Your Financial Mistake Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
    I wouldn't buy an NSX for performance numbers. A 2018 Camaro SS could blow it out the water numbers-wise.

You also have to consider the market, legality, safety etc. of those things back in the 90s. Completely different beast here in 2017.

I'd be willing to bet that today's engineers work much harder for stock performance than they did back then. Just the fact that they have to pack so much into these vehicles and still come out with impressive track times is testament to how far we have come.

Also, I'd be willing to bet with new material development and manufacturing processes that cars' chassis are simpler than they were in the 90's. Engineers don't add stuff just because, and they will take away what's not necessary to appease the bean counters.

Torque-vectoring, hybrid drive, DI, aero, FEA/CAD...there has been tons done to improve vehicle performance. I'll start a new thread on this topic...I don't think we have a "new vs old" thread.
    Valid points, especially in terms of progress in FEA/CFD/Engine management technology. What i was getting at, however, is that so much more of development budgets get absorbed by just keeping up with not only changing and regionally diverse regulation specifications, but also consumer values that no longer recognize the value of the analog experience of the car, instead prioritizing the very digitalized, shallow, and oftentimes completely irrelevant "feature points". Steering feel and driving sensation has been eschewed in favor of rim size and horsepower numbers.

It's like marrying a woman based solely on the size of her breasts, ignoring how crazy, lazy, faithful, healthy, mentally stable, fun, interesting, competent, or intelligent she may be. "This chick is bat-shit crazy, but all we gotta do is just slap some bigger tits on 'er, and she's 100% good-to-go!"

I like the idea of the new-versus-old thread. I'm there.

Comment

As far as my financial mistake car, sadly it was the Civic. To give you a hint, I'm probably going to small claims court over engine swap #2. Lesson learned? My daily driver needs to trap 100 or more, especially if it's stickshift. Every time I go from the G to the Civic I'm blown away by how slow the Civic is. I don't know how I was OK to trade the Z for it.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        I may have found something of a 'poor man's alternative' to the NSX, from a brand I didn't even think to look into. A Porsche Cayman S (987) with roughly 55k miles is currently going for mid-$20,000s right now. That's about what a clean used Evo/STi asks. Since the collector market doesn't care about a Porsche that isn't a 911 or some sort of classic, they may even depreciate a bit more still. I got a quote to add one to my insurance, and the increase would actually be less than what my RSX is currently costing me under full coverage. They seem to be as reliable as any Honda as well.

Personally, the 987's got just about every quality that attracts me to the NSX: gorgeous looks (I'd change a few things), MR drivetrain, NA six-cylinder, outstanding handling. Parts prices are no doubt steep because of the badge when something does break, but when you've got something else to drive, parking the car for a bit to afford them might be worth the hassle. I'm seriously considering straightening some things out over the next few years to pick one up.
        Another idea is the Lotus Evora. Body parts and electronics may be a bit hard to find, but the engine is the old Camry V6. So no worries about IMS leaks and the like, and actually a decent aftermarket. They do cost a good bit more though.

You are right though; the Cayman is... well before they moved to the WRX engine (kidding kidding)... the modern NSX. I don't think I'll ever do another 2 seat car again, but if I did that would be on my short list.

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          I always wanted a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.
          How about this?

Nothing much under the hood, just a CTS-V motor.

Saw at the Goodguys show in Ft. Worth a couple weeks back. The owner said he picked it up for $40k. I'd change the wheels and roll that sucker.
          My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
          Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
          Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

The way my accord is going it's gonna end up my financial mistake car. Outside of that something like an NSX or S2000 could easily put me in debt to do it right by my standards.

Comment

Working...
            X