No announcement yet.

Running car with no exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll only drive it to the exhaust shop, which is less than 1/2 a mile from the shop. Either that, or fab one up myself. Besides I think the slave cylinder I have is shit anyways. I'm getting no movement on it and I have bleed the clutch line, so I still have to replace that first.

Yeah it's starting to get pretty cold around here, in New Mexico, also.

Member's Ride

Comment

If you can at least get the dp on it you'll be good. Having a leak in mani or not having any exhaust after the mani is what will usually toast your valves. Backpressure is not good for power. Why do you think people get bigger exhausts? Cause it flows better equalling less back pressure. My flex pipe is completely toast and all my exhaust dumps right before the cat on full throttle. Its been like this for over 2 going on three months now. The car still runs good and is getting faster every time I take it down the strip.
      Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
      registration is free

Comment

Originally posted by koolkoreanked
        If you can at least get the dp on it you'll be good. Having a leak in mani or not having any exhaust after the mani is what will usually toast your valves. Backpressure is not good for power. Why do you think people get bigger exhausts? Cause it flows better equalling less back pressure. My flex pipe is completely toast and all my exhaust dumps right before the cat on full throttle. Its been like this for over 2 going on three months now. The car still runs good and is getting faster every time I take it down the strip.
        question: how would running no exhaust increase back pressure?
        -Mark-
        CB7
        CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
        Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by ACC0RD22
          question: how would running no exhaust increase back pressure?
          Show me where I said it would.
          Oil leak?What oil leak? That's just sweat from all that horsepower!

Applied knowledge is power!

NITROUS FOR YOUR BODY

BIRTHDAYS ARE JUST AROUND THE CORNER
          registration is free

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
            I ran the exhaust on my white 91 EX for months with holes in the "S-bend" area of our exhaust piping. Anyhow, when I finally had my exhaust fixed (temporarily) because it started to get louder, I noticed cylinder #3 is dead (misfires at idle) and pulled cyl #3 spark plug and it made no difference while car was idling.

Anyhow, my theory is that somehow running the car with them holes in the exhaust for so long, may have to do with why cylinder #3 most likely has burnt exhaust valve(s) and doesn't hold compression. I haven't verfied 100% that it's the exhaust valves though, all I know is that cylinder #3 does not hold compression. However, why just cylinder #3 then? I'm not sure. I await to disect the engine when I get the built one dropped in.

I'm not worried about it though, still starts and runs, I have my red 91 DX almost prepped to start driving. I have a built motor going into the white 91 EX eventually.
            This is relevent how? Stop thread-jacking.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocker
              This is relevent how? Stop thread-jacking.
              Oh cool....I was unaware that we had a new mod with a post count of 1. Dude, shut the hell up and don't talk crap until you know people here. HondaFan81 is VERY highly respected here, unlike you.

Comment

PWNED.. lol

i know of a few ppl running open header.. (just a top portion of a header) on a few honda's and have yet to have any valve problems.. maybe its because were in florida :smile: lol.. not sure never really looked into it but.. if its the fact that they get cool rapidly.. then.. wouldnt having the top portion sufice? sp

considering that it stays hot being metal just abuot as long as the valves would? hell even the bottom portion of a 4-2-1 header which is further away from the head stays just as hot if not a lil cooler but no real difference in temperature..

and.. if it IS the heat problem.. then.. couldnt headerwrap come to the rescue in increasing those temperatures? just some thought..

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Working...
                X