TheFunk : 1989 Volvo 240 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheFunk : 1989 Volvo 240 GL

So we finally found a good one after the last one blew up. See: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203300

MOST CURRENT PIC:

After some careful craigslist searching and planning we drove down to Seward, AK for this beautiful wagon.

We got extremely lucky with this one, very well maintained. Has every service record, owners manual, pamphlet, service manual, pretty much everything.

Had just a broken out rear window and a couple small spots of rust in the holes for a trim piece... both of which I fixed yesterday.

Getting one in Alaska, especially one that spent at least 5 years a quarter mile from the ocean, in this condition is a really hard thing to do. We're going to keep it clean and rust free for as long as we have it.

-ENGINE-
    -Stock B23F single cam 2.3L
    -Auto transmission

Plans: IPD VX Camshaft and VX Adjustable Cam Gear

-EXHAUST-

-stock+chrome tip

Plans: 240 Turbo exhaust

-EXTERIOR-

-Added front lip from 242
    -Plastidip
    -Amber tinted corners
    -Thule rack
    -Tint

Plans:
    -mount 740 series lip to 242 lip.
    -custom single round headlight conversion

-SUSPENSION/WHEELS-

-Stock suspension/brand new shocks, struts, bushings
    -White painted hubcaps to match the CB7

Plans:
    -Have someone holding lowering springs for us. 2 inch drop.
    -We also have some OEM Volvo alloys for the summer tires that are waiting to be sandblasted.

-INTERIOR-
    -amber LED lighting
    -"buck skin" leather everything
    -4" Kicker speakers up front and custom box in back with two 4x6 Kicker mids and 10" sub.

Plans:
    -Gutting it this summer. Will be replacing heater fans, heater core, repainting dash, repainting trim, insulating doors, re-carpeting, repairing all wiring harnesses. Going to try and do it on a 3 day weekend but expect it will take longer.
    Last edited by TheFunk; 03-06-2015, 05:43 PM.

RIP my last two CB7s.
    New rides:
    '82 Volvo 245 drift project
    '87 Volvo 244 daily
    Born2DieApparel.com

nice score, looks like a clean 89.
    CB7TUNER.com
    Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

So square, yet so hip.

Love me an 80s brick.

Comment

Busy weekend.

Got a full tuneup done today (except oil change, running Seafoam in the oil for 200 miles first).
        Also installed a stereo and some front speakers, and cheap 8" sub I had lying around for now... shopping around for something big and some rear speakers.
        Got all of the amber LEDs wired up and will soon swap the gauge lights out with some brighter ones to match.
        Used a whole pack of armor all leather wipes today and plan to do a full pack worth of the leather protection wipes tomorrow. Will post some pictures of the interior tomorrow.

Edit: Got a Kicker comp 12" sub to replace that little sub... Will post pics once I'm done reupholstering the box.
        Last edited by TheFunk; 10-13-2014, 02:52 PM. Reason: update

RIP my last two CB7s.
        New rides:
        '87 Volvo 244 daily
        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

More work today, didn't get as far as planned but progress nonetheless.

Tinted the windows, turned out pretty good. 20% Gila tint.

Getting cleaner day by day.

The lip was pretty trashed but I fixed it up with some jb weld, sandpaper, and paint. Sanded most of the scratches and scuffs out of the bumpers, then painted them satin black.

Last edited by TheFunk; 10-13-2014, 03:11 AM.

RIP my last two CB7s.
          New rides:
          '87 Volvo 244 daily
          Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

check out FCP-Euro if you haven't already, they sell alot of reproduction lighting for the 240 including a euro headlight set for $300, nice new glass headlights. Well they were $300 but the price seems to fluctuate.

