80's survivors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80's survivors

Thought you guys might like this. My Dad asked for my help Saturday to check out a car he was interested in, it checked out ok so he bought it. 1985 Honda Prelude DX, 5 speed with 64000 miles. Was only used in the summer as a fun car by the previous owner. I decided to have a little photoshoot after he washed it, with my 1986 Saab 900S that I rescued from the auto auction a few months ago.

My Dad also has three red 1987 CRX Si's, one is a project and the other 2 are for parts. He just wanted an old car to get in and cruise this summer. The Prelude runs and drives like a new car, it's really a time capsule.
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

so clean any interior shots???

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

My Dad took a few interior shots.

Just needs a bit of cleaning.

Comment

I can't say I have ever seen a Prelude like that on the road ever in my life. In any condition.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
          I can't say I have ever seen a Prelude like that on the road ever in my life. In any condition.
          I havent either.
          That thing is awesome! Blown away by the condition. Mind if I ask how much it was purchased for?

Cool Saab too.

RIP my last two CB7s.
          New rides:
          '82 Volvo 245 drift project
          '87 Volvo 244 daily
          Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

I spent 3 summers cruising around in one of them back in the day.... great pick up!

Not many of those have survived up here! If they have, they are still hiding in a garage.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

My Dad purchased the Prelude for $2500, from the original owner (got the original title with it showing 7 miles at time of delivery). There is a tiny bit of rust on the rocker but easily fixed. These cars just don't exist anymore.

Saab is pretty cool too. Showed up at the local auto auction and I bought it for kicks. Turns out it spent the last 8 years in a garage, and was well taken care of. I only had to put a new battery, fresh oil and gas, and pump up the tires. Car runs great and passed state inspection no problem. My gf and I have put about 1k miles on it since. Have all the original dealer paperwork including invoice, most of the service records including a transmission rebuild at 137k miles by the Saab dealer, transmission shifts butter smooth. It's really an interesting car, handles amazing for a FWD car and there is zero torque steer even if you turn the wheels all the way and nail it from a stop, just pulls. Awesome design. I'll be sad when it sells.

Comment

I love this old style of Prelude and always wanted one of these in red. Sounds like your dad got a great find.

As for the Saab, I work at a Navy base and our deputy commodore drives a 2-door one of these. He got it from his dad and he's had it for years and loves it. While he could afford to buy a much newer and nicer car, he prefers that Saab and loves the way it drives.

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                My Dad purchased the Prelude for $2500, from the original owner (got the original title with it showing 7 miles at time of delivery). There is a tiny bit of rust on the rocker but easily fixed. These cars just don't exist anymore.

Saab is pretty cool too. Showed up at the local auto auction and I bought it for kicks. Turns out it spent the last 8 years in a garage, and was well taken care of. I only had to put a new battery, fresh oil and gas, and pump up the tires. Car runs great and passed state inspection no problem. My gf and I have put about 1k miles on it since. Have all the original dealer paperwork including invoice, most of the service records including a transmission rebuild at 137k miles by the Saab dealer, transmission shifts butter smooth. It's really an interesting car, handles amazing for a FWD car and there is zero torque steer even if you turn the wheels all the way and nail it from a stop, just pulls. Awesome design. I'll be sad when it sells.

Comment

i freaking hate saabs (sorry lol) but i will gladly look at that one because its next to such a beautiful prelude. seriously that thing is in excellent condition. How does the engine bay look? still clean, or what?

i wonder how hard it would be to find one of those fender mouldings...........

Current cars:

Comment

While Saabs don't look the best, you have to give them some credit. They were the first to produce conventional turbocharged family cars.

Comment

I really like the Saab, honestly. It's an engineer's car, really fun to drive and just some many odd little features that make it that much better. Seriously, drive one if you can. A 16V DOHC and manual like mine, preferably.

I am selling it, however, got my eye on something else now. Seems I'm becoming a classic car dealer of sorts, now that I have so many old cars of my own, people are asking me about them and even offering cars to me. Not a bad biz to be in really, more fun than selling Corollas and other late model junk.

My Dad should be driving it soon, he ordered a bunch of maintenance parts, needed a radiator and the timing belt has never been changed! He actually had a bit of trouble finding a radiator, none of the stores he initially called had one in stock so ordered a Spectra from Rockauto. They canceled the order saying they couldn't find one! He did find a local auto part store that could get one. The joys of owning old oddball cars.

Comment

What turned me off was when I worked on my friend's Saab - a similar model, and he was having clutch issues. I was appalled to find the clutch master cylinder INSIDE the cabin, leaking onto the carpet. Then, I went to find the slave cylinder INSIDE the transmission! Who makes a hydraulic throwout bearing? It was leaking, and draining clutch fluid directly onto the clutch disc itself. Even the bleeder nipple is at an angle and doesn't fully extend out of the trans casing, so while you're bleeding the excess dribbles right back down into the open transmission onto the clutch disc. Plus, the brake and clutch fluid share a common reservoir so when the clutch goes out, so do the brakes!

after that experience, I decided I would never own a Saab. Hondas are WAY better though out and easier to fix, in my opinion.

It looks to be in good condition, so don't get me wrong im sure its a good car. Just not for me.

Current cars:

Comment

Thank god the new saabs aren't setup the same way. The saab is clean just never liked that style.

Comment

wow! That amazing. I'm a huge SAAB fan myself and have owned a 1987 900s, a 1988 900s and a 1997 saab 9000. I love that prelude too, and am very jealous! This thread reminds me of how I've spent the last decade trying to come up with money for new cars, when in reality all I really want are pre 1993 cars. I've always said that if I were to win $100,000,000 I would have a fleet of sub $3,000 cars from 1975-1993 mostly jap, german, and swedish lol. Thanks for the pics!!
                            For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

Comment

WOW. Those are beauties.

However, should you find your Saab has gone missing, just check my driveway. I'm such a sucker for old Saabs.

Did anyone else notice the red CRX half covered by a tarp in the background? MOAR INFO!
                              Last edited by crazymikey; 05-28-2015, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X