Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22B block w/ a1 head??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22B block w/ a1 head??

I hope I'm not reposting this question but I didn't find quite what I was looking for.

I picked up a DOHC F22B shortblock not too long ago for cheap. I know the heads are rare (and expensive) so I am planning to put an a1 head on it.

Since the pistons have DOHC valve reliefs (and more compression), will there be issues with valve to piston contact with the a1 head

I know people have taken the JDM F22B DOHC head installed onto F22ax SOHC block. I would think you can vice versa. Yes, the F22B has 9.2 compression, the F22ax is 8.8. Anyhow, even the F22ax SOHC has 4 valves per cylinder. Ultimately, you should check the piston to valve clearance regardless, just to make sure. Use an old headgasket, but I wouldn't think you would have problems because they are still dished/flat pistons on the F22B. Heck, on my 12:1 domed pistons for a F22ax block and head, I had plenty of room surprisingly even 6 deg advanced and 4 retarded, well designed pistons and reliefs.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

ok, good to know.

How do I check the valve clearance? This is the first motor I've ripped apart so I'm kind of a noob.

Comment

You should be fine. Get a used headgasket, installed the head with proper torque, installed timing belt as you would normally and rotate crank slowly, do it a couple full rotations, if all is fine you're okay. If you feel it bind up, don't force it, you obviously have inteference. This is not the proper way officially, it'll take to long and confuse you if I do. But you should have plenty of clearance, the combination of parts have plenty of room, they are not crowded, I'd be very surprised if you had interference.

If you want to know how to properly do it, Google it. Then, you can make sense of it with photos and explanations.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

ah yeah thats kind of what i thought.

Now i just need to reassemble it and buy a head.

thanks for the info.

Comment

follow up the head swap with a bisimoto cam. You'll have a much better engine than a stock f22b.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

would i get flamed for suggesting KMS internal parts?

Comment

has anyone flamed you yet?

id say KMS is just a large production machine shop. nothing more and nothing less.

bisimoto is much more specialized.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
                  has anyone flamed you yet?

id say KMS is just a large production machine shop. nothing more and nothing less.

bisimoto is much more specialized.
                  [/QUOTE]has anyone flamed you yet? [QUOTE]

Im not flame proof dude ! tu: I agree with you about KMS but If and when I one day get my CB going again I aim using a 260 delta and KMS.

Comment

yeah i'm planning on getting ahold of some bisimoto parts. The setup is going to be a F2D in a 1990 hatch. Planning on a sleeper nitrous setup (engine should look relatively stock too as its going to be a sohc still)

I kind of want to up the compression and do some headwork since i have everything apart but I'm a student paying for my own everything so I cant really afford that level yet.

Comment

^ nice !

Comment

as a side note, i was wondering where i would be able to get those sleeves that you use to compress the piston rings to drop them back into the block? Or is there another (cheaper??) way to do it?

Comment

bump about those piston ring compression sleeve tools...? I want to get this shortblock together and smack a head on there!

Comment

any parts store that rents the tools out, make sure you get the right ring (at least a 86mm)

if you are he-man, you can compress the rings by hand.

remember, to clean those cylinder walls and lube the piston skirts and cylinder walls with clean engine oil. dont knick that crank!

move the journal to the lowest position (towards the oil pan) in regards to the piston you are installing.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

haha yeah i feel dumb now. I searched ebay and its filled with those things. I went to harbor freight a few days ago but they didnt have it. I'm just going to pick one up from ebay since my friend is going to need one with his Corrado ABA/G60 hybrid build anyway.

and no, I'm really weak. Sometimes I can do the "mind over matter" stuff with muscling parts in by hand, but my twigs for arms can only do so much haha

thanks so much for all your guys help so far. This place is 100x better than honda tech.

by the way, how do i go about getting into the classfieds section? Do I just need more posts?

Comment

Working...
                              X