Also, go to the Volvo dealer if you need stuff. make a friend at the parts counter, as Volvo still has 240 stuff in stock. I was able to get some replacement interior pieces, like the rear seat latch (Actually I still have it if you need one) and other little things that were broken. The Volvo interior plastic is very brittle and will break if you frown at it, so be prepared.
            Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 10-13-2014, 11:42 AM.
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
              check out FCP-Euro if you haven't already, they sell alot of reproduction lighting for the 240 including a euro headlight set for $300, nice new glass headlights.
              Haven't checked that site out before, seems similar selection and prices to IPDusa fron a quick glance. Not interested in spending $300+ to swap the plastic headlight cover for a glass one. I'm actually doing custom retrofitted headlights similar to what Awful Hero did to his 240 on the Stanceworks forums... But I'm going to try and do it better.

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
              Also, go to the Volvo dealer if you need stuff... Volvo interior plastic is very brittle and will break if you frown at it, so be prepared.
              I'm actually acquainted with a guy who goes by the name of "the Volvo Doctor" and has 400+ Volvos on his property and a network of friends with parts.
              I swear any time I do interior work in it some of the plastic breaks, but I just keep patching it until the part needs replacing

RIP my last two CB7s.
              New rides:
              '87 Volvo 244 daily
              Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

I actually shattered the center console in mine when I pulled everything out, luckily my Dad had a new one in his parts dept that someone ordered and never picked up.
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I got to say those are some interesting looking headrests.

Try not to set this one on fire.
                  Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                    I got to say those are some interesting looking headrests.
                    They are terribly uncomfortable to rest your head on, but they are some of the coolest looking headrests out there IMO.

Try not to set this one on fire.
                    Haha. If I had a nickel for every time I heard that...

RIP my last two CB7s.
                    New rides:
                    '87 Volvo 244 daily
                    Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Did my best attempt at wrapping the new sub box, kinda want to redo... Looks decent though.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                      New rides:
                      '87 Volvo 244 daily
                      Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

I work for a Volvo dealership so let me know if I can ever help
                        " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Some updates on the wagon:

We plastidipped the hood black. The paint on the top and roof is worn enough that if you run a white rag across it you will get some red on the rag.
                          This summer we will be plastidipping the whole thing a maroon color. Will be repainting eventually.

I used some cheap eBay vinyl to do amber corners. Got cheap results, so I'll redo them when I do the round headlight conversion.
                          EDIT: I just realized there was still a layer of clear protective film on the outside of the vinyl, after removing it they look GREAT.

I rebuilt a new box for the sub recently. 3 chamber MDF box sprayed with bedliner. Rustoleum bedliner really isnt very durable, the dog has done some damage already. Sounds great though and now I dont have to cut holes anywhere to add rear speakers (mounted 4x6 speakers on it).

Since we had the car all the wires in the hinges for the rear hatch were broken, finally had the time to tear it all apart and repair them. I dont expect it to last forever since I just spliced/soldered and moved the wires so they bend at a new spot in the cable. Finally having center brakelight, rear wiper, rear defrost, and license plate lights is nice.

And my next project... These are the rims from the Volvo that caught fire. 3 have melted tire and 1 is intact. Today I'm brainstorming a good way to get the tire off without re-spraining my wrist. Anybody have any tips?
                          Will be sandblasting and polishing the rims once I get the tires off.

Oh and we have lowering springs! Just waiting to pick them up from our Volvo parts guy.

Edit: Heater core is also going out, will have to gut the hell out of the car when I replace it... going to have a lot of side projects going on when everything is gutted.
                          Last edited by TheFunk; 02-13-2015, 08:59 PM.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                          New rides:
                          '87 Volvo 244 daily
                          Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Still can't get over the funky headrests. But my suggestion would be to use a dremmel to cut the bad tires and no need for forcing the tire over the outer rim.
                            Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Still can't get over the funky headrests. But my suggestion would be to use a dremmel to cut the bad tires and no need for forcing the tire over the outer rim.
                              My girlfriend loves the funky headrests. The back of my head isnt a big fan of them though.

Good thinking with the dremel, I currently have one I'm borrowing but really have limited experience with these... What sort of bit would be used for cutting the tire?

RIP my last two CB7s.
                              New rides:
                              '87 Volvo 244 daily
                              Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Working...
                              X