect, and rides like a dream, but the RPM gauge needle bounces up and then down, but its idling perfect and drive perfect! This bouncing has no effect on the engine itself. I switch gears and the car drives great, but as I am on the highway, street, or just parked, the needle continues to bounce high then low and then high and low. It basically hops and sometimes goes all the way to seven and back, but the car runs normal. I've had this problem for a while, but could not figure it out so let it be. It finally got really annotying watching it all the time. Some people even thought that my needle was moving to the music of my bass and asked me how to do that. So now I am sick of people asking me why the needle is moving so much. Either way its annoying and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might be the cause. Keep in mind the engine is running great, its not like the car revs up and down or anything. Its just the damn needle thats freaking moving so much. Input please and as always thank you in advance.

Originally posted by DIYaccord
    Ok, so I read all the various post on RPM Hopping, but none seem to have my problem. My car is running fine. The car start, idles perfect, shifts perfect, and rides like a dream, but the RPM gauge needle bounces up and then down, but its idling perfect and drive perfect! This bouncing has no effect on the engine itself. I switch gears and the car drives great, but as I am on the highway, street, or just parked, the needle continues to bounce high then low and then high and low. It basically hops and sometimes goes all the way to seven and back, but the car runs normal. I've had this problem for a while, but could not figure it out so let it be. It finally got really annotying watching it all the time. Some people even thought that my needle was moving to the music of my bass and asked me how to do that. So now I am sick of people asking me why the needle is moving so much. Either way its annoying and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what might be the cause. Keep in mind the engine is running great, its not like the car revs up and down or anything. Its just the damn needle thats freaking moving so much. Input please and as always thank you in advance.
    I'd be looking towards the Blue RPM Output Signal Wire and/or connections from the Igniter in the Dizzy. Check the Ground Wires as well.

Comment

check your coil, igniter, and wire going to coil for resistence values.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
      "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
      "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Whats the dizzy and where is the blue connector wire located?

Comment

Originally posted by DIYaccord
          Whats the dizzy and where is the blue connector wire located?
          a dizzy is a distributor

mine hopped from 3k-6k and it turned out to be my ignitor
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

if you have a haynes manual. chapter 5 page 4..the exploded view bottom of page. tach output is labeled a B. it is a blue wire fron the ignitor.

link below is of nology instruction...using it only for ignitor pics so you can see what it looks like.

http://www.nology.com/images/hondaac...tionmodule.gif

i beleive it what guru is talking about

good luck tomd

Comment

Sounds like a bad ground wire.
              Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
              registration is free

Comment

Ima check that ground wire and see if that resolves it, if not then I will move on to the igniter. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I'm going to say the igniter. The wires get loose over time and just need to be "tightened". There are like 4-5 male/female connection on it, take a pair of pliers and slightly crimp the female connectors so it is a bit harder to put on the male connectors, should straighten you right out. L8r
                  Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                  01-01-2019

Comment

if you have a piece of equipment that uses a large electrical load then it will do this as well.

when my sub hits my tach jumps a notch as well.

Comment

I dont have any heavy electrical load. Even when the sub is off and everything else it still does it. I will check the wires this week as I am on travel. Thanks for the input though. All of you are really helpful.

Comment

You guys are geniuses. I checked inside the dizzy and found a loose wire. Plugged it back in, problem solved! Thanks to all of you! You are all geniuses

Comment

Mine did this for a long time. I replaced the stock coil with a msd blaster 2 and it solved the problem. So i guess it could also be realated.
                          SuddenCb7 - 1992 Honda Accord EX Coupe

Comment

its the distributor. same problem, just replace the whole thing and enjoy!
                            To have loved and lost is better than to have never loved at all #CB7Life

Comment

Working...
                            